JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wasr-10 is a post ban AK that is imported and converted to use 30rd magazines by drilling out the mag well.

That is the basic jist of it. They are imported my CAI ( century arms ) and alot of people complain they are of sub-par quality.

I have a wasr-10 and love it. I posted it in the rifle section of the forums.

I think most of the WASR-10's are Romanian (at least what I've seen). I've owned one and the tactical at the shop I worked at would bubblegum all day about them being bad quality but I never had any issues with them and mine was a third the price of there chinese fancy do da collector AK.

The WASR are simply Romainian kits provided to the public at a fair price. They work and function very well and are available almost anywere. They use standard AK mags and the price will not kill you. When looking at the WASR line of guns give the sights a good look and pick the rifle (if they have more than one) with the straitest sights, some WASR's have sight-cant problems. This is a build quality problem not a gun problem.

If you are new to the AK rifle they are a good starter gun and will feed the addiction. After a short time you will want to get a nicer rifle. That being said if you are serious I suggest you visit theakforum.net, there is a ton of info over there and many nice rifles for sale.

Good luck.

Even WASR 10's very alot. WASR 10's started out with stamped recievers that took 10 round single stack mags to comply with the assault weapons ban. When the ban was not renewed they litterally dremeled out the mag wells to take regular high cap mags. You will find that some poly or plastic mags don't work well in all WASR's. WASR's were cranked out with quanity not quality, being their goal.

That being said...Whan I bought my first AKM it was a WASR that wasn't working and was returned to the gun shop by some guy. The gun shop owner said he'd give me a **** of a deal if I wanted to fix it myself. I explained I knew nothing about fixing AK's.He said all you needed was a hammer, a file and this book that he would throw in, and you could fix almost any problem an AK could have.

Well he wasn't far from the truth. The rifle had a new bolt put in, it with out being fitted for headspace.It took about ten minutes an a little filing and it was fixed.

I have owned many AK's from that first WASR which I still have, to unfired preban polytech legends and everything in between.

There's alot of difference in AK'S but more importantly is what they all share.
1)near 100% reliability
2)simple,easy to to figure out function
3)They need nearly no cleaning or maintinance to function,(I still clean mine.)
4)Ammo is once again abundant and fairly cheap.
5)parts are abundant,(stock or modified)
6)they are fun to shoot(a big boys 10-22)

SAR's are also cheap. But either a WASR or SAR is a great starter AKM.
Then if you like it you can move up to others. A mak 90 with a milled reciever can be had for $600 and is in my opinion the best deal in an AKM,as the are built in the same factory as the famous Polytech Legend with the same quality for less than half the price.

If you want an underfolder yugo's are a lot better than romainians for just a little more money. Polish under folder's have chrome barrel's and chambers and are just a little more money than a yugo.Norinco's,Bulgarian's,and polytech's are better yet. Do you see a patern forming hear?

Then you have the brand new Saiga's AKM's in 308 and 12 gauge which are impoted in a sporting configuration but can be easily modified to a standard AK profile.These are some really awsome brand new weapons for around $500.If you modify them back to an "assualt" profile you have to put a certain amount of US made part's in them to be legal,(google section 922 r complianceif your going to do that.

WASR's can be had for less than $400 at J&S. GO GET ONE! :s0155:

WASR-10 - Cheaply produced AK, I've heard of some common problems, most can be fixed with a little work. Only fires Semi-Auto. Also was once a "Sporter"

AK-47 an assault rifle that was also cheaply produced, en mass by the soviet union.

I thought about getting a WASR-10. They were cheap, I only wanted to spend 500 dollars on a gun at most.

I found the GP75 at JG Sales to be better looking. At the time I read the reviews, some of them noted that it was higher quality than your average WASR-10. And it's barrel and receiver were also made here in America.

So I went with that. After some research, I found out that they were made with parts kits from the Romanian Patriot Guard. It also has a G2 trigger on it, which is one of the few products that Tapco does right.

WASR's may be the cheapest of the AK's but they still work. And work. And work........... Other types may have better finishes and look a little nicer. They're just a bare bones AK that does the job.

WASR's may be the cheapest of the AK's but they still work. And work. And work........... Other types may have better finishes and look a little nicer. They're just a bare bones AK that does the job.

I have often thought of getting an AK. I have shot them and they are fun. I wouldn't buy one just because it's cheap. What would you reccommend as the best value. I consider dependability the number one criteria.

I have often thought of getting an AK. I have shot them and they are fun. I wouldn't buy one just because it's cheap. What would you reccommend as the best value. I consider dependability the number one criteria.

First decide if you want an AK 47 in 7.62 x 39 or an AK 74 in 5.45 x 39

I prefer the AK 74 because I can buy an 1100 round tin of excellent surplus ammo for $150

Check out the AK74 Tantal at www.classicarms.us if we can get a group buy on 5 together we could buy them for $399 ea plus shipping and FFL fees

You have to watch out with the century built tantals, they used barrels made for 5.56mm so they're a little larger than a 5.45 barrel, and some have been known to keyhole.

You should really see it in person before you buy it.

Over the years I have had lots of problems with Century guns.

Even today they are still having problems with the "Golani" rifles. Read the feedback at JG Sales:

http://www.jgsales.com/product_revi...23-caliber,-with-folding-stock-/cPath/209_214

And this is not an isolated example. Several of the guns I've bought from them over the years have been great. But I've also had several problems. Even the Wasr's have problems with mags fitting and canted sights etc.

I think the best value is to find one of the guns made on a "kit" by a reputable company like <broken link removed> There are a number of these companies around the country that make quality guns.

If you can't afford a better gun, than go with a Wasr, but check it carefully to see if the front sight is canted off to one side or the other and check to see if the mags insert smoothly. Most are great, but I've had so many problems with Century guns that I would look them over very carefully and fire them before I buy if possible.