JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've probably done all forms of concealed carry over the years. Searching and begging the industry to make things just a bit better each time I try another holster style.

Once I found the right combination of gun and holster it all came together.

That combo was a slim subcompact in an AIWB holster with a pillow wedge. It solved a lot of problems. Except the one you are referring to.

My advice is.

Don't be F'ing around with it.

Don't be doing all sorts of random crap like practicing drawing and bolstering with LIVE rounds.

Only practice unholstering at a range or at least with others. This should be the only place you practice taking the gun in and out of the holster while in your body with live ammunition in the gun.

Otherwise. Load your gun, place it in the holster, then place entire rig into pants. This should avoid any bad luck from showing up. Removing the gun, just reverse. Take holster with gun off, remove gun (preferably no longer pointing at your junk) and unload gun.

I have a very physical job that also requires a fair amount of driving. Been appendix carrying a Glock 26 in a leather Don Hume nearly a decade. 6'2" and a buck ninety five. Can hide it under a tee shirt. Have even carried a g17 and g34 this way a couple of times. Last I looked, little Willy still in tact.

No problems yet...knock on wood. But re-holstering is always slow and deliberate, visually making sure there is nothing in the way. And I always make sure feet are out of the way and the muzzle never points inward.

I carry either a 4" 1911 OWB, 5" 1911 IWB or a Beretta 92 Compact OWB. All with one spare mag.

I'm 5'8", 160#, and I can carry any of those with a t-shirt and shorts and there are none the wiser.

Last Edited:
To each his own, of course. I'm not trying to get you to change, I'm genuinely curious.
I agree with one of your points, in relation to advantage over 4:00ish. I believe it's easier to retain in an altercation. That said, I'd rather let them take it and shoot me in the face than fight over it and perform a gender transformation.
Appendix carry lends itself to a quicker draw because you're not reaching rearward to come back forward. It also makes it easier to draw while in a car where typically the seatbelt would interfere.

With that added speed, you use it to your advantage and shoot the attacker in the face instead, or perform a wiener shortening procedure at high velocity, whichever works better for you.

Carrying appendix for me was fine when I was skinnier, but as my belly grew it became less practical to conceal while carrying appendix so I moved to 3:30/4:00. Since I've been losing weight I've played with appendix carry again.

Having a quality rigid holster, (kydex, etc, not nylon or leather) along with a reputable brand gun that hasn't been modified to the point of unreliable function, is key to feeling confident with a gun pointed effectively at your pipe the whole day.

Now that I've had my pot-stirring fun:
I'm not at all worried about shooting myself, I'm just not going to do it. I believe that if you think you're going to shoot mini-you while carrying AIWB, you are in desperate need of some safety and confidence training.
(I'm also not going to let someone shoot me in the face. Some folks choose to use obvious exaggerations that were used by others to make a point as argument. It's weak.)

AIWB is generally quicker, if you practice a lot. But you should practice a lot regardless of your carry method.

AIWB is not more concealable, this is bs and does not make sense, except when bending over. Or if you have a big ol gut to help it blend in.

AIWB without question makes it easier to not have your weapon taken from you.

And so on, and so forth.

I think AIWB wins overall, on paper with equal weight given to each point.
But I don't give each point equal weight. As I've stated a couple of times; convenience and comfort will carry a little more weight, for me.

In the end, as I've tried to say before, carry the way that works for you. Contrary to unpopular belief, it's much better to carry something/someway, than to carry nothing.
It takes a special breed to carry like in the pics shared way back at the beginning of this thread. I think it's safe to say that less than 1% would actually do this.

Edit to add: I hate wearing high waisted pants, and don't have hips. This is part of the reason I don't carry AIWB.

I carry AIWB 100% of the time. 99% of the time it's with my modified glock with the last remaining "safety" feature removed. The only thing I do differently than if I was carrying a DA/SA is I eye f**$! the gun until it's fully seated and then visually and physically confirm the trigger guard is fully contained. Other than that nothing else changes. All the safety fundamentals are the same. I've never met a person who had a gun "go off" while it was holstered. I value my Johnson but I rather take the extra 0.01 second to confirm my weapon is secure and be better prepared to fight and conceal it better in the interim.

Studying several Jerry Miculek videos I notice he always puts his thumb on the rear of the slide as he slowly holsters.

This is a great technique for DA/SA, hammer guns and guns with a grip safety all of which are my preference.

1680174044856.jpeg
0%2F05%2F26%2F052542%2F86279005%2Ftrigger-fingers7.jpg

I can appendix carry a 12" Colt Buntline with ease but I hate guns & my junk.
-Jerrold Nadler

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top