JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in the initial stages of planning a Caribou hunt for 2019. I'm a novice hunter, but would be going with an experienced hunter (but no AK experience specifically). I have a couple questions:
  1. Any recommended services/guides?
  2. DIY/drop off vs fully guided? I know there can be a huge price discrepancy here, but if we've got a reasonable shot at success on our own I'd lean towards that.
  3. Ballpark budget?
  4. Min time? I was thinking 5 days.
  5. Any gear you wished you would have taken and/or would not go up without.

Thanks for any advice and your time.

I hope you get some answers in this thread.

My buddy lived in Wasilla and hunted everything up there, including 'Boo. Do you have an idea of what area you wish to visit? Or just anyplace you can harvest one?

I hope you get some answers in this thread.

My buddy lived in Wasilla and hunted everything up there, including 'Boo. Do you have an idea of what area you wish to visit? Or just anyplace you can harvest one?

I'm not partial but was looking at both Brooks Range or Forty Mile heard.

Best go prepared for big bears. They should be a priority in planning your camp, meat storage, food storage, etc. If you hunt some distance away from rivers (salmon runs) that time of year you'll see less bears but they can still be moving through. Good Luck!

Since your exerienced companion has no Alaska experience, I'd say go with a guide if you can afford it. I have been up there a time or two, just not hunting, and it is rugged! A very different thing than local hunting and you'll likely be far away from any help.

If dropped off, make sure you have a radio that reaches back to the pilot/whatever. In any case, bring an EPIRB or GPS emergency beacon. Rent a sat phone too!!! Don't rely on the guide, if any, to have a working unit of beacon or phone.

As far as I know, it does not take a heavy rifle caliber to bring down 'bou. 270, 7mm-08, 308, and of course 30-06 are all good. Do bring a bear gun JIC.

Bowhunted extensively in Quebec before the herds there crashed in number. Thinking now of hitting the Brooks Range herd. I learned by bowhunting in Quebec that the Caribou there typically moved with the wind. That's contrary to most game, reason being is that their primary predator was wolves. They approached herds from behind so the Caribou could smell them as they moved with the wind. Made for great ambush type set ups as they didn't smell you in wait ahead of them. Any other big game I've hunted, not so much. AK Caribou probably are more like hunting typical big game when it comes to scent. If you go it will be great experience. Northern lights will keep you up nights. It's like camping under the neon sign at the topless joint...

Since your exerienced companion has no Alaska experience, I'd say go with a guide if you can afford it. I have been up there a time or two, just not hunting, and it is rugged! A very different thing than local hunting and you'll likely be far away from any help.

If dropped off, make sure you have a radio that reaches back to the pilot/whatever. In any case, bring an EPIRB or GPS emergency beacon. Rent a sat phone too!!! Don't rely on the guide, if any, to have a working unit of beacon or phone.

As far as I know, it does not take a heavy rifle caliber to bring down 'bou. 270, 7mm-08, 308, and of course 30-06 are all good. Do bring a bear gun JIC.

As much I'd like to save some money by going DIY I think for the first time for both of us out in that kind of back country, what you're saying makes a lot of sense.

I would definitely not be out there without a sat. phone to communicate with the transport service or emergency services. As far as rifle goes I was thinking this would be a great excuse for me to finally get a lightweight rifle that can take most NA game, was thinking 300 win mag (I know overkill for 'bou, but I reload so figured i could download it and go with lighter projectiles).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top