Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Air Gun Targets

Discussion in 'Air Rifle & Pistol Discussion' started by Capn Jack, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a motorized Caldwell Shootin Gallery. It's made for .22 rimfire.

As a winter project, I'm thinking of building a set of light weight targets for it, then
    I could use it in my garage as an indoor range for both air rifle and air pistol practice.

The main problem I will need to over come will be finding a material that is strong enough
    to withstand the 400 -800 fps. strike of a pellet, yet light enough to be knocked down.
    The existing .22 targets appear to be 3/16 steel.

Any ideas out there, or am I reinventing the wheel?

Jack...:cool:

2. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I don't think it'll take much to withstand the impact. I have several little air gun traps that are made from light (22ga?). Sheet metal and they have held up to repeated impacts. You may have to replace them every few thousand shots if you go that light, I think 16 ga would hold up forever

3. Capn Jack

Thanks Monster,
    That sounds like something I could almost do with a set of aircraft shears. Using steel I could do away
    with having to weld on a pivot and just "Roll" one into the bottom of the target.:)

Jack...:cool:

4. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I'll try and send you a couple pics of my traps when I get home to show you the kind of damage a 1000 fps 22 cal air rifle will do. It does leave a little dent but these are pretty thin material

5. Capn Jack

I'm using a Crosman M-177, with 5 pumps and a Walther CP-88, C02, .177, both of them surprisingly accurate.
    I have one of the little swinging Caldwell targets, but they're just a tad small for pistol. Interesting though, when I use the rifle, the pellets go through the paper target, flatten against the steel disk and lift the target off. Surprised me. :eek: I thought I had some bad glue.

Jack