AK ammo

The AK will usually shoot anything. Most people buy steel cased because it's cheaper in bulk compared to brass. Brass AK ammo will get quite spendy. Personally, I like it because when I'm done it's easy to pick up all the shells with a big Harbor Freight magnet.
Edit: Here's a good source. Free shipping on orders over $99.

Last edited:

The Heretic

Reactions
Bulk ammo - usually steel FMJ - for practice

Hornady or Winchester or Federal expanding ammo for self-defense. In a self-defense situation, the much greater effectiveness of the expanding ammo is worth the cost. For hunting it is mandatory.

Mikej

Reactions
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2015
  • Woke Up Like This
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2017
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2019
The AK will usually shoot anything. Most people buy steel cased because it's cheaper in bulk compared to brass. Bras AK ammo will get quite spendy. Personally, I like it because when I'm done it's easy to pick up all the shells with a big Harbor Freight magnet.
Edit: Here's a good source. Free shipping on orders over $99.

Well, that price sorta SHOT up didn't it!

Steel in mine. Though I have toyed with gathering boxer primed brass and a set of dies to be able to load my own down the line. If you don't load your own ammo then it's a no-brainer. Steel.

Here's this too, for a hair less, if you don't mind a little, rust, maybe?

The Heretic

Reactions
I do NOT buy foreign "soft point" ammo. I bought some (forget whether it was S&B or Herter's) at Cabela's, got home and found out that a magnet was attracted to the projectile itself. Not sure if it is steel core or steel jacket - either way, it is probably no better than FMJ and probably worse.

Pops1911

Reactions
Been running steel cased ammo from day one in the AK. Never an issue with function or rust. AK gets fed Tula and it eats it like I eat potato chips. [sorry could not think of anything more original without insulting someone]. The Mini30 is a different proposition. Mostly shoot USA made brass cased stuff as the Tula mostly needs two strikes each to fire with this platform. I have found that Silver Bear seems to work just fine in my Mini30. Find a round that works for you and your rifles. That's half the fun ... oh yeah, forgot, that might be a little more difficult these days. ;)

Reactions
Echoing what everyone else has said. My AKM will greedily eat anything you feed it and run all day long, corrosive, steel cased, cheap and dirty, doesn't matter.

I use a combination of Tula, Red Army Standard, and Wolf, all of it steel cased. As Cigars mentioned, you can use the Harbor Freight tool to make quick work of cleanup. Trash no land!

Reactions
Someone shared good advice about finding one that works in your particular gun. You can buy a single box of various types of silver bear,Tula,wolf etc in different weights/bullet types for minimal cost/risk before you find one you like to buy in bulk. Great thing is, it's really good for cheap practice ammo or to have stockpiled if ever shtf and you can't get your preferred ammo atleast you'll have something you know will work. An empty or undependable gun isn't much good in a survival situation LOL

Tony617

Reactions
What do most people shoot? Steel or Brass? Trying to figure out if it's an issue to shoot lots and lots of steel cased ammo.
I buy Wolf steel cased ammo the the non magnetic tip for the indoor gun range. The other is Golden Tiger with a steel cased. GT has a bimetal bullet so it not allowed to be shot in the indoor ranges so I use outside. Also some indoor gun ranges require brass cased only.

34BD765A-98B1-4822-BB56-B8A4E767EFEF.jpeg 00B773A9-8C70-4D94-B530-C16347422BA0.jpeg

titsonritz

Reactions
Dirty dog “wolf.”
I buy Wolf steel cased ammo the the non magnetic tip for the indoor gun range. The other is Golden Tiger with a steel cased. GT has a bimetal bullet so it not allowed to be shot in the indoor ranges so I use outside. Also some indoor gun ranges require brass cased only.

View attachment 680051 View attachment 680052
Russian Zoo.

Wolf, Golden Tiger, Brown Bear (not sure what kind of critter a Tula is) all fine for blasting.

I keep a few sealed cases of Yugoslavia M67 on hand as it stores very well by design.

Reactions
I do NOT buy foreign "soft point" ammo. I bought some (forget whether it was S&B or Herter's) at Cabela's, got home and found out that a magnet was attracted to the projectile itself. Not sure if it is steel core or steel jacket - either way, it is probably no better than FMJ and probably worse.
The S&B I bought at Cabelas turned out to be a mere bimetal jacket. All that extra cost and its essentially just a brass cased version of wolf. No primer/projectile sealant, just a brass case was justifying the extra cost. Checked the box NO mention of a bimetal projectile.
Shoots about the same as well. So powder wise.. I also dont see any advantage.
Noted though: it was shot from an AK And not a different rifle type also chambered in 7.62x39.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Hellcat OSP
    I almost put "Limited "Covid induced" inventory" as a Con, but thought that wouldn't really be fair to them! The aftermath of Covid has depleted...
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done a lot of deals here
    Gary's easy to work with when in town.
    • matts
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Business!
    I have been going to Vancouver Weapon Werx for years and know both owners quite well. The only downfall is I go there to purchase or have a gun...
  • SafeFire Indoor Shooting Range & Retail
    5.00 star(s)
    A great, safe place to go shooting
    Love this place!! Great staff, the range masters are friendly, helpful and alert. This is a safe place to shoot. The store is kind of low on stock...
    • GWS
  • Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    First time....
    First time working with a gunsmith but I found Copeland Gunworks to be an awesome husband wife team that worked really fast and things were...
Top Bottom