JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Once you buy the press and dies, they have nothing else to sell you. LAL bushings are something else for them to get money from you in the name of "creature comfort." But I'm retired so I have the 7 seconds to load a die. :D

If you like to shoot a lot of different calibers, reloading can be a chore when you are continually having to adjust the die after spinning it back into the press.
Sure the lock ring helps you get close, but probably have to check headspace with an accurate case gauge to make sure.

I had always thought you had to have a Hornady Press to use Lock n Load so I never looked into it as I wasn't ready to switch presses.
Recently while attending an advanced reloading class taught by our group's best shooters, I watched one of the teachers switch out dies using the Lock n Load system.
It obviously was accurate enough for him and you can't beat the speed with which you can swap dies in and out.
I realized I could get the Hornady Lock n Load inserts and use them with my RCBS single stage reloading press and never have to adjust dies more than once unless I wanted to.

Most dies are 7/8 - 14 which translates to 7/8" hole with 14 threads per inch.
Several sturdy presses like the RCBS Rock Chucker, Redding Automag, and Hornady Lock n Load, have a large threaded insert where the 7/8in dies go.
When the 7/8-14 sleeve is removed, the press will accept the much larger 1 1/4 in based dies.

The Hornady Lock n Load bushing have been around forever though I never gave them much thought till I saw one of these NRA High Master shooters using his Lock and Load press outfitted with the bushings quickly change dies ACCURATELY with the twist lock bushing inserts.

The bushings have cams that lock into place allowing dies to be swapped in record time. Each insert comes with an O-ring which improves alignment and provides perfect tension.
Checking runout on brass sized by this setup shows it is very accurate after initial setup. Twist and Remove, Replace and Twist to switch dies with repeatable results!

You do need to purchase a sleeve for every die you want to setup. but they are less than $5 when purchased in a 10 pack.

For those who already latched onto this, Kudos! I'm a little slower than you and I probably sound like Captain Obvious.
For people with a press that supports 1 1/4 - 12 dies or are considering a press change, give this setup some thought. It can save so much time

The big black nut on the RCBS press comes out and the threaded Hornady LnL insert goes in.
The other side of the set spins onto the die. Now you are setup to twist lock!
View attachment 652043View attachment 652044View attachment 652045View attachment 652046
Chasing the holy grail of loading press accuracy, I have finally tossed my Lock-N-Load press bushings. This was an easy decision once the testing was done. I started placing a mark on my press and the bushing. After sizing 20 or so cases there was a distinct "slip" of the Lock-N-Load bushing in the press. Some bushings stayed put place better than others. I have a gob of these Lock-N-Load bushings and every one works and feels a little different in the press. Hornady tech support is typically excellent. When I asked them if they had plans to improve their press bushing design the response was "It must be your fault. Your press must be bad. Change your O-ring".
Seriously?
ENOUGH.
I'm switching to a turret press and using the Creedmoor Sports Enhanced Press Head for tighter tolerances.
Bye bye bushings.

Chasing the holy grail of loading press accuracy, I have finally tossed my Lock-N-Load press bushings. This was an easy decision once the testing was done. I started placing a mark on my press and the bushing. After sizing 20 or so cases there was a distinct "slip" of the Lock-N-Load bushing in the press. Some bushings stayed put place better than others. I have a gob of these Lock-N-Load bushings and every one works and feels a little different in the press. Hornady tech support is typically excellent. When I asked them if they had plans to improve their press bushing design the response was "It must be your fault. Your press must be bad. Change your O-ring".
Seriously?
ENOUGH.
I'm switching to a turret press and using the Creedmoor Sports Enhanced Press Head for tighter tolerances.
Bye bye bushings.
I admit that the LnL bushings are not panacea after working with them for awhile. I found the edges of the interlocks would get "peened" after awhile and made it difficult to remove them which negates the value :) I don't know if Lee's bushings are better or not.

At some point, I'll send Hornady the pile of sticky bushings and see what they say.
For now I only use them for basic operations like depriming, expanding, etc.

I'm another that does not see the need for adapters, and then LnL bushings to achieve the same thing my lock rings will do without all the tolerance stacking that comes with multiple threads. once locked in place they don't move. DR

Seriously?
ENOUGH.
Bye bye bushings.
I basically have come to the same conclusion and I use exactly 2 LNL bushings. One on each of my powder measures so they can easily be removed from stand and excess powder dumped back in container. As far as the redding turret press goes, it is a fine tool but even with the overpriced Creedmoor sports head, I think you will find it does not have the repeatable precision of some of the single stage presses.

I basically have come to the same conclusion and I use exactly 2 LNL bushings. One on each of my powder measures so they can easily be removed from stand and excess powder dumped back in container. As far as the redding turret press goes, it is a fine tool but even with the overpriced Creedmoor sports head, I think you will find it does not have the repeatable precision of some of the single stage presses.
Gavin does a nice job comparing 14 different presses and measuring the runout of the rounds loaded. The data is surprising.
Reloading press review

He compares progressive presses in a separate review.

they're ok. it would be better if the bushings were held in by a detent or somethin once its inserted and twisted though. mine work loose after a couple hundred rounds. the dies stay tight. the bushing in bushing comes loose.
Lee has their breechlock system in which the bushing are 'locked' in place.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top