JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which AK?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
$500 for the converted Saiga vs. $590 for the Polish. I am a fan of wood furniture (Polish) and the bayonet, but want the better gun. I looked at a WASR, and want a nicer weapon. Just looking for some advise.

Thanks in advance.

A better description of how the Saiga was converted is necessary for an accurate answer. With the Saiga you get a Russian receiver and if it has been converted into something like an AK-103 clone, I'd go for that. The Polish rifle has a milled US receiver if I'm not mistaken, but there is absolutely no difference between a milled or stamped receiver as far as accuracy, durability, etc is concerned. Plus the Polish rifle looks cool, especially with a bayonet. Both are good prices, even if the Saiga is just a basic conversion. If I had my druthers, I'd go for the Saiga, assuming that part of the conversion was to have it accept regular AK magazines.

Keith

There's a few factors to look at in making that decision. For example, if you want an old-school, Cold War-era classic looking gun, you'll probably save money by going for the Polish AK as opposed to converting a Saiga and modifying it have that look (or buying one that's already received that kind of treatment). If you're ok with more modern aesthetics you're better off with the Saiga conversion. But that of course, it also depends on how well the Saiga conversion is done, and to what extent is it converted.

Thanks to all for the input. Without knowing the quality of the Classic Arms (not Century) conversion on the Saiga, the Polish it is.

By the time I upgraded the stock on the Saiga I would be way ahead w/ the Polish. I figured that I could easily throw an AK wood stock on the Saiga, but nooo! Unfortunately, it sounds like a real hassle - and expensive.

I have not had a Polish, but I have had WASRs and Yugos as well as my Saiga. Ive owned an unconverted Saiga 223 and a converted Saiga 762...

I LOVE the Saiga 762. Accuracy is great, even if I am just casually blasting cans at 50 yards.

Now, that being said... any AK is a good AK, if its your only one.

The Saiga.
Honestly.. Milled is great and all, but read some of the articles pertaining to the downside of Milled rifles.
Also, a 1960's AKM? How decent is the barrel? I'm assuming its been used?

As the older kits run out, fewer and fewer newly built kit rifles have the original barrels. If its new, most likely it will have a US barrel.

Keith

Ohp, my bad. I assumed when someone writes a "1960's" Polish STYLE AKM that they had indeed meant a 1960's era Polish AKM. It was right before I had rushed off to work haha. Just misread and responded without thinking.. I'm not a morning person I guess.

But yes, I did know and do realize most if not all use US made barrels and for the most part receivers as well
(Assembled domestically.) ..Now that I've had my coffee. :)

i think its fun to build up stuff that you buy. me, i'd go saiga and slowly build it as the checks come in, part by part. stock saiga's are pretty cheap too. if you like modding your cars bikes and guns then go saiga. it also forces you to become more knowledgable about your firearm.