JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tried it... "hated it!"

There are pros & cons to it, but mostly cons IME.

CONS:
1. Uncomfortable as in digs into the leg or groin depending on placement on anything larger than a snubnose.
2. Increased likelihood of shooting yourself in the Fem Arty. (spare me the "big boy rules" crap please)
3. Closed front cover garments only.
4. Not as smooth transitions for carbine to secondary. Can't just drop the primary and draw as the primary lands over the pistol and clearing the cover garment is harder than SSOWB.

PROS:
1. Much better access while in car than SS carry. I solve this with a crossdraw BUG as I like the BUG idea for other reasons.
2. Easier to clear the garment in the FUT. (solved by CD BUG))
3. Access while on back improved. (again solved by CD BUG)
4. Works better in NPEs if your body style doesn't print it. (bump frisk protection)

Assuming the shooter is experience with guns and actually practices and has perfect trigger finger safety habits, then I say try it and see if it's for you.

I do occasionally, but not regularly.... and have for about three years. It's the only IWB method I can tolerate. Comp-tac 2 O'clock. The single clip is quite secure and holds the piece in just the right position for me with very little movement once clipped to a right sized and double thick belt. Works in any position, and especially for sitting and driving. Have one for a 3" subcompact auto and one for a J frame. I am careful and deliberate when re-holstering....you really have to pay attention.

I started with an older version of the Sparks SS....it works but I don't like it nearly as well. The single clip of the Comp-tac seems to keep the rig from moving around as much as than the two-strap configuration of the Sparks.

I have gotten used to AIWB and that's how I carry now, along with pocket and occasionally 4 oclock. I have Dale Frick Archangel kydex holsters for Glock and XDM. They are good in seasons when I wear heavier clothes. They are also faster than I am. I will say that Desantis Pro Stealth tactical nylon single clip are the most comfortable. I even find re-holstering not too much of a problem with them.

Tried AIWB carry....not a fan. Did it with a PagerPal when I needed to tuck in my shirt, now I just use a Crossbreed.

A couple things to note- drawing from seated is virtually impossible and very important to me. All my daily carry guns are in an outside the waistband holster, angled forward as much as possible (making the gun straight up and down when seated). Before anyone gets all flammer on me, I have a 33" waist with absolutly no gut (I weigh 170lbs soaking wet). I can see the pros and cons to this...but I'd rather carry outside in a crossdraw holster before appendix carry.

*A side note to all those "ground fighters" out there talking about drawing while defending yourself- well I'd really like to see someone draw an appendix carry firearm while trying to ward off someone on their back. When you bring your feet up to place someone in the guard you might as well be preventing the gun from ever leaving its holster.

*A side note to all those "ground fighters" out there talking about drawing while defending yourself- well I'd really like to see someone draw an appendix carry firearm while trying to ward off someone on their back. When you bring your feet up to place someone in the guard you might as well be preventing the gun from ever leaving its holster.

You need to learn to arch and draw. Drawing from AIWB on your back in a FUT is one of it's biggest PROS IMO, but then again that OWCD (same setup I have, but farther back) is just as easy.

I carry my glock 19 AIWB in a raven acr and find it to be plenty comfortable. I had some reservations about it at first considering i'm not exactly the skinniest dude (6' 220lbs sporting a slight gut) but it was no problem from the get go. The hardest part for me was getting over the fact that your pistol is pretty much pointed at your "junk." As a previous poster mentioned, need to be very careful and deliberate when reholstering.

You need to learn to arch and draw. Drawing from AIWB on your back in a FUT is one of it's biggest PROS IMO, but then again that OWCD (same setup I have, but farther back) is just as easy.

Then you need to learn to either stay off your back or be able pivot and draw while on your back. You cannot effectively defend yourself from an attacker on your back while drawing at Appendix Carry. MAYBE with crossdraw, but not appendix.

Look, it's a faster draw, keeps your hands in front for easy deflection and you don't have too worry as much about being disarmed as other types of carry- agreed. With many types of carry there will always be pros and cons...and you have to decide what is best for YOU and YOUR circumstances. But these little range videos aren't going to convince me that this is the best type of carry.

Then you need to learn to either stay off your back or be able pivot and draw while on your back.

Right.Professional fighters would love to be able to keep off their stomachs when fighting,having someone "take their back",but it's not always possible.

Unless you are willing to quell the attack before you go hand to hand. Me? Not going to fist to cuffs,too old for that gubblebum.

And titsonritz,I was asking a guy about his cross draw and why.He was about 5'7 and maybe 170 working as a bouncer.Armed
A big boy came buy and pinned him and his gun in a 6:00 position against the wall.Couldn't even get his hand back out.
So I'm not a big fan of behind the back.But the appendix carry is for slender people while sitting down.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top