Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Airport Travel Question

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by moviespdx, Jan 13, 2010.

1. moviespdx

moviespdx Boring New Member

Can you take a gun with you on you travels nowdays with out to much hastle. I'm going to fly south and want to take a pistol with me, but I'm not sure if I can do this. Any help would be appreciated. I do have a conceal Carry permit.

2. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

3. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

South to WHERE?

I flew to Phoenix with 4 handguns not too long ago, no problems.

4. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Yeah as long as you call ahead of time and declare the firearm you will be fine.

5. moviespdx

moviespdx Boring New Member

I'm going to the Phoenix area. Thanks for the info guys.

6. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

They let you have the ammo in the mags? They told me everything had to be in it's original packaging and seperate from the firearm (or firearms) itself.

Also, you can have up to two firearms in each case but STANDBY FOR INSPECTION...make sure you lock the containers but wait to unlock them or give them the keys/combo to be unlocked. The ONE TIME I waited for them to inspect with the locks in my hands was the ONE TIME that they didn't inspect the firearms and threw them on the plane. I had to notify the TSA guys that in my bags were unsecure firearms- they had to pull the bags, delay the flight, inspect the firearms (which they should have done to begin with) and secure them, then throw them back on the plane.

Fun times...

7. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Hey, if it worked! :thumbup:

8. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Here's the deal with magazines, quoted from the TSA site:

You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).

I place my loaded mag in a flapped mag pouch, completed encasing the entire magazine. The idea is that they don't want rounds coming loose from the magazine inside the case. We all know that rounds can come loose from a magazine carried in the pocket.