Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AIRSOFT AR15 article on Fox News main site, front page?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by CharlesAFerg, May 14, 2010.

1. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/06/exclusive-toy-gun-sold-easily-turned-real-thing/

What the &*%^*(&^*?!?!?!?! I thought this was over, settled, and done?!

"Having concluded that several other airsoft guns could not be converted to fire real ammunition, Gonnuscio said he was surprised to find that he was able to to transform this particular gun to the real thing -- and with “minimal work,” because its bottom half, or “receiver,” is so similar to an AR-15's.

To make the airsoft receiver function just like an AR-15’s, Gonnuscio said, “All you have to do is drill one hole.” "

One hole?

"The ATF has made no reported moves to regulate or seize any more of the airsoft guns, which continue to be sold in stores around the country, and it appears to be bowing to critics and reconsidering its stance on the guns' convertibility."

..Uhhh, yeah...! They would have gone all out if they REALLY knew they were right.

This is ridiculous, I can't believe their investigation didn't go any farther than the ATF. They didn't even have any critics quoted here!

2. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Without looking at the two receivers side by side.....I call BS on the ATF.....

3. Seafarinman

Seafarinman Washington State Member

The ATF did reverse themselves on the barrel shrouds of the GSG-5 SD's. They were approved for import and then a year later they decided that the barrel shrouds were in fact suppressors. I am not surprised at all. I wonder if it is related to the plastic "Plum Crazy" lowers?

4. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

They DID have a critic quoted.

Now one of those critics is reversing his position, saying at least one airsoft manufacturer has taken the quest to be authentic a little too far.

“The airsoft can be converted to an AR-15,” firearms manufacturer Leo Gonnuscio told FoxNews.com after testing the make and model of airsoft guns seized by the ATF.

Having concluded that several other airsoft guns could not be converted to fire real ammunition, Gonnuscio said he was surprised to find that he was able to to transform this particular gun to the real thing -- and with “minimal work,” because its bottom half, or “receiver,” is so similar to an AR-15's.

To make the airsoft receiver function just like an AR-15’s, Gonnuscio said, “All you have to do is drill one hole.”

5. Ragingpit

Ragingpit Rochester,WA Member

This has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. I feel that this is a attempt to keep kids from getting "into" guns. The ATF saying that these could be converted is the most ridiculous stab at reality. Give me one instance of where someone has actually attempted this conversion and I will show you a someone with no hands... cause the gun blew up.... When did imagination overrule reality?

6. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I am assuming these lowers are cast zinc. You would have to be nuts to attempt to make a firearm out of it

But ATF is nuts!

7. CharlesAFerg

...but that's not true, have you ever held one of these? That's blatantly false, hence why so many of us on here are so outraged about it.

8. cyclesarge

Their ad says their receivers are all aluminum and steel (no pot metal) which is more than I can say for some guns, like the S&W M&P22, the Colt m4-22 and Hi-Points to name a few.

9. cyclesarge

I haven't held one of these. I really doubted that you could make a firearm out of an airsoft until I saw the manufacturers video detailing the realism in looks, feel and operation. The firearms manufacturer they quoted doubted that you could make a firearm out of this or any other airsoft, until he held and examined one. Like he said, it doesn't have to GOOD firearm to be considered a firearm.

I wouldn't have any reservations about popping a TacSol or Spikes upper on one of these. All the pressure (what there is of it in a .22) is handled by the upper.

10. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

I could put an upper in a vice and smack the firing pin, too.

This is dumb. Even if they COULD be made into a firearm, what right does the government have to tell anyone they can't? "Shall not be infringed"...

11. Leif Runenritzer

Leif Runenritzer Kernilyis Active Member

Hey, it turns out that this story spans into Oregon, where the retailer of the confiscated toy guns is. I've been considering an airsoft AK, so i might have to pay them a visit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rEuTwYALho

The link is of a local news affiliate, who, believe it or not, seemed side with the airsoft dealer. One of the dealers presents the issue differently than the Fox article. he seems to sweep under the rug that it's the lower that's the issue (assuming he knows how to assemble an AR). On the other hand, i imagine it would take about $500-worth of parts to build this gun that might not work.

12. bumpkin

bumpkin SW WA 98643 Member

13. 1970camaroRS

1970camaroRS Mill Creek, WA Member

'Easily' converted or not...they aren't manufactured or sold as a firearm and takes effort, know how and additional money to convert one into a firearm. One that will likely blow up, fail to feed, fail to fire, etc. No one has any jurisdiction over a toy. I bet I could go get a Nerf gun, put a few parts together to build one really unsafe yet fuctioning firearm. Should Nerf guns be outlawed?

14. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Exactly.

An object either is or is not a firearm. There is NO grey area.

15. LuftPost

LuftPost Seattle, WA Member

this reminds me of being a kid again, filling a supersoaker with denatured alcohol, and taping a butane lighter to the front. sure it worked, for a bit, until the alcohol ate away the seals and it turned to a flaming pile of molten mush.
    to make a toy a fully functional firearm is hypothetically possible, but it would be a long, dangerous, and expensive road and not worth it in the long run. someone will end up losing an arm just like we caught ourselves on fire.

16. CharlesAFerg

:laugh: :thumbup:

I'm going to be an interesting father, considering stories like this from my own childhood. No wonder some parents are so strict.

17. cyclesarge

I can't think of any scientific reason an aluminum "toy" receiver wouldn't be up to the task when there are plastic "real AR" receivers that do it every day. Anyone care to elaborate on WHY one of these would be dangerous to fire, assuming the pins and hammer lined up?

18. LuftPost

LuftPost Seattle, WA Member

i'm no expert by any means, but i would guess because firearm receivers are built to higher standards, ie tougher construction, metal components are specific grades of steel/whatever which would be more resistant to hairline fractures, etc, which could lead to catastrophic failure in the event of just that happening, where a fracture is now present, next round cycles and the hammer release occurs when the carrier is out of battery. somehow i see the result being very bad.
    point is i guess, airsoft rifles are built to handle the pressures and stress of an airsoft round (what is that, .177? air powered no less), not a 5.56 round with a load of powder behind it.
    just my thought, and again, i'm no expert..

19. cyclesarge

How about the stress of a 9mm or .22lr? I regularly hold my thumb behind the slide on my Browning Buckmark to stop the slide from cycling and can tell you there is not a lot of force there. With a .22lr upper the bolt reseting the trigger would be the biggest stress on the lower. If the pin that the hammer rides on is half as big as the pictures make it look and steel (as the manufacturer claims) it should easily handle the pressure.

20. CEF1959

CEF1959 Willamette Valley, Oregon New Member

Getting back to the original post, all I can imagine is that things are REALLY slow at the ATF if they're chasing down Airsoft guns. Maybe it's for the best; keeps them from spending time on real mischief.