JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Technically you are learning from a teacher, he is just on video.
Definitely advantages and disadvantages - on both sides. If the information on the video is clear, you can understand what the teacher is explaining and can apply the lesson to the repair, mod etc. then the lesson was effective and did what it was intended to do but if you are struggling with the practical aspect of the lesson then it may become a problem. The flip side is of this is the traditional teacher and student environment which while there is no denying the advantages the disadvantages can be just as bad. What if the teacher and student do not 'click' and there becomes alienation for one student and favoritism for another? The student may be at just as much a loss. And the students who move and learn faster always seem to be favored by instructors as they do not require as much attention and are sometimes given a little more 'latitude' for their intellect and ability.

I have a couple of the videos and they are not bad. i like being able to review at my pace, but i like the immediate feedback of live teachers for difficult concepts.

I went to lassen college and trained under Bob Dunlap at the time those videos were starting to be made. I am part of the class that encouraged Bob to make those videos. I graduated with Ken Brooks who has made one or two videos. My personal opinion was that the knowledge in his brain was far too valuable to let die with him. I read these postings about other schools. When I was looking for a gunsmithing college to go to, several of the other schools said that their instructors graduated from Lassen College. So I figured why learn from the student, rather than the Master instructor. Granted he is retired now living in Oregon. But what you get from the videos is the knowledge minus his racy jokes. You also don’t have the ability to walk the gun up to him and say”is this right” and get instant feedback. As a person that has taken every gunsmithing course that Lassen had to offer and Made the Deans list every semester, taken All the summer NRA courses, I would recommend getting some of the videos to familiarize themselves with the action types, fire control systems, etc. then take some week long NRA courses. IF you have a background before you show up it will help. The other recommendation is take a machine shop class at a local college. Learn how to tig weld, run a lathe,mill, drill press and other basic tooling and metalurgy.

Honest opinion?

1. I have a number of their videos. For the most part they are good, although I have found a few inaccuracies, most notably the AK armorer's course. Two examples I can cite off the top of my head are "You can't remove the upper hand guard (from the gas tube)"... false. You can with a vice or large set of pliers/adjustable wrench and a rag... then twist! Also "It is illegal to modify an AK"... half truth. It IS legal to do so as long as you keep the weapon 922r compliant.

2. About 3 or so years ago I was seriously looking into it myself. Now I will grant that things have no doubt changed since then, but at that time they were asking about $10 grand for the video set and basic tools including a tabletop lathe. Once I expressed interest, the junk mail started rolling in from them. One thing they did that turned me off was that not long after the mail started coming in, I got a flyer from them about some hot-rod someone in the school was building, and would I please enroll so that they could finish their project. As someone who has worked on cars a lot myself, I know it can be expensive... but somehow that just rubbed me the wrong way! LOL!

3. As others have pointed out, you pretty much need to have a mechanical aptitude, a basic understanding of guns in general, and at least basic shop experience to really gain anything from the videos. They really are not for the rank beginner as others have pointed out. When I say basic shop experience, I mean knowledge and use of basic hand tools, be able to operate a drill press, belt sander, buffing wheel, that sort of thing. Getting into heavier operations like turning a barrel, etc. will require knowledge of how to operate a lathe, mill, welder, etc. By then you are basically a full-blown machinist.

4. Again as others have pointed out, nothing beats hands on experience. That's not to say that these videos aren't useful... quite the opposite. However, realize that they will only take you so far and like any other skill it can be a lifelong endeavor.

5. Something I had to find out the hard way... there is nothing to ruin a hobby for a person quite like trying to make a career out of it. Unless firearms is something that you are absolutely passionate about and can't be around it enough, think long and hard before you make a substantial commitment. Realize that if you are able to apprentice under someone, you're going to be spending a lot of time pushing brooms around before you really start to learn the trade.

But with that said and done, if you're still hearing "the calling", I say go for it! :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top