JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You still need two more US part and the retainer plate doesn't count. If you thread the muzzle you would need 3 more, furniture being the best option.
View attachment 259383

MAKs are nice rifles but the down side is they have a slant cut receiver which severely limits your stock options (Iron Designs is probably the best option)

The thumbhole stock counts as two parts; it's US made. And two of mine (MAK-90 & NHM-91) have straight-cut receivers; only the milled ones are inevitably slant-cut.

Prices for the Zastavas (PAPs) are inline with the WASR, O-PAP $610 vs. WASR 10 $570. Arsenals start around $1000 and go up from there. Veprs are more inline with Arsenal quality, IMO. Not sure on the x39 price and availability though.

For the price of an Arsenal I can get a VEPR in 308 or x54R. Guess which way I would go. Hint, hint - see post #23, the VEPR is on layaway. I have nothing against Arsenals. I just prefer to buy something else when I'm looking at rifles in the $900 -$1000 range.

I'm not knocking the Zastavas either. I have an M77 (308) and the pistol (or 2). I may buy an O-PAP at some point. But for the OP, a guy buying his first AK the WASR has some positives. Chrome lined barrel, factory receiver and standard AKM specs, meaning standard AKM furniture will fit it.

The PAPs on the other hand use Yugo, Serbian style furniture. Other than that I think the WASR and PAPs are equal. I don't think anyone here would ever shoot out a Zastava semi auto barrel.

I agree with the comment on the IO guns, stay away. I'd stay away from the PSAs also, for now anyway. Let someone else prove or disprove thier quality.

I love my M77, more accurate than I expected. The M92s just put big grins on my face. My kids will have to sell those when I'm dead & gone.

Don

Teb and I are in the same boat. https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/opinions-on-petronov-ak-47-please.206522/

I'd asked about this builder https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...ifle-with-wood-stock-set-detail.html?Itemid=0 in another thread and got no response. I will get an AK 47 before all things go to he!! again. I was also looking at the PAPs but couldn't decide, though I was concerned of the higher stock and it being difficult to use the iron sights. I did like the idea of the hammer forged barrel on the PAPs. I've heard corrosive ammo is not hard to avoid now.

Good thread, thanks!

You ever shot one with that stock???
The term "cheek weld" will have a new meaning.

I built my AKM using a surplus Polish kit. 1971 if i'm not mistaken. I did have to swap a bunch of stuff to be 922R compliant and put a new US made barrel on it but it runs like a champ. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

The OPAP and NPAP are pretty good from what i've read. i've never handled one so i can't speak on it from personal experience.

And Arsenal...well, they make good Kalash rifles. I'd buy one if i was in the market for another but they do cost more than most of the other AKMs.

Lol...ya I've shot one and I know they get a bad rap, but I am a fan of their versatility.
The recoil is fine also, the one thing I'm not a fan of is the unnatural curve that wants to dig in your shoulder when you are shouldering rifle :D

Thanks.

Yeah I haven't made up my mind on that score. I really like the idea of an extended hand guard though. I have a SAR-1 I figure to "put under the knife" first, then if I like a lot I'll consider doing it to my SLR. I'm in no big hurry right now because I'm stuck in AR mode at the moment.
*phew* I thought you were about to mangle an innocent rifle.

If I was in the market for an AK, I'd buy a DDI. Right now you can get one for $700 plus $22 shipping from aimsurplus.com (to my address in Beaverton).
Of course I'd shop around to find the best price. Also you have to consider transfer and background check.

I too would recommend you stay away from I.O. Inc and older Century builds. Personally I don't care for century but that's just me. Their new RAS and V2 AK rifles seem to be good to go but after the way they treated me, no thanks.

I personally like the 7.62 AK, and if you can, you should buy a few drum mags. I have 3 Romanian drums and they are pretty nice and you should be able to find them under $70 ea. Stay away from Korean mags and cheap US metal mags (pro mag for example). I like surplus steel, bake light, Bulgarian waffle etc.

I have a M10 Romanian and I love it and I wanna get the magpul folding stock for it.
20141005_184310.jpg

Good luck and post pics of whatever you end up getting.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top