JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ok, i want to build an ak 74 and i dont know where to start!

where do i find kits and parts for them, and a good walkthrough website?

anyone know how to do one of these, help me out please,

I have built a few. You will need to find a parts kit first. Make sure all the numbers match and buy one with the original barrel. If you buy a kit that all the numbers match and with the original barrel it will be headspaced at the factory and all parts will work with no tweeking. You can go to Nodak Spud and purchace a reciever or get a flat and bend your own.

Don't forget to mention that an AK requires some specialized tooling to set the rivets. At a minium, a modified bolt cutter, a big f'ing hammer and strong vise. More typically, a hydraulic press is involved, as well as dedicated rivet press tools.

Definitely spend the extra on a Bulgarian kit with original barrel, a Nodak Spud AK-74 receiver, and Bulgarian rivets from K-var.

Here's a Bulgarian -74 I built with plum furniture:

View attachment 195066.

Here's one I built as an Afghan War era 1984 Russian -74N clone:

ak-74n_left_and_right_profile.jpg

There's plenty of folks who build AK's with miminum tooling. I'm not one of them. :s0131:

To acquire a kit, you'll have to find one on the AKForum For Sale section, or find one on Gunbroker. Expect to pay $400-$450 for a matcing Bulgarian kit with original barrel. RGuns did have some Russian kits, but they're expensive and not something you want to practice on.

-Thirtycal

For me, it was mo0ndoggy's videos on youtube that gave me the confidence to take on a build myself:

YouTube - BuildyourownAK's Channel

For anyone considering an AK build, this is the quickest way to either talk yourself out of it, or decide "yeah, I can do that".

There's a ton of folks who get good results without alot of tools - basically pounding it together on a kitchen table. It can be done; with varying results. THe right tools make the job not only easier, but also makes the results much more consistent. With the right tools, I can squash a perfect rivet every time. With the wrong tools, I can still squash a perfect rivet, along with a few really bad ones.

-Thirtycal

Hey Pogi! Nice! It's a plum party. Don't ya miss that one? For anyone wanting to build, note that Pogi's example is a sidefolder. More difficult due to the rear rivets - a bolt cutter tool won't be able to squash those.

-THirtycal

I miss it but have another side folder kit with a matching bayo so I had to make some room. :D

I'm definitely addicted to the plum and it is a great fit on a 74.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top