JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would like one as well since the ammo is cheap, But Ive read some good things on the bullet its self and would like to know which way ppl have gone in the terms of the Polish Tantal, Bulgarian and or new Saiga line??? Let me know ppl and what you think!!!!!??

I have a Tantal and love it. The side mount install is tricky to do, but not too bad. I've heard the round defeats the SS109 for penetration in tests. Plus, I have a lifetime supply of ammo stashed here and there for it. Buy the ammo first because it's going fast with the cheap Saigas coming out here now.

Don't have one but have been looking for several months. I got a little ammo but have not jumped into a firearm since the prices for everything have been so high and I also don't known which country to go with.
I've noticed the kits for the Bulgarian ak74 w/ US made chrome lined barrel have started to appear and have seen prices in the $320-$350 range.

I think it would be fun to build one :)

This is far from my first conversion, but the parts he has for Saiga conversions only covers the S12. Not the rifles.....not that you really need anything different than a normal AK74...other than a modified hammer if you plan on using the bolt hold open.

He actually doesn't have much of anything necessary to do the build. He has a trigger guard and assembly, and a small selection of furniture, but there is no new gas block, no front sight, no muzzle break, no bullet guide, etc.

I'm planning on doing a Saiga 5.45 conversion soon, if anyone has any requests.

I was thinking of doing a conversion as well. I'm still in the process of building my Saiga 7.62x39, just need to buy the new trigger and furniture. Its all torn down and ready to be put back together.

Also Lancaster Arms has Bulgarian AK 74s for $659 that I was also looking at. That is where I got my Saiga 7.62x39 during the crazy gun rush, while I was in Iraq and got to talk to Chet personally on the phone. Which is damn awesome.:s0155:

Last Edited:
I have been thinking about doing a 5.45 upper on my AR for the main reason of ammo being so cheap. 1080 rounds at the gun show last weekend was going for $180.00. Alot cheaper than 7.62 or 223.

I have been thinking about doing a 5.45 upper on my AR for the main reason of ammo being so cheap. 1080 rounds at the gun show last weekend was going for $180.00. Alot cheaper than 7.62 or 223.

Out of curiosity, Was there any 5.45x39 at the gun show that did not have the corrosive primer?

I'm finding 7.62 for an OK price. I mean 1000 rounds for $250 (shrug). The AK-74 should be a fine weapon. I am always concerned about the 5.45 ammo. I think you have to be careful when you purchase it, because it is primarily designed to be armor piercing. It has a steel insert behind a Hollow point in the nose that I believe can push through level 3a body armor. I've asked some cops what they think and they say as long as the box doesn't read armor piercing it should be fine. But, considering that is how it was designed, it makes me wonder what the ATF thinks about it. I've never looked into it that far however.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top