JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone else here hunt with an air rifle? They are loads of fun to hunt with, and are very cheap to shoot once you are done with the initial investment.

I really enjoy the challenge of getting closer to your quarry, and the accuracy airguns display within their limited range.

I do this almost daily. I try to pop starlings whenever they get close and now I am working on calling down some crows off of their roost route.
The starlings follow the robins around and when the robins find the food, the starlings swarm. I have wiped out many of the local flock. During late May and early June after the chicks have hatched and go to ground, you can get two fer's when the adult brings the food back to the chick.
They are very leary and spook real easy. I shoot the Diana Mag 350 by RWS with a 30 yard zero. I shoot everything in .177. I had to put a scope on because it shoots great groups with the iron sights but target definition is a problem with the old eyes. I use the same RWS scope on my .223 AR and it works real good.
If you haven't done it, go to youtube and look at crow hunting with the air rifle and look at the ones done by the Russians that shoot in the city. They get 70 yard kills on crows right downtown. There are about 5 of their videos.
What are you shooting? I am looking at getting one of the ones that you pump up with a tank or hand pump to shoot.

I do this almost daily. I try to pop starlings whenever they get close and now I am working on calling down some crows off of their roost route.
The starlings follow the robins around and when the robins find the food, the starlings swarm. I have wiped out many of the local flock. During late May and early June after the chicks have hatched and go to ground, you can get two fer's when the adult brings the food back to the chick.
They are very leary and spook real easy. I shoot the Diana Mag 350 by RWS with a 30 yard zero. I shoot everything in .177. I had to put a scope on because it shoots great groups with the iron sights but target definition is a problem with the old eyes. I use the same RWS scope on my .223 AR and it works real good.
If you haven't done it, go to youtube and look at crow hunting with the air rifle and look at the ones done by the Russians that shoot in the city. They get 70 yard kills on crows right downtown. There are about 5 of their videos.
What are you shooting? I am looking at getting one of the ones that you pump up with a tank or hand pump to shoot.

Yea starlings are as wary as they get. I have only hunted them once back when I had my AirForce Condor in .25 caliber, but didn't connect on the one shot opportunity I had.

I have seen the Russian crow hunting videos. I would love to hunt crow, but here in Oregon they are only legal to take with a shotgun, as they are a federally protected migratory bird according to the game regs.

I shoot a SamYang 909, and out of all the guns I have personally shot, powder burners included, the 909 is my favorite. I have taken a corsican ram, a small wild boar, and several nutria and small game using this rifle. Right now, I am focused on coyote, fox, and bobcat. Raccoon if the opportunity presents itself.

When considering a PCP air rifle, take a good hard look at the Korean guns, particularly the Sumatra 2500 in .25 caliber, the Career 201S in 9mm, and the SamYang 909 in .454 (actually more like .456). The Korean air rifles are an excellent value.

If you have a big budget, and are willing to "settle" for .22 caliber hehe look to the Air Arms rifles. The walnut stock option is well worth it.

Can you recharge PCP guns yourself? For some reason, I've always thought you needed a dive shop or someone else to refill the tank.

I've been thinking about getting an air rifle for nutria. My in-laws have a cabin in one of the National Parks & nutria have started showing up there. However, no "guns" are allowed in the Parks, so I've been thinking an air rifle would be a way to get around that.

BTW, I didn't even know there were Korean PCP guns - I'll have to take a look at those.

I also do this daily, Nothing like hunting in the local park....My friend and I get all gillie suited out and take rabbit, squirl and pest birds. Ive seen this product called shoot more its for rabbit, I havnt tried it or any other scent lure yet but plain to try some out i found on ebay. Has anyone on here tried them and if so what brand and with what luck?

About the cost to get setup up to hunt with air rifles/pistols. Crossman makes a pump 177/22 cal pistol that works very nice for rabbit hunting in thick brush also thier co2 pistol is upgradeable and you can change the valve and barrel so it shoots 25 CAL PELLETS. If you look around and do your research also with trial and error you can hunt with air and lead for cheap. I take squirls at 60+ yards with a 177 crossman break barrel with a peep sight that ive had sence i was 16 one shot kills too. Oh and look up Dragon slayer air rifle sometime its a .50cal they have 9mm and some others aswell:)

Can you recharge PCP guns yourself? For some reason, I've always thought you needed a dive shop or someone else to refill the tank.

I've been thinking about getting an air rifle for nutria. My in-laws have a cabin in one of the National Parks & nutria have started showing up there. However, no "guns" are allowed in the Parks, so I've been thinking an air rifle would be a way to get around that.

BTW, I didn't even know there were Korean PCP guns - I'll have to take a look at those.

Yes you can charge the rifle yourself. It uses a special pump (the HillPump is the best pump made) that looks like a bicycle pump on steroids. I hardly ever use a scuba tank.

Nutria can be tough. I would look into the Korean PCP's which tend to be pretty powerful. Get the .25 caliber and you will be amazed at what it can do. I feel the .25 is the best all-around airgun caliber you can get. With I wasn't forced to sell mine, but it was that or the SamYang, and the SamYang ain't going nowhere LOL!

Solowars, not wanting to rain on your parade, but have you looked into the legality of projectiles in town? Seems most locales have ordinances against anything that shoots a projectile in town being discharged in the city limits. There is nothing I would like more than to go down to the park on the river, and decimate the invasive red sqwerl population.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was an avid bird hunter from about 6-17 and killed every single day just about. It was dooms day when I got the semi auto co2 powered 10 round clip pelet gun. I instantly doubled my kill numbers until the local flock and group of squirels and rabbits were extinct

hahaha yes i am awhare about the laws but yet i still find myself in camo hunting varmint in city limits. Ive never shot anyone or anything i wasnt suppose to so i havnt had any problems yet. Ive even used a home made spear/sharpend stick and killed rabbit. When it snowed over the winter i even got a year old coyote with my break barrel .177 at 20 feet. Shot him once right between the eyes and once in the back of the head as he was running away. he made it another 40 yards and fell over dead. Today i shot a fox squril out of my neighbors tree. One shot kill with a preditor ballistic pellet.

Guys I guess I should have been more specific.

I was directing my question towards legitimate hunters that hunt legally.

Not poachers and delinquents, that give airgun hunting a bad name by using them illegally, and are dumb enough to brag about it on the internet:s0123::s0154:

why would i use a pellet rifle were i can use a bull barrel varmint rig..... And theres no reason to call names it just makes yourself look stupid. i could have started out by calling you a yuppie or an old fart but i guess i have more class then you and im a redneck hahahahaha. JOKE IS ON YOU BUDDY

Anyways yeah i poach things that do not belong in oregon or in the city, If you got a problem with thats too bad i could care less about what you think about me.

Somthing smells like hippie....

why would i use a pellet rifle were i can use a bull barrel varmint rig..... And theres no reason to call names it just makes yourself look stupid. i could have started out by calling you a yuppie or an old fart but i guess i have more class then you and im a redneck hahahahaha. JOKE IS ON YOU BUDDY

Anyways yeah i poach things that do not belong in oregon or in the city, If you got a problem with thats too bad i could care less about what you think about me.

Somthing smells like hippie....

Why use a pellet rifle? Getting closer is more challenging and adds to =the hunt for me. You likely wouldn't get it.

I didn't call you any name you didn't give yourself. You labeled yourself a poacher and described delinquent behavior. When it comes to you and "class" you sure guessed wrong.

LOL someone called me a hippie! I got a good laugh from that thanx.

Ok - let's please keep it civil. Back to the original topic...

In terms of hunting, how do hunting regs look at air rifles? Are you limited to what you can hunt with them? Limited to when?

You can hunt fur bearers and gray squirrel with them, and any un-regulated species like invasives and coyotes.

They aren't legal for big game in Oregon (yet), as the terminology in the weapons regulations excludes them, as they are not "centerfires" or "firearms".

