JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Its my understanding AK build parties use to be a pretty popular thing back in the early 2000's. I was just a kid then but would be really interested in trying to get a party together or joining one. I have zero experience building AK's (outside of filing parts to fit and threading barrels) but would love to learn. I have mot issues pitching in my part and coordinating as needed. If more veteran builders wouldn't mind sharing their knowledge that would be great.

It would take a very patient builder or two who was willing to teach. Not to be a downer but I doubt we would find one.

I have a few kits and I usually send them off to a builder and won't see them for 3 to 9 months.

It would take a very patient builder or two who was willing to teach. Not to be a downer but I doubt we would find one.

I have a few kits and I usually send them off to a builder and won't see them for 3 to 9 months.

If you have the right hand tools they are not difficult though getting perfectly round rivets and other aesthetics is more difficult without experience or . But then again its an AK and you dont tend to build them to make them look pretty.

To me, the bigger issue is security and paranoia, needing to vet the attendees.
Of course, gotta be careful this day and age. I would be willing to do this. Along with no some basic rules. IE: No pictures, keeping people anonymous (use profile names) exc.

What does a good number sound like? I was thinking 5-20 people sounds good depending on number of rifles people wish to build

it's totally legal to build an AK. Serialized receiver.. legally purchased parts kit. What kind of kit do you have jav? I have a few Romy"s. Nothing cool.

it's totally legal to build an AK. Serialized receiver.. legally purchased parts kit. What kind of kit do you have jav? I have a few Romy"s. Nothing cool.

Yes it is perfectly legal with a registered receiver. I am building one for a guy right now and we transfered the receiver a week ago. Any job is easy if you have the correct tools for that job. As stated above by Bolus. You can put one together with minimal tools. But it is easier to eff things up as well. There are 2 kinds of 80% receivers you can use. First one is building one from a flat. All the holes are pre-drill. You bend the flat. Spot weld the rails in. Then heat treat. Or you can get an 80% that is pre-bent. Then you have to drill all the holes. Spot weld the rails and heat treat. There is tooling for every step. I have been building my AK's since 03 when I paid $130.00 for a Rommy "G" kit. I watched all the vids I could. Read as much as I could and still ended up learning by trail and error. Believe me I had plenty of errors. But the first one I built, Fires with no issues and I made it into a folding stock rather than a fixed stock. I'ts a 30cal gun and makes a perfect brush gun for hunting deer. That rifle has even taken 1 deer. I still have it today.
As for a build party there are some Federal legalities involved. First of all, nobody can make the receiver for you. You can be coach and shown what to do. But the person owning the kit and the 80% receiver. MUST do his or her's work on their own. I can not do it for you. With that said, I have ALL the tooling to do anything you want on an AK. Including everything to press on the barrel pieces like sights etc. I have a press, spot welder, drill press and a turd load of tooling from AKbuilder.com. I would not be oppose to a few guys stopping by but I can't have like 10 guys at once. Maybe groups of 5 or 6 would be great. Remember, you have to do your own work.
Now for kits.........My tooling will work with both 47 and 74's. The caliber is your choice. When looking for a kit. Try and find one with the original barrel. They are the easiest to build because your head space is already set. You just return the barrel to it's original position and your good to go. If you can not find one with an og barrel. You will have to find a US made barrel. They are out there but I personally have never had to buy one. So you will have to track one down. Then you will have to demill the kit. Punch all the rivets out and strip everything down to it's bare minimum. But leave the mag catch in the trigger guard. If you find a kit with the og barrel. The barrel will have to be removed from the trunion before you can get the trunion rivets out.
You guys would have to travel up here. I live just east of JBLM in Spanaway and a weekend would be best. November/December would work out just fine. You can meet my dogs in my avitar.....lol. Send me a pm if you have questions.

I am building a Bulgarian 74 fixed stock with the receiver I mentioned for a guy. For myself, I have a folding Polish Tantal and an Iragi Tabuk. Tabuk's have a 20" barrel which I have. Just have to find the time to build my toys......lol

Or you can get an 80% that is pre-bent. Then you have to drill all the holes. Spot weld the rails and heat treat.

You can get many 80% receivers with rails welded, trunion holes marked, center support, etc. The childer's ones are even get black oxide so as long as you are careful you dont need to do rust prevention / surface finishing when you are done

It is down to hand tools to finish one now. No press, no welding. If you get a pre-populated barrel you dont even need to headspace the chamber other than checking with some go no-go gauges when done.

