JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
NO. you can legally make a firearm but you can NEVER sell it you can pass it down to a family member and THEY can't sell it. If you want to sell it you must get a manufactures license and put a recorded (with the A.T.F.)serial # on it then and only then is it legal to sell a gun you built. If you really wish i can look up the reg # or you can go to the atf website and look it up.

OK, found this:
(A6) Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle? [Back]

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machine gun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o) and (r), 26 U.S.C. 5822, 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

I will check to see if the "provided it is not for sale" means "for sale at time of construction", or not for sale ever.

I wonder what the "exceptions" are.

I'l

You need to engrave your name, city, and state on it first.
Buyer must do a background check and you will maintain the record of who it was sold to.

If you make a habit of doing it, you may get in big trouble.

Firearms manufacturing is taken very seriously by ATF.

The ATF Agents must have been mistaken then. It's OK according to the Portland field office.

I couldn't find it in my Reference guide. Do you know the page number it is on?

I can't find it in the reference guide or on line, either. I have often seen the above information reported from contact with the ATF.

What makes the difference is the intent for making it. You can not build it for sale. You can build it for yourself, then sometime later you may decide to sell it. Then it needs to be marked as mentioned above.

Bruce

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads