Air Gun Targets

Discussion in 'Air Rifle & Pistol Discussion' started by Capn Jack, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Capn Jack

Capn Jack
    Wet-Stern Washington
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a motorized Caldwell Shootin Gallery. It's made for .22 rimfire.

As a winter project, I'm thinking of building a set of light weight targets for it, then
    I could use it in my garage as an indoor range for both air rifle and air pistol practice.

The main problem I will need to over come will be finding a material that is strong enough
    to withstand the 400 -800 fps. strike of a pellet, yet light enough to be knocked down.
    The existing .22 targets appear to be 3/16 steel.

Any ideas out there, or am I reinventing the wheel?

Jack...:cool:

2. IronMonster

IronMonster
    Free Idaho!
    Opinionated Member Lifetime Supporter

I don't think it'll take much to withstand the impact. I have several little air gun traps that are made from light (22ga?). Sheet metal and they have held up to repeated impacts. You may have to replace them every few thousand shots if you go that light, I think 16 ga would hold up forever

Joe13 likes this.
  3. Capn Jack

Capn Jack
    Wet-Stern Washington

Thanks Monster,
    That sounds like something I could almost do with a set of aircraft shears. Using steel I could do away
    with having to weld on a pivot and just "Roll" one into the bottom of the target.:)

Jack...:cool:

Joe13 likes this.
  4. IronMonster

IronMonster
    Free Idaho!
    Opinionated Member Lifetime Supporter

I'll try and send you a couple pics of my traps when I get home to show you the kind of damage a 1000 fps 22 cal air rifle will do. It does leave a little dent but these are pretty thin material

Joe13 likes this.
  5. Capn Jack

Capn Jack
    Wet-Stern Washington

I'm using a Crosman M-177, with 5 pumps and a Walther CP-88, C02, .177, both of them surprisingly accurate.
    I have one of the little swinging Caldwell targets, but they're just a tad small for pistol. Interesting though, when I use the rifle, the pellets go through the paper target, flatten against the steel disk and lift the target off. Surprised me. :eek: I thought I had some bad glue.

Jack

6. jaxworks

jaxworks
    Hillsboro, Or

Attached are a pellet trap I recently made and tested ...using a 45 ACP...the bullet went in less that 6 inches. Basically you take a box and line it with cardboard..I used a milk crate. Then you fill it with the shredded rubber compost they use for playgrounds. You can buy this at Lowes or Home Depot. Get some closed cell foam, not the brittle kind and use it to hold the rubber in...makes a great backing to staple the targets to. No way you will ever shoot thru it and "bonus"...it is completely silent. P1000962.JPG P1000964.JPG P1000969.JPG P1000970.JPG

Joe13 likes this.
  7. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I use layered carpet to shoot pellets into. If you add that to your thin steel targets it will probably catch quite a few of them and keep the ricochets to a minimum.

8. jaxworks

jaxworks
    Hillsboro, Or

Carpet is fine but it doesn't hold up over time. This trap lasts and there are zero ricochets and no noise. The foam makes it easy to staple and remove paper targets. To each his own I guess.

Joe13 likes this.
  9. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver

Wasn't a condensation of your trap... it's a great idea/design.

I was just stating what I use and might be able to be glued to sheet metal to help it last longer.

I have my layers in small boxes and use tape for the targets but we are shooting paper and it was my understanding the OP was shooting moving metal targets so I'm not sure they would end up in the trap anyway.

10. jaxworks

jaxworks
    Hillsboro, Or

no sweat...I think you meant to say 'condemnation'....in any case I am glad we have a forum to post ideas.......good shooting.........

Joe13 likes this.
  11. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver

lol I hate my spell checker:D

12. ditchtiger

ditchtiger
    In the sticks, Willamette Valley

Joe13 likes this.