Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AK 74s?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by easysteve, Aug 28, 2009.

1. easysteve

easysteve Salem, Oregon Member

Whos got em and How do you like them?

2. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Polk County, Oregon Active Member

Don't have one, but would like one, only for the current price of ammo, x39 is expensive these days

3. easysteve

I would like one as well since the ammo is cheap, But Ive read some good things on the bullet its self and would like to know which way ppl have gone in the terms of the Polish Tantal, Bulgarian and or new Saiga line??? Let me know ppl and what you think!!!!!??

4. A2theK

A2theK Olympia Member

I have a Tantal and love it. The side mount install is tricky to do, but not too bad. I've heard the round defeats the SS109 for penetration in tests. Plus, I have a lifetime supply of ammo stashed here and there for it. Buy the ammo first because it's going fast with the cheap Saigas coming out here now.

5. easysteve

Yeah I hear you on the ammo.

6. krazed

krazed Yamhill Member

Don't have one but have been looking for several months. I got a little ammo but have not jumped into a firearm since the prices for everything have been so high and I also don't known which country to go with.
    I've noticed the kits for the Bulgarian ak74 w/ US made chrome lined barrel have started to appear and have seen prices in the $320-$350 range.

I think it would be fun to build one :)

7. NorthernBornRebel

NorthernBornRebel Keizer Member

I'm planning on doing a Saiga 5.45 conversion soon, if anyone has any requests.

8. Contract_Pilot

Contract_Pilot Vancouver, Washington Active Member

The Conversion is really simple to do.

I recommend that you use a tig welder to fill the 4 rear holes.

All the parts can be found here. curtis makes them and they are the best quality on the market.

9. NorthernBornRebel

This is far from my first conversion, but the parts he has for Saiga conversions only covers the S12. Not the rifles.....not that you really need anything different than a normal AK74...other than a modified hammer if you plan on using the bolt hold open.

10. Contract_Pilot

Contract_Pilot Vancouver, Washington Active Member

He has the rifle parts listed as well..

11. NorthernBornRebel

He actually doesn't have much of anything necessary to do the build. He has a trigger guard and assembly, and a small selection of furniture, but there is no new gas block, no front sight, no muzzle break, no bullet guide, etc.

12. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

I have seen a few of NBRs conversions and they are top-notch.

I have seen Contract_Pilots' builds and they are awesome as well.

You two should go into business together......really.........

13. easysteve

I was thinking of doing a conversion as well. I'm still in the process of building my Saiga 7.62x39, just need to buy the new trigger and furniture. Its all torn down and ready to be put back together.

Also Lancaster Arms has Bulgarian AK 74s for $659 that I was also looking at. That is where I got my Saiga 7.62x39 during the crazy gun rush, while I was in Iraq and got to talk to Chet personally on the phone. Which is damn awesome.:thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  14. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about doing a 5.45 upper on my AR for the main reason of ammo being so cheap. 1080 rounds at the gun show last weekend was going for $180.00. Alot cheaper than 7.62 or 223.

15. krazed

krazed Yamhill Member

Out of curiosity, Was there any 5.45x39 at the gun show that did not have the corrosive primer?

16. NorthernBornRebel

I prefer shooting corrosive ammo......gives me an excuse to shower with my guns.:D

17. nitetime

nitetime Springtucky Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

18. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

I really was not paying close attention to the 5.45x39 selection as I was looking at 7.62x39. I glanced over and saw the 5.45 for $180.00 for 1080 rounds.

19. Flakman5000

Flakman5000 Oregon New Member

I'm finding 7.62 for an OK price. I mean 1000 rounds for $250 (shrug). The AK-74 should be a fine weapon. I am always concerned about the 5.45 ammo. I think you have to be careful when you purchase it, because it is primarily designed to be armor piercing. It has a steel insert behind a Hollow point in the nose that I believe can push through level 3a body armor. I've asked some cops what they think and they say as long as the box doesn't read armor piercing it should be fine. But, considering that is how it was designed, it makes me wonder what the ATF thinks about it. I've never looked into it that far however.

20. Flakman5000

Flakman5000 Oregon New Member

I would kinda like to know if someone out there has more info on the 5.45 round.