JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can you take a gun with you on you travels nowdays with out to much hastle. I'm going to fly south and want to take a pistol with me, but I'm not sure if I can do this. Any help would be appreciated. I do have a conceal Carry permit.

Can you take a gun with you on you travels nowdays with out to much hastle. I'm going to fly south and want to take a pistol with me, but I'm not sure if I can do this. Any help would be appreciated. I do have a conceal Carry permit.

South to WHERE?

I flew to Phoenix with 4 handguns not too long ago, no problems.

You dont' have to call ahead of time. Arrive at the the airport 1/2 hr earlier than you normally would. Pack it in a pellican case or the like with padlocks on it. Sometimes you show, sometimes you don't show the person behind the counter. Ammo has to be in the mag not inserted in the gun or in the orig ammo packaging.

I took my Glock to Wisconsin. Two loaded mags one Glock and one box of ammo in orig packaging all locked in a pelican case the size of two glock boxed stacked on top of eachother. On the way over they had me sign a paper saying the gun was unloaded. Paper went inside the locked box. On the way back they had me sign a paper saying the gun was unloaded and the paper went on the outside of the box.

They let you have the ammo in the mags? They told me everything had to be in it's original packaging and seperate from the firearm (or firearms) itself.

Also, you can have up to two firearms in each case but STANDBY FOR INSPECTION...make sure you lock the containers but wait to unlock them or give them the keys/combo to be unlocked. The ONE TIME I waited for them to inspect with the locks in my hands was the ONE TIME that they didn't inspect the firearms and threw them on the plane. I had to notify the TSA guys that in my bags were unsecure firearms- they had to pull the bags, delay the flight, inspect the firearms (which they should have done to begin with) and secure them, then throw them back on the plane.

Fun times...

I copied this off the tsa website rules: You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

I guess mags are specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammo. That's what I did and they saw and knew it. :huh:

Hey, if it worked! :s0155:

Here's the deal with magazines, quoted from the TSA site:

You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).

I place my loaded mag in a flapped mag pouch, completed encasing the entire magazine. The idea is that they don't want rounds coming loose from the magazine inside the case. We all know that rounds can come loose from a magazine carried in the pocket.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top