JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The way I see it.
AK 47...... Made in Russia
AK 74...... Made in Russia
Mosin Nagant...... Made in Russia
*SKS......Made in Russia

Made for and designed with steel cased ammo in mind. Also, proven reliable over the years. BTW, I'm mostly using surplus ammo (YES, I'm cheap). I don't care if it's corrosive. I'll just clean after every use.

*Sold it off a long time ago.

AK_s_for_everyone.png

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Steel case yes, steel jacketed projectiles? no

I hear what your saying, a bit of controversy on such. Never bothered with buying into said controversy for our guns though.

I use whatever works, in whatever platform, at whatever reasonable price point. AK's were designed to run using steel "brass", and run bimetallic jacketed projectiles just as well. IMO.

Some of the most accurate manufactured rounds have bimetallic projectiles. Thinking on Swiss GP11, in particular (7.5 Swiss). However also Hertenberger 7.62x51 ball (simply fantastic for manufactured ball).

Anywho, my point being that it would be a long ways to get to wearing out a barrels rifling JUST from bimetallic projectiles. So something I simply don't concern myself with. And we shoot "A BUNCH".

No problem with folks whom opt not to run bimetallic projectiles in there guns. Because they're theirs to do as they wish.

Take a look at the 5.45x39mm cartridge and tell me if you find any brass cased ones. At all.

Believe it or not, Hornady is now selling reloadable brass cases in that caliber. 5.45x39 Unprimed Rifle Brass 50 Count

Now if only someone would start making reloadable 7.62x45mm Czech brass...

As to old, steel cased AK ammo, I've shot rusty Soviet 7.62x39 ammo from the '50, with rust spots on the cases and bullets. They shot fine. Of course I cleaned off the rust and made sure there was none on bullet bearing surfaces. I pulled a few apart and they were shiny clean inside. They sealed them well! The original Soviet ammo was made with copper plated steel bullet jackets. It seems to work pretty well.

Steel, AK is designed for steel. Aside from 5.56, countries that use the AK still use lacquer coated steel cased ammo.

I do NOT buy foreign "soft point" ammo. I bought some (forget whether it was S&B or Herter's) at Cabela's, got home and found out that a magnet was attracted to the projectile itself. Not sure if it is steel core or steel jacket - either way, it is probably no better than FMJ and probably worse.
Mild steel jacket, they still expand.

Yugoslavians had brass.
Yup...I has lots of it :)
A lot of people dont realize the Russians made brass cased too.

I believe it is all berdan primed tho, so not much use to the normal reloader.

Sure, for the brass over steel thing, yah. There's that.

No problem in regards to it being corrosive, just be mindful of washing down is all when your done. For folks who've never run corrosive.

I believe it is all berdan primed tho, so not much use to the normal reloader.

Sure, for the brass over steel thing, yah. There's that.

No problem in regards to it being corrosive, just be mindful of washing down is all when your done. For folks who've never run corrosive.
You can still reload it.

I scored a bunch of Czech Brass cased ammo way back in the early 90's and rat hole'd it with my 2 SKS's which shoot it very well! Never ran any of the steel cased stuff, so no opinion of any of that! If it works, and it lasts, and it's accurate, Why not!:s0155:

Even with an AK, I won't shoot that kind of ammo in any firearm - I don't like the steel jacket, whether it is copper coated or not. I think it might wear the rifling.
I think shooting anything at all; lead cast, copper jacketed lead or solid copper alloy safety slug..... even cleaning the barrel - may wear the rifling ;)