JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was given a few hundred Aguila 'range brass'..unknown number if firings..and when I flare it it has the least resistance on the flare spud/mandrel of any of the half dozen brands I have.
I"m thinking this means it's thinner than most ? I just have an analog caliper so measuring was inconclusive.

anyone like it,hate it, etc etc for .45 acp ....or any ....uses ??

Howdy there....

My .45 ACP brass.......is usually from a mixed-up lot (fired many times over and from various mfns.). As I'm not shooting a MATCH, I don't really pay all that much attention to it. So then, as long as it ain't damaged and it has a boxer, large primer pocket, it's getting re-loaded.

Same.....with my .38 special cowboy loads. Except we aren't talking large primers anymore.

Aloha, Mark

Actually I have not had any bad .45 ACP brass. Sure there are brands that "everyone" gives a bad "Rap" (because he doesn't know what is talking about but shoots off his mouth anyway, at least as long as he's living in mommy's basement and safe from having a face to face) with off center primer flash holes, refuses to fire, brass falls to pieces the second it hits the ground, etc. I went out and bought a box of this horrible .45 ACP ammo and tried it myself. Shot fine, decent accuracy, reloaded fine, lasted as long as any other brand of .45 ACP brass did. I find that amazing because when I ordered guns they would have a "weegee board" and a divining rod to pick out the worse guns of the lot and send them to me. That's why I test fired everything that came through and sent half of it back.

Of course everyone has a bad day, there has been big name factory ammo with no flash holes, stuff that if you pressed the muzzle against the target would still miss, even an idiot that gets something right, usually by mistake, but they are exceptions, not the rule. OK, I will admit that Remington .22 ammo, especially "Thunderbolts" (the name is based, I'm guessing, on the reactions of the person who bought it and 97% refused to fire, blew rims, hangfires, etc.) is exactly what everyone seems to mean but gets .45 missed up with .22, especially from Mommy's basement.

I have been loading .45 since the early 60's and even at that time the steel cased GI plated ones, with out incident. No longer load them with the Lyman 310 nutcracker Tool and use a single stage RCBS Press. Those kerbang Glocks still no answer, and I haven't seen one, but I know they have ample chambers, strange rifling, and any repeated rechambering of a round can drive a bullet into a case creating greater chamber pressures. Primer pockets big or small isn't likely to have effect. No hole, breaks decap pins if you miss finding that case. Off center flash holes? Primers only set off the power train, and doubt if much goes on except maybe just doesn't quite fit in the group the same. Most ammo will shoot much better than the shooter can shoot. That Thunderbolt ammo has been on the market for a very long time, and I shot thousands without any negative results. I have had .22s not fire, and also very seldom blow out through the rim, leaving a sting on the trigger hand, louder than normal bang, and smoke around the chamber. Without danger and no damage to the shooter or firearm. Mostly there is some truth in stories, but by the second telling it gets expanded upon. Or else parts of it get left out.

I have been loading .45 since the early 60's and even at that time the steel cased GI plated ones, with out incident. No longer load them with the Lyman 310 nutcracker Tool and use a single stage RCBS Press. Those kerbang Glocks still no answer, and I haven't seen one, but I know they have ample chambers, strange rifling, and any repeated rechambering of a round can drive a bullet into a case creating greater chamber pressures. Primer pockets big or small isn't likely to have effect. No hole, breaks decap pins if you miss finding that case. Off center flash holes? Primers only set off the power train, and doubt if much goes on except maybe just doesn't quite fit in the group the same. Most ammo will shoot much better than the shooter can shoot. That Thunderbolt ammo has been on the market for a very long time, and I shot thousands without any negative results. I have had .22s not fire, and also very seldom blow out through the rim, leaving a sting on the trigger hand, louder than normal bang, and smoke around the chamber. Without danger and no damage to the shooter or firearm. Mostly there is some truth in stories, but by the second telling it gets expanded upon. Or else parts of it get left out.

I've never had a problem with Aguila brass. Of any size. You may note that it sizes more easily, but this doesn't necessarily mean it's thinner. It might mean it's a taste softer. So long as it holds the bullet properly it won't make any difference with .45 ACP. Remington does have some reputation for making thin brass. I save these for loading cast bullets which are slightly larger in diameter. Rem. 9mm Luger brass I load with .356 bullets, not .355. These little acts of compensation work out.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top