Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AK Butt stock removal help...

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by weekendclimber, Jun 12, 2010.

1. weekendclimber

weekendclimber Overlooking Elliot Bay Member

So, first post here. :thumbup: I've been reading for a while and just registered a few weeks ago.

Got my first AK, it's an IO AK47C, and it's pretty nice. I'm working on changing out the wood furniture for an ATI Strikeforce kit and the only thing I have left to put on it is the folding/collapsible stock. For the life of me I cannot get the damn wood butt stock off of the thing even after tying the stock down and trying with my full weight to get it to budge. I've trying wacking it with a rubber mallet and nothing. I've seen suggestions of prying back on it threw the large hole in the trunion, but after slicing my hand when I broke a screwdriver in there I've realized that's not going to work. I'm wondering if there's is a place I can take it locally around Seattle/Tacoma where they can remove it for me, or if there is another method that I'm missing here. Cheers

2. Tactical SS

Tactical SS Washington Member

How many screws did you remove?

3. weekendclimber

I removed the screw that is exposed without taking down the gun, and then the one underneath the recoil spring assembly. I'm pretty sure I've got all screws removed as this was an AK with a pistol grip and not the butt stock/pistol grip like a Mak90.

4. Tactical SS

Just had to ask the the basic question first. :)

Other than that, I'm in the same boat, I tried removing mine without any luck so I just gave up for the time being.

I'm guessing it's just super tight...

5. weekendclimber

That's what I was thinking in the short run, but I'd really like that new stock on there. Thought maybe there might be a gunsmith around town that might pull it off for me if they had some special machine/tool. Cheers

6. Tactical SS

No promises, but The Marskman might be able to do something. I have no personal experience with their gunsmith though.

11003 Canyon Road E.
    Puyallup, WA 98373

http://www.themarksman.net/

7. weekendclimber

Oh and I guess one last question: Where's a good place to buy cheap 7.62x39 ammo?

8. willamette valleyfirearms

willamette valleyfirearms hillsboro oregon Member

pull the dust cover , recoil spring, bolt,gas piston and take a drift or long punch or something that has a large flat surface and a hammer and force it backwards if the punch does not have enough surface area it will just dig into the wood also wiggle the stock back in forth as you do this. the stock will come out. and as for ammo give me a call 503-846-1383 1120 rnds 125 grain 249.00 www.willamettevalleyfirearms.com

9. Tactical SS

10. weekendclimber

I've tried hammering the thing backwards. Like you said though, the tool I was using just dug into the end of the stock. I'm starting to think that the thing was put into the receiver while wet with lacquer. It's really in there man. Thanks for the tips on ammo, those are some good prices. Cheers

11. weekendclimber

You know, one thought I had is to just drill the thing out. I probably won't use that butt stock again, but I'm a bit loathe to do that.

12. willamette valleyfirearms

willamette valleyfirearms hillsboro oregon Member

ya it has to have a big flat surface to hammer it out i use a 4lb hammer with a square punch , but i am not to proud to say i have also flipped around a screw driver and used the handle as the driver to get them out in the past ,it helps to have someone hold it so you can get a good hit on it when they are this stuck, i hate to hear that it is going to be drilled out but i understand, poor wood stock, good luck !!! willamette valley firearms

13. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

Last Friday cabela's in Lacy had Tula white box at $3.99/box of 20 or $199.99/1000 rounds. Just an option.

I had wood stock once that did that. I didn't want it anymore so I hacked, drilled and chipped it but it finally came out.

Good luck.

SF-

14. weekendclimber

Oh, well. Hacked it off and now it looks real nice. Thanks for the input. Cheers