JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In all of the places where I have driven extensively, the best drivers I've seen were in Ireland. Very peaceful and congenial place in which to drive.

I'll prolly catch a load of bubblegum for this, but the United States, despite what everyone is claiming in this thread, comes in a fair second.

Other places where I've driven a lot that are worse than the above, in no particular order, include: Italy, France, UK, Scotland, and the British Virgin Islands

Hands down, no-contest, absolutely the most aggressive and hideously dangerous drivers I have ever had the misfortunate to be surrounded by are in Saudi Arabia.
When I left there 5 years ago, women still were not allowed to drive (that's recently changed, although there still aren't many female drivers). It was only men behind the wheel, and every one of them had to be the first vehicle in line, no matter where you were going. The speed at which they travel boggles the mind. I swear to God they are trying to engage warp speed or enter hyperspace. A speed limit of 120 kph (~70 mph) is interpreted by these clowns as a minimum cruising speed. I regularly found myself exceeding 100 mph just to keep up with traffic and not be an obstruction!

The "police" do nothing. They sit in their little air-conditioned shacks along the roads and smoke cigarettes all day long. "Traffic enