JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Check out the encyclopediac AK/SKS messageboard, WW.TheAKForum.com There is an unbelievable wealth of knowledge and discussion there, broken down by nationality, with tutorials and photos of all kinds, all free. You can even search the buy/sell section for actual sold prices of various models.

Immediate random thought about the Yugos: I think that they do not have chrome-lined barrels. I know that the Yugo SKS does not. Shooting surplus corrosive ammo would require immediate cleaning treatment....................elsullo

I'm still pretty new to the in depth knowledge of AK's as well. As far as I understand Romanian WASRs are pretty much a "base model" but still a reliable rifle as long as the sights aren't messed up and something with the gas chamber? Bulgarians seem to be a very good substitute. The best rated from what I've read is a Saiga 7.62 converted. It's a real Russian built AK.

Looking at a pre-ban Yugo ak-47. Are they the best brand/make AK? I am uninformed about AK's and new to them but starting to look. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Preban rifles like the Yugoslavian M77 (imported by Mitchell Arms) and the Polytech/Norinco (Chinese) AKS-47 are considered some of the best AK clones available. You can't go wrong with a Yugo. What one are you specifically looking at?

Keith

It is a 1992 yugo w/underfold stock. That is about all I know. I can ask and find out. I will see if I can get a model and serial number if that will help.

Preban rifles like the Yugoslavian M77 (imported by Mitchell Arms) and the Polytech/Norinco (Chinese) AKS-47 are considered some of the best AK clones available. You can't go wrong with a Yugo. What one are you specifically looking at?

Keith

It is a 1992 yugo w/underfold stock. That is about all I know. I can ask and find out. I will see if I can get a model and serial number if that will help.

This rifle is most definitely a ban-era weapon, as it was imported after Bush 41's 1989 semi-automatic assault weapons ban, which is still very much in effect. It is using a 1992 trunnion, but is most likely recently made, probably with a US made receiver. It is a mix of foreign and US parts. Still a good quality rifle, highly respected, and will serve you well. $500 to $600 is a ballpark price, I'd wager.

Keith

So what is a "fair" price? It does have the grenade sights and also flip up night sights.

^^^THIS^^^
Yugos are awesome. They are heavier then your typical AKM clone because they are built on the thicker RPK like receiver, have a couple other unique features and can easily be identified from most other AK rifles by the grenade-launching sight on the gas block . I would jump on it if the price is reasonable.

Okay, first of all, thank you to all of you who have added your input! Now I have some more info that I hope you guys can help me narrow down a fair price and if this gun is worth buying? First off is the serial # I am gonna put the first three(I was told this is the year) and if you send me a PM I can furnish the whole thing if you are able to help more with the whole thing.
Serial starts with 920## for a total of 5 numbers. Model is M70AB2 imported by DC industries and says "ZASTAVA YUGOSLAVIA".

Hope this helps and that you guys can give me some more insight.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Hi Dan,

Yup, this is a fairly recent build, made up from a Yugoslavian parts kit by a US company most likely using a US-made trigger group, pistol grip, receiver and muzzle brake. I say most likely but there could be substitutions (a piston for a pistol grip for instance). Regardless, this rifle is identical to every other Yugo UF floating around out there in the US...a mix of foreign and US parts, necessitated by US law. The model is generally highly regarded and you'd do well to own one. Check out the usual things before purchase though. $500 to $600 is a fair price, you might find it less from someone who is desperate to sell, and you would still be OK to pay a tad more if you absolutely had to have it.

Keith

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads