Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ak 922 question

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Phillyfan, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Does a US made magazine count as 3 922 compliant parts? If so, why would anyone go through the hassle of replacing the trigger group?

2. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

Because they might not have enough other parts in their build to make the cut. Also they might have foreign made mags, and don't want to have to remember which mag goes into which firearm.

3. Phillyfan

So a US made mag does count as 3?

4. SOrez

SOrez SOR Active Member

Yes a US made magazine counts as 3 parts. The reason is because if you happen to put a non US magazine in it,it would be non compliant. Most people would rather spend the $30 or so for the fcg and not have to worry about it.

5. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

6. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

this is the best answer. also certain imported mags are generally better mags than most of the US made ones at least thats what the purest claim .

also some of the US made FCGs tend to be better.

7. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

When you import an AK clone it has to be in a "sporting" configuration with a stock that looks like the classic rifle or shotgun stock. This moves the center of balance forward (moves your strong hand backward, actually) and makes the gun a handle little awkwardly. If you want to convert it to its proper pistol grip configuration, you will need to move the trigger group forward, since it's right where the pistol grip goes. The old parts won't fit, so you may as well replace them with American made parts which will also often improve the feel of the trigger a lot. I have a Tapco G2 trigger in my Saiga and I'm very happy with it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  8. Phillyfan

Well, I guess I won't cancel my order for the trigger group. It makes sense that you wouldn't want to risk being out of 922 compliance for simply using the wrong mag. Thanks for the info guys.