JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Bulgarian AK 74 that has a slightly canted front sight. I can get POA/POI to barely match with my front sight post cranked all the way to the right. Can anyone point me in the right direction to a gunsmith or a fellow board member in Whatcom/Skagit county that can correct this issue?

I appreciate the offer. I'm a former New Yorker who still does not have a car, but if I have any reason to travel over there, I'll send you over a PM. Thank you again.

I don't know anyone over there, but if you ever come to Kingston(north Kitsap county) I could do that for you in 30 minutes.

I have/had the identical problem with mine, though I came up with a sort of a solution so I don't have to peer through a front sight screwed all the way over to one side.

I like peep sights on some weps, so I put a Mojo rear peep with adjustable windage on mine. Shoving the rear sight all the way to one side is not really noticable, allowing me to move the front sight back toward the middle. Less distracting to look through with the front sight more evenly "framed," if that makes sense. Like this ---> (_i_) instead of like this (__i).

Eganx, because my rear peep is slammed to the far left limit, I still hope to center my front sight post properly to re-gain full adjustability fore and aft. Some gun guys recommend removing, drilling and repinning the front sight, and others say they can fix it with "a few careful whacks of a heavy mallet." I lack the skills or confidence to attempt either method.

My sweetheart and I enjoy weekend road trips, ferry boats and visiting my son at Ft. Lewis, so we'd seriously consider "swinging by" to get the fix if you'd do it on a Saturday. Two questions: What's your method, and what do you charge?

Thanks in advance!

I have/had the identical problem with mine, though I came up with a sort of a solution so I don't have to peer through a front sight screwed all the way over to one side.

I like peep sights on some weps, so I put a Mojo rear peep with adjustable windage on mine. Shoving the rear sight all the way to one side is not really noticable, allowing me to move the front sight back toward the middle. Less distracting to look through with the front sight more evenly "framed," if that makes sense. Like this ---> (_i_) instead of like this (__i).

Eganx, because my rear peep is slammed to the far left limit, I still hope to center my front sight post properly to re-gain full adjustability fore and aft. Some gun guys recommend removing, drilling and repinning the front sight, and others say they can fix it with "a few careful whacks of a heavy mallet." I lack the skills or confidence to attempt either method.

My sweetheart and I enjoy weekend road trips, ferry boats and visiting my son at Ft. Lewis, so we'd seriously consider "swinging by" to get the fix if you'd do it on a Saturday. Two questions: What's your method, and what do you charge?

Thanks in advance!

So, what I do is remove the two pins holding the front sight block in place, there is still an interference press fit holding the front sight block in place. I install my sight block alignment rods, basically long rods used to alight the sights. Since they are longer they will exaggerate any misalignment. Then I knock the front sight block with a mallet and an aluminum or brass punch. Once it is aligned I run a .125" reamer through the pin holes, the original size is .1183. By going over size a few thousandths you insure your maintaining the new alignment. I use hardened dowel pins for the oversized pins.

As for a fee......I'm open to offers, I'd say $25 or some equal amount of 9mm, 223/556, 7.62x39, 12ga, 22lr ammo. Hell, I'd take deer or elk meat too. I'm pretty open to trades....

So, what I do is remove the two pins holding the front sight block in place, there is still an interference press fit holding the front sight block in place. I install my sight block alignment rods, basically long rods used to alight the sights. Since they are longer they will exaggerate any misalignment. Then I knock the front sight block with a mallet and an aluminum or brass punch. Once it is aligned I run a .125" reamer through the pin holes, the original size is .1183. By going over size a few thousandths you insure your maintaining the new alignment. I use hardened dowel pins for the oversized pins.

As for a fee......I'm open to offers, I'd say $25 or some equal amount of 9mm, 223/556, 7.62x39, 12ga, 22lr ammo. Hell, I'd take deer or elk meat too. I'm pretty open to trades....

Thanks man! Contact info sent, let's figure out a convenient time.

Ive actually seen ears that are bent and have made the FSB look canted. Best to tear it down and stick it on a flat surface and check to see that it is square, with the rcvr.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top