JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So try not to laugh, maybe this is a silly question! I'm still new to firearms but willing to learn.

While I was in my handgun safety class the instructor gave us a little test to find out which eye is your dominant eye. He asked us to pretend we were holding an old fashion telescope and hold it to our eye, what ever eye you naturally hold it to is your dominant eye.

So I'm right handed but left eye dominant. When I shoulder my rifle, looking down the sights feels awkward with my right eye. Is this a situation where I just need to get used to using my right eye?

:)

You can learn to shoot left handed or have your stock modified / new stock with a crook built in or yes learn to shoot with your right eye. Those are your choices when you are cross dominate.

Could you do something like this?

OffsetScope.jpg

Im the same I see much better with my left eye so I shoot ambidextrously with rifles.
With irons I can only go about 150-200 yards and that depends on the target and color.

Pistols is all righty.

You can either shoot left handed or find mounts that fit your needs. They make stuff for just about every kind if shooter.

Same for me here. Irons on rifles are tough for me, red dots really help as it is easy to keep both eyes open. When shooting a pistol I shoot right handed but aim with my left eye. It was awkward at first but after training it feels natural.

This is more common than you might think. For target shooting, they always say shoot with your dominant eye, even if it means using your non-dominant trigger finger. Most target style sights are available with offsets like the scope picture above. For simple plink/hunt, I'd try a blind on the dominant eye. In fact, I'm a fan of blinds regardless. Less unneeded input=more concentration.

Thanks for all the replies! Yeah, I wont be doing any serious competition shooting or anything but I was really curious on what everyone else thought about it.

What is the "Scout rifle concept"?

I'm in the same boat but reversed (left handed, right eye dominant). So I shoot rifles right handed (which is convenient since those are more common) and shoot pistols left handed, moving the pistol in line with my right eye. I've seen some shooters keep the pistol in the same spot and turn their head to get their dominant eye behind the pistol, but I find it more comfortable to look straight ahead.

easier to practice left handed than go through a lot trying to adapt a gun. with practice it's easier than you may think. of course a "blinder" over your left eye will work just fine too.

I've been searching high and low for insights and research into how to achieve this. Have you any that you can share?

Well I haven't done it, but from my understanding you just have to use the non dominant eye, which means basically putting a patch on the dominant eye for maybe weeks.

I am still doing some research on it, someone I know have the same issue. I one thing I haven't found is , if it stays permanent .

I've had people say it can be done, and eye doctors say it can't be done. But my eye dominance has changed from right to left. If it changed once, it seems like it could change again.

one other thought for you. try and learn to shoot with both eyes open that is better for you in the long run, you can see what is going on around you a lot better than with one eye looking at your sights

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top