JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to take a couple guns with me on an extended work trip to New Mexico and looking for some suggestions on a decent case. Not looking to spend $200+ on a pelican but will if need be. Looking for a case that will fit a scoped 10/22 and ar15 with an aimpoint. Fitting a pistol in there also would be great but not a must. Any suggestions on flying with guns also welcome. Thanks in advance.

Boyt H51
Carries two rifles, plus 1 pistol and several boxes of ammo. Only trick is to keep it under 50# with the ammo.
I've had it, I have it's Pelican Twin. The Boyt is the only case I had that would fit the Savage 110 BA in 338 Lapua, the Pelican would not. I have multiple foam inserts for the Pelican, one to carry 2x AR15 + 1 CZ75, a second to carry two wildcats: 1 7LRM w/ removable stock & 1 338 Edge with collapsible stock (together), and lastly one to carry a 26" bbl Savage 110 + AR15.

I Prefer the latches on the Boyt over the Pelican. Boyt's customer service is outstanding.

Currently on Sale at Midway for $149. You can find it elsewhere for similar pricing.

Boyt H51 Double Rifle Case Solid Foam Insert Wheels 53-1/2 Polymer

I started flying with checked handguns in the early 90's.

Generally speaking - you can carry up to 11 lbs. of ammo in checked luggage but it can't be in the same locked case as the firearm. If you have hard-sided luggage you're not required to have a gun in a hard case. If you have soft sided luggage the gun must be locked in (preferably) the factory hard case. The gun can't have a loaded magazine but a magazine is considered a suitable container/holder. Just don't have it in the same case as the gun. Strangely enough, the luggage must be locked with non-TSA approved locks so the gorillas downstairs can't use their master key to open it.

The most important thing to do is check with the airline regarding checked firearms. Different carriers have different rules and I got into an argument with a Delta agent but after talking to the supervisor they discovered their internal site was outdated & the website was correct.

Amazon has some pretty good deals on hard gun cases & while they're not Pelican level they're close. I have a nice hard double rifle case I got at Cabela's for about $90. Expect to pay a lot more if your checked bag is over the weight limit - I had to pay about $100 when one of my bags was 4 lbs overweight but there wasn't anything I could throw out that would've helped.

Edit - I've only flown with handguns inside luggage so ammo inside cased rifles may be different.

Last Edited:
Looking to take a couple guns with me on an extended work trip to New Mexico and looking for some suggestions on a decent case. Not looking to spend $200+ on a pelican but will if need be. Looking for a case that will fit a scoped 10/22 and ar15 with an aimpoint. Fitting a pistol in there also would be great but not a must. Any suggestions on flying with guns also welcome. Thanks in advance.
I have flown into El Paso Airport to go north to Las Cruces, and have flown into Albuquerque. I have never had any troubles at all. I use a Halliburton Rifle Case and a Plano Pistol Case. I just declared them at the baggage check, they weigh them and put the luggage tags on them, and the "unloaded firearm" tag inside, then had me carry them to the TSA guy for screening. I have done this probably 6-8 times and have NEVER had any trouble, not here at PDX or in NM or TX.

Just be polite, and be ready to open the cases for a cursory inspection, and then be ready to BS with the TSA guy about what you're carrying, and how do you like it, etc. They never ask why, just asked how I like my pistol.

I have a LARGE wheeled suitcase, and I generally am able to fit the pistol case inside it. Both the cases lock. As adding security, I lock the case TO THE luggage. The pistol case handle gets a trigger lock around it and the frame inside the suitcase. This is to prevent somebody from pulling out the big pistol case.

Have a safe trip!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top