Childer's 80% with rails already welded.
AK-AKM-Blank-Spot-Welded-Rails-Childers-Guns-Top-1-800x800.jpg

I was planning on sending one of my non matching Romy kits off to a builder I know. I'm building a mutt. Romy kit from AOA, Morrissey side folding receiver, polish 90 degree gas block. Sabrewerks KOP sight system. Pin and weld to 16 inches. I haven't worked it all out yet. Still buying parts slowly. I was hoping to have it done by spring 2021.

You can get many 80% receivers with rails welded, trunion holes marked, center support, etc. The childer's ones are even get black oxide so as long as you are careful you dont need to do rust prevention / surface finishing when you are done

It is down to hand tools to finish one now. No press, no welding. If you get a pre-populated barrel you dont even need to headspace the chamber other than checking with some go no-go gauges when done.

Childer's 80% with rails already welded.
View attachment 719847

Yes you are correct. I forgot about those....Thanx.

Couple of Romanians. One is matching, one is not. Both need barrels populated. I'd like to make one into a "kyber pass" pistol with a folding 74 type stock(I have the trunnion, gas block and pistol parts for it)

A pistol with a stock is a SBR. A pistol with an arm brace is still a pistol. For now. The ATF is currently reviewing their policy on arm braces and may outlaw them in the future. Not exactly know what a Kyper Pass pistol is. But I have built myself 3 pistols with 7" barrels. Pistols are easy but you have to get a pistol rear trunion.

Yes it is perfectly legal with a registered receiver. I am building one for a guy right now and we transfered the receiver a week ago. Any job is easy if you have the correct tools for that job. As stated above by Bolus. You can put one together with minimal tools. But it is easier to eff things up as well. There are 2 kinds of 80% receivers you can use. First one is building one from a flat. All the holes are pre-drill. You bend the flat. Spot weld the rails in. Then heat treat. Or you can get an 80% that is pre-bent. Then you have to drill all the holes. Spot weld the rails and heat treat. There is tooling for every step. I have been building my AK's since 03 when I paid $130.00 for a Rommy "G" kit. I watched all the vids I could. Read as much as I could and still ended up learning by trail and error. Believe me I had plenty of errors. But the first one I built, Fires with no issues and I made it into a folding stock rather than a fixed stock. I'ts a 30cal gun and makes a perfect brush gun for hunting deer. That rifle has even taken 1 deer. I still have it today.
As for a build party there are some Federal legalities involved. First of all, nobody can make the receiver for you. You can be coach and shown what to do. But the person owning the kit and the 80% receiver. MUST do his or her's work on their own. I can not do it for you. With that said, I have ALL the tooling to do anything you want on an AK. Including everything to press on the barrel pieces like sights etc. I have a press, spot welder, drill press and a turd load of tooling from AKbuilder.com. I would not be oppose to a few guys stopping by but I can't have like 10 guys at once. Maybe groups of 5 or 6 would be great. Remember, you have to do your own work.
Now for kits.........My tooling will work with both 47 and 74's. The caliber is your choice. When looking for a kit. Try and find one with the original barrel. They are the easiest to build because your head space is already set. You just return the barrel to it's original position and your good to go. If you can not find one with an og barrel. You will have to find a US made barrel. They are out there but I personally have never had to buy one. So you will have to track one down. Then you will have to demill the kit. Punch all the rivets out and strip everything down to it's bare minimum. But leave the mag catch in the trigger guard. If you find a kit with the og barrel. The barrel will have to be removed from the trunion before you can get the trunion rivets out.
You guys would have to travel up here. I live just east of JBLM in Spanaway and a weekend would be best. November/December would work out just fine. You can meet my dogs in my avitar.....lol. Send me a pm if you have questions.

That sounds awesome. I've watched a bunch of the video and read what to do but I definitely lack the tools and experience. I intend to build them off of 100% morssey receivers. Both kits need to have the barrel populated and headspace so I need to pick up a "go" and "no go gauge" unless you have one. I can bring my tools to cut threads for the barrel as well. I will reach out to you after work (writing this really quick on break)

A pistol with a stock is a SBR. A pistol with an arm brace is still a pistol. For now. The ATF is currently reviewing their policy on arm braces and may outlaw them in the future. Not exactly know what a Kyper Pass pistol is. But I have built myself 3 pistols with 7" barrels. Pistols are easy but you have to get a pistol rear trunion.
Basically think "AK 104". 12.5in AK pistol with gas block, front sight. 24mm threads combo and a brace using JMAC custom adaptor

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews