JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you like to shoot a lot of different calibers, reloading can be a chore when you are continually having to adjust the die after spinning it back into the press.
Sure the lock ring helps you get close, but probably have to check headspace with an accurate case gauge to make sure.

I had always thought you had to have a Hornady Press to use Lock n Load so I never looked into it as I wasn't ready to switch presses.
Recently while attending an advanced reloading class taught by our group's best shooters, I watched one of the teachers switch out dies using the Lock n Load system.
It obviously was accurate enough for him and you can't beat the speed with which you can swap dies in and out.
I realized I could get the Hornady Lock n Load inserts and use them with my RCBS single stage reloading press and never have to adjust dies more than once unless I wanted to.

Most dies are 7/8 - 14 which translates to 7/8" hole with 14 threads per inch.
Several sturdy presses like the RCBS Rock Chucker, Redding Automag, and Hornady Lock n Load, have a large threaded insert where the 7/8in dies go.
When the 7/8-14 sleeve is removed, the press will accept the much larger 1 1/4 in based dies.

The Hornady Lock n Load bushing have been around forever though I never gave them much thought till I saw one of these NRA High Master shooters using his Lock and Load press outfitted with the bushings quickly change dies ACCURATELY with the twist lock bushing inserts.

The bushings have cams that lock into place allowing dies to be swapped in record time. Each insert comes with an O-ring which improves alignment and provides perfect tension.
Checking runout on brass sized by this setup shows it is very accurate after initial setup. Twist and Remove, Replace and Twist to switch dies with repeatable results!

You do need to purchase a sleeve for every die you want to setup. but they are less than $5 when purchased in a 10 pack.

For those who already latched onto this, Kudos! I'm a little slower than you and I probably sound like Captain Obvious.
For people with a press that supports 1 1/4 - 12 dies or are considering a press change, give this setup some thought. It can save so much time

The big black nut on the RCBS press comes out and the threaded Hornady LnL insert goes in.
The other side of the set spins onto the die. Now you are setup to twist lock!
RCBS Rock Chucker.jpg Lock n Load Bushing.jpg Lock n Load Bushing Kit.jpg Hornady Lock n Load.jpg

I went this route with my Rockchucker awhile back. Hadn't given the LNL setup much thought, but then had a complete NIB Classic press kit fall in my lap at a price too good to say no to. Loved the powder measure, really liked the LNL bushings, but the press, not so much. But then I found the LNL conversion kit for my RC, and the rest, as they say, is history. I also prefer the Hornady lock rings. Later.

This is a good option, and does save time for sure.
I had my single stage setup this way with good success. The bushing cost was the only downside I think...

they're ok. it would be better if the bushings were held in by a detent or somethin once its inserted and twisted though. mine work loose after a couple hundred rounds. the dies stay tight. the bushing in bushing comes loose.

I think the Hornady lock rings work well, I use them on my Lock and Load. I do keep an eye on them and if I see any wiggle at all I tighten them. After a couple re-snuggings they stay put. I haven't installed the insert in my rockchucker because, tho I haven't checked, I'll bet the stroke on the two presses is different so the dies would have to be adjusted to use the same dies on both presses. Also I take the black insert out of the Rockchucker to install my 20ga loading set up.

Last Edited:
I thought about going this route but ended up using the Hornady sure loc lock rings on my dies and putting most all of my dies in the RCBS turret press instead and using the rock Chucker for other tasks like swaging and bullet pulling.

James

raise your hand if you have more than 3 seating dies of the same caliber all set up for different pills because once they're set PERFECT you dont wanna mess with that lock ring again!! LOL.

im guilty!

Thanks for OP's report on the Hornady Lock N Load product. I've been aware of them, never looked into cost until now. Which personally I wouldn't want to undertake. I've got money to throw away on this kind of stuff but it just isn't what I want to do. I have 32 dies sets, not counting quite a number of individual, one each specialty dies of various kinds. Also not counting dies installed in several Dillon tool heads which wouldn't need LnL.

Plus, I have more than one design/brand of single stage press.

