JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well i picked up my first Ak in a trade today I have never had any interaction with them. I do know a little about the rifle, it is a Norinco hunter I was told it was a type 2 but dont know what that means or how to verify.

Also I was wondering if anyone had links on how to identify how old the rifle is, I have tried the search engines and didnt find much, maybe I was not asking the right questions?

Anyhow any help and info is greatly appreciated, also anyone personal likes and dislikes on these rifles,

Well its no newer than 1994. Its probably about as collectible as an unconverted Saigax39 rifle. I believe 'Type II' means that there is no factory-installed optical side mount. Apparently they make a great base for a Galil clone.

Keith

that would make sense the guy told me it was made before the brady act went into effect,

it does looked to be drilled for a scope mount, but I didnt care too much for the looks of the scope on them anyhow.

I saw one of those for sale on Outdoorstrader the guy wants $700 for it.
Interesting none the less. Shame that they went with that style of FCG. The Saiga .308 suffered the same fate. Had they just gone with a standard trigger it would have made all the difference.

I've always found the 'Hunter' style, whether it be Saiga, Valmet, etc, to be a little goofy looking for an AK, but I definitely see the utility of one if actually used for hunting. That 30 rounder hanging off there is probably overkill, but decent 10-round and 5-round AK mags can be had relatively inexpensively. I actually use converted 10-round Saiga mags when I shoot regular AKs from prone position.

Keith

Oh, small world.
I would say its going to be a collector piece. Much like the Saiga 100 and PAR-1 pump AK series and others.
15-20 years from now they'll be scarce. Great for the collector.

Yeah, dont know how many times I have run into someone I have done a deal with. And honestly this forum and sometimes OT has proven to have some great people. Kind of odd that Crazy gun owning folks can actually be decent honest humans.

these were made to the same receiver design as the Galil and Valmet's Hunter based on the M62; the latter is quite collectible, the former is basically popular....you could convert it to a Galil clone or a Valmet M62 clone.. or you could leave it alone and use it as is..

this should make it even better. the 386 in oval on the receiver means it was made by polytech! so a good score. I would just leave it the way it is and some time down the road it will be worth much more than you spent on it.

these were made to the same receiver design as the Galil and Valmet's Hunter based on the M62; the latter is quite collectible, the former is basically popular....you could convert it to a Galil clone or a Valmet M62 clone.. or you could leave it alone and use it as is..

Yep.. A lot of people have converted the Norinco Hunter into a 7.62x39 Galil/Valmet clone. Not very hard to do.

However there are a lot of people that like these rifles and will pay top-dollar for them as collectibles. If you decide to modify it, consider this and think about selling it before you potentially lessen the value by irreversibly modifying it.

Here is one given the Galil treatment:

Bv2PR8b.jpg

this should make it even better. the 386 in oval on the receiver means it was made by polytech! so a good score. I would just leave it the way it is and some time down the road it will be worth much more than you spent on it.

Actually, it just means it was made in factory 386. Norinco and PolyTech are the Chinese export companies that sell rifles made in Chinese state-owned factories. Norinco and PolyTech both exported rifles from factory 386 (and other factories).

I personally think the stock appearance would be more..useful for you....yeah, you lose the awesome pistol grip, and the various doodads and such but..honestly? that or the Kel-tec SU-16 or the Remington Woodmaster/Gamemaster/autos/ 716 pump ....I would pick that over them every time....

During that importation era........

The Poly Tech "Legend" was the milled receiver version. They sell for top dollar today as collectables. They also had the regular sheet metal versions.

The Norinco was seen as the everyday man's AK. They are made with thicker sheet metal than they typical Euro import of today. Not to mention, that Norinco tried to supply Los Angeles street gangs with full auto AKs and other "destructive toys." Of course the Chinese Govt says Norinco wasn't to blame.

Never the less, both are collectable today because they aren't imported anymore.

Aloha, Mark

PS........if you decide to convert that rifle to a "real AK" style firearm, please follow the law as the to the number of US made parts count.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top