I'm working on getting them in the Oregon game regs. for deer.

Would you take a minute and give some more specific information on Korean air rifles etc., that were mentioned in earlier threads? The Russian guys on youtube are getting 70 yds and more on the crows but they don't really show much on the air rifles they are using.
What about the Benjamin "discovery" rifle that was in a write up recently? They noted 15 or so accurate shots before repumping and the down side comment was about the amount of pumping needed to get back to PSI.

Hunting in every park I know of, Oregon or Washington is illegal.

We do not promote illegal activity on this forum, nor do we allow the discussion of it. It doesn't make hunters look good, and it certainly doesn't help out gun owners and being able to protect our rights.

We don't need photos of dead things, and lets leave the name calling to the children, and be adults.

Please move on with the discussion.

Hunting in every park I know of, Oregon or Washington is illegal.

We do not promote illegal activity on this forum, nor do we allow the discussion of it. It doesn't make hunters look good, and it certainly doesn't help out gun owners and being able to protect our rights.

We don't need photos of dead things, and lets leave the name calling to the children, and be adults.

Please move on with the discussion.

Good to hear the administration here agrees with my outlook on illegal activity. I was starting to wonder about the peeps here.

No trophy pics on the hunting board? Won't happen again: I really had no idea (you guys must get away with some pretty tall tales, knowing pics aren't allowed lol!). Glad I didn't post a picture of the hog I killed in Oklahoma.

DennisF, could you tell me what you want to know? I could type for a really long time going over the Korean guns.

The Discovery. Good introductory PCP. Buy it from Mac1 (third generation airgun tuner) as he goes over each rifle personally, and rubs his magic on them a bit.

If you are interested in the Disco, you should really check out the new Crosman/Benjamin "Marauder".

WARNING: in this link, there is a 600 page report on the affects of a 260 grain SWC shot from my power-tuned 909. This was a one shot kill..

WARNING GRAPHIC LINK WARNING GRAPHIC LINK

WARNING GRAPHIC LINK WARNING GRAPHIC LINK

Wichaka, What have you learned about that Discovery? Anyone carry them locally? I spkoe with a local gunmaker that can order them because he is interested in one also. I have to go back thru the threads and make note of those Korean ones mentioned earlier. Have you gone to youtube and watched the Russian guys that use the pump up type of air rifles. search crow hunting with air rifles.

Butcher45, I was just looking for a brand name to use for a search to read up on them. There is one fella that shoots the rimfire competition on Thursday mornings at Clark Rifles in east vancouver. I may sit in on the meet this morning and pick his brain. His looks to be a total custom rig and he fills from a scuba tank. Did you see the pictures of the 1400 pound hog that was passed around on the net last month? There was one mounted at the last show here in PDX that was almost that big.

hahaha yes i am awhare about the laws but yet i still find myself in camo hunting varmint in city limits. Ive never shot anyone or anything i wasnt suppose to so i havnt had any problems yet. Ive even used a home made spear/sharpend stick and killed rabbit. When it snowed over the winter i even got a year old coyote with my break barrel .177 at 20 feet. Shot him once right between the eyes and once in the back of the head as he was running away. he made it another 40 yards and fell over dead. Today i shot a fox squril out of my neighbors tree. One shot kill with a preditor ballistic pellet.

As much as I hate squirrels, living and dying in their horrible stench within my attic, scratching holes in my electrical wiring, insulation, and drywall.. This is a horrible example to make of yourself and others, regardless of whether or not people are justified or not in shooting or trapping them. In my case, I ahd to wait until they died and for a time when I knew there were no straggglers up there, removing the flea-ridden, maggot covered stinking little squirrel carcasses and seal up the holes in the wood where they had been entering. As bogus as the laws are regarding this subject, especially air rifles, you present a horrible example.

Don't show up at a shoot with me, and if I find out that you are there, I will be sure to remove you. I have absolutely no reason to trust you with firearms.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top