The idea of not having to screw a threaded die in/out is appealing but the chore isn't that burdensome. Every time I install a sizing die, I check it anyway. For pistol, this is pretty fast and simple. For rifle, I have my LE Wilson cartridge headspace gauges sitting nearby. Sizing rifle brass is the most critical as to adjustment and the rest are pretty easy to check/set before using. The product does give Hornady another line to sell and that's their business so good on them. If it helps others, good on them too. I'll pass for now. Always open to new ideas, though.

raise your hand if you have more than 3 seating dies of the same caliber all set up for different pills because once they're set PERFECT you dont wanna mess with that lock ring again!! LOL.

im guilty!
Convenience...extra set of .357 in a turret so I don't have to readjust for .38 and an extra set of .357 and .380 in a turret head so I don't have to reset for .351wsl...guilty as charged...and lazy...:p.

As always a good discussion. One of the several reasons this forum is awesome.
I'll add to my original post that when you fall into the precision reloading rabbit hole, you need to find ways to save time as the steps to being able to shoot 22 rounds into a 3 in circle at 600 yards can really add up. Reloading is personal and we all have ways we like to do things. Some of us spell OCD as CDO because it's alphabetical.

Lately, I shoot and reload ~100 rounds a week. If I find there's a way to save time without impacting accuracy it is really cool. I've been using a old Redding T25 6 hole turret press with whidden click adjustable lock rings. When the dies and lock rings are set, they are very accurate. I'm getting a .001 setback on my headspace for both 6BR and 6SLR. Spinning them out and putting them back in takes me a little longer and they move more than I'd like. I completely relate to someone who has multiple seating dies adjusted for different bullets.

6SLR brass is formed from .243 and takes some effort. Seemed like a good reason to add a second press considering turret presses are technically weaker than "O" style presses. Enter the Rockchucker. This is the press I'm using the LnL bushings with. Now I can quickly load my other calibers without changing my competition setup. Presses like the Rockchucker are super solid, adding the LnL bushings lets someone get quick change features without having to change presses.

Dual Presses.jpg

The LnL bushing setup works great for odd things (universal decappers, belling etc.) used on a press. But as indicated they can and do work loose so you need to check their status while using them. After many years of use they do 'wear'. The biggest problem I had/have with them is keeping the insert tight and the bushing tight. O rings help but are not perfect.

The LnL bushing setup works great for odd things (universal decappers, belling etc.) used on a press. But as indicated they can and do work loose so you need to check their status while using them. After many years of use they do 'wear'. The biggest problem I had/have with them is keeping the insert tight and the bushing tight. O rings help but are not perfect.
I really like the ability to quickly pop in the "odd" die, bullet puller, decapping die, Small Base Body die, etc.

I haven't used them long enough to observe them loosening but several have posted they have seen this. Interestingly, others have posted they don't move.

I plan to index/mark mine so I can visually check they are locked. Indexing will also address that dies with LnL bushings can also be rotated before insertion which would be bad for any die with a micrometer top should the indicator end up facing away from you.

v0lcom13sn0w posted that they would be better with a detent of some kind that would serve to improve how they lock. I'm hoping one of the geniuses out there decides to figure this out.

The Forster Coax Press might have all this solved with their quick change die system. I considered that option but moved on when they started being made with "Unobtanium".

Several high volume competitive shooters have moved alot of their steps to a Dillon 650/750 progressive setup.
Provided you accurately measure/dispense powder, that setup would be hard to beat. Even if I had one for my competitive calibers, I'd still want something for swapping in my other shooting dies.

I've had mine come loose early on, replacing the o-ring occasionally seems to help. But I've also made it a habit to just check it periodically while loading. Doesn't really add any time, and it's gotten so automatic by now that I don't even think about it, it's just part of the rhythm. It's not uncommon for me to do something load related in 2 or 3 different calibers in a session, being able to swap out that many dies nearly instantly is definitely a good thing. Later.

When I got back in to reloading I bought thd Lock n Load single stage press kit. Once the dies are set it is a fast system to swap dies.
I had an old Pacific press that you had to screw the dies in and out. I took that press to a friebd that has a metal sjop with a lock n load adaptor. Had him drill it out and tap it to except thd LnL adaptor. The pacific pressbushings were .210 of an inch to high when the ram was pushed up so back to his shop and had him remove .210 of an inch of material off of the press.
Now they are exactly the same stroke and all of my dies can be used in either press.

I buy the six packs of the bushings at cabelas for $19.99 and the pack comes with the RCBS adaptor. I have a butt load of dies and all are set up with bushings. I always have atleast two of the six packs hanging on my pegboard for new die sets.

I,m not into screwing dies in to screw them out for the next step. I have better things to do then to waste time screwing the dies in & out.
The bushings cost just about $4 a piece, money well spent.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads