JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The only reason Id hold off on the longer forearmed Zukov* is, they remove the hand guard retainer so it limits your forearm to JUST that magpul system. Sure, you could buy a surplus bracket and take off the front sight base and gas block then put them on again but thats besides the point haha.
Actually it wouldnt be a bad idea to just do that anyway (if the barrel has grooves cut in for a backet that is) and buy a spare bracket just in case.

Really, you cannot go wrong.
The only poor reports Ive heard were for the Pioneer arms AKs? Something about too soft of metal or poor rivets..etc.

Id buy the DDI basic stamped AK. You have far more modularity with all the new ak stuff coming out yet you can keep it simple with a basic setup.

I like the DDI UF.
Underfolders are alright. It limits your AK stock options and cheekweld to optic options..well comfortably.. It can be done, with ultimak, TWS, MWI, PA..etc companies and their optic rail options.
Dedicated Underfolders make a great second AK.

This is always an option for an under folder
IMG_20141212_205438603_HDR.jpg
A lot warmer than steel :D

Best one listed IMO. I've got the SLR-107F (no side rail). I am left-handed and like the clean receiver side. I prefer an Ultimak Rail for my optic and light attachment and since it is a left side folder I see no reason for the rail. So just keep that in mind if you want a receiver type mount. I am debating on loping off the hand guard retainer for a Zhukov fore end.

Here is a crappy photo of mine.
View attachment 259176

Underfolder are cool but not at all comfortable to shoot.
That sir, is a sexy rifle.
And dont cut anything off!! :eek:

This is always an option for an under folder
View attachment 259173
A lot warmer than steel :D

You ever shot one with that stock???
The term "cheek weld" will have a new meaning.

I built my AKM using a surplus Polish kit. 1971 if i'm not mistaken. I did have to swap a bunch of stuff to be 922R compliant and put a new US made barrel on it but it runs like a champ. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

The OPAP and NPAP are pretty good from what i've read. i've never handled one so i can't speak on it from personal experience.

And Arsenal...well, they make good Kalash rifles. I'd buy one if i was in the market for another but they do cost more than most of the other AKMs.

Last Edited:
Figured someone would mention the WASR 10. The lastest ones are getting good reviews. Good basic gun and takes standard AKM furniture.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...-wasr-10-7-62x39mm-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

I'd buy an O-PAP over a N-PAP. Also Serbian (Yugo) take differrent furniture so fewer options on upgrades. But I prefer wood anyway. Thr O-PAP has the thick (1.5mm) receiver. And there were some reports of soft metal on the recent N-PAPs.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...47-m70-pap-7-62x39-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

I have a Vepr 7.62 X 54R on layaway at Atlantic. When it's paid for I plan to buy an AK63D milled receiver.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...d/95035/CIA+RI2182X+AK63D+7.62X39+UNDERFOLDER

I don't own the WASR 10 or the O-PAP. Plan to build ny future AKMs. But both seem to get good reviews at the AKfiles forum. I do have AK pistols, a Draco (Romanian like the WASR) and a PAP M92. Both are problem free so far.

Don

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads