JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have the opportunity to purchase several 47's and some 74's. Problem is that I don't know the in's and outs of these guns. If some one can take the time to give an abbreviated rundown of which makes, models, and names in a list of quality and what to look for it would help. I have shot everything I am considering with absolutely no failures in the group of guns this guy has. He has some pistol Draco's, Century Arms and some Romanian (sp) aand several others. I know my AR's pretty good I just don't know these guns. This would be a purchase for lack of a better explanation guns that will go bang when I need them to, if that makes sense to everyone.

Just asking to be complete as possible without giving a historical rundown on the guns, again, if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for your taking the time to respond to an uneducated Ak buyer.

Unpossible....would be easier for you to list what they have and go from there. You're talking well over 100 different variants ( probably more like 300 ) that you'd have to cover...

If you want a basic AK that goes bang everytime you pull the trigger, a Romanian WASR fits the bill. Its at the lower end for fit and finish, but will get the job done. Earlier models had issues with some having canted sights or gas blocks, but they still worked. Just check down the top to make sure the one you are looking at isn't so affected.

At the higher end are Chinese and preban Yugoslavian rifles.

Most out there on the retail market are kit builds made from a mixture of foreign and US parts to comply with 922r requirements. I'm not a big fan of these but many like them. Most builders are reputable, but rather than go through the list of whats good and what isn't, just go and see what rifles you are looking at and do a quick online search with your smartphone and any issues with that particular brand will pop up pretty quick.

Keith

Unpossible....would be easier for you to list what they have and go from there. You're talking well over 100 different variants ( probably more like 300 ) that you'd have to cover...

^ This...

The search function, here and on a variety of other forums, is your friend.

Do you really expect someone to write you a treatise on every AK variant out there, rank them, etc, etc. A specific question is one thing, but asking to be told everything about such a broad subject? Even if ONE person actually takes the time are you going to just accept that as gospel? There is a ton of good information out there available at the stroke of a few keys - parse through it, try and sort the good from the not-so-good and make an educated decision.

I realize that I'm being a bit harsh but what is it with forum posters here and elsewhere just wanting to be spoon fed information?

^ This...

Do you really expect someone to write you a treatise on every AK variant out there, rank them, etc, etc. A specific question is one thing, but asking to be told everything about such a broad subject? Even if ONE person actually takes the time are you going to just accept that as gospel? There is a ton of good information out there available at the stroke of a few keys - parse through it, try and sort the good from the not-so-good and make an educated decision.

I realize that I'm being a bit harsh but what is it with forum posters here and elsewhere just wanting to be spoon fed information?

Research is hard.

:s0114:

^ This...

Do you really expect someone to write you a treatise on every AK variant out there, rank them, etc, etc. A specific
question is one thing, but asking to be told everything about such a broad subject? Even if ONE person actually takes the time are you going to just accept that as gospel? There is a ton of good information out there available at the stroke of a few keys - parse through it, try and sort the good from the not-so-good and make an educated decision.

Agreed. I don't cater to people that just want a quick answer from everybody elses hard work of knowledge from years of learning. More so when someone just wants to make a quick buck. So no, I don't think you are being harsh at all.

To the op: you say you want a ak that goes bang every time. That pretty much narrows it down to every ak out there. Maybe you should re-ask the question of what ak's are more desirable than others. I think the guys responding would be a little more generous to helping.

To the rest......

I was asking for some help.....that's all. They are for me only, I am not a dealer.

This guy wants a quick decision for the estate sale. I am not trying to have anyone do work for me...i am utilizing a resource for information and trying to get as much info and knowledge as possible.

But instead it looks like some people are frustrated the question was even asked....

To the rest......

I was asking for some help.....that's all. They are for me only, I am not a dealer.

This guy wants a quick decision for the estate sale. I am not trying to have anyone do work for me...i am utilizing a resource for information and trying to get as much info and knowledge as possible

But instead it looks like some people are frustrated the question was even asked....

Ya gotta look at how your post comes off and others point of view. Either way, let us know
what kind of ak's you eventually buy and pics would be cool also.

Also check out www.ak47.us/

From my limited knowledge of AKs that I have gleaned from these articles ,it seems to me if you get any AK at a good price ,it's worth it.If you are buying a few,then the ones that have any hick ups are parts guns.
But that's probably not going to happen with decent ammo.
And there are tons of parts on the interwebben along with info about the AKs

So if you are buying from an estate and buying a few,you should be getting them pretty reasonable,no?
I'd just buy them and shoot them and resell the ones you don't like as much.

I personally like AKs that are made with all new parts and not new and old (used) parts mix. I like chrome lined barrels and receivers with mag dimples. I personally own a Draco and the only time I had a jam was with my drum mag (last round would not feed). It's also important to use good quality mags and not some POS aftermarket mag. I have shot a Romanian G code, saiga IZ-240 (AK74) Arsenal, and of course my Romanian Draco and it was reliable. With the Saiga I had to install a bullet guide to have reliable feeding with factory AK mags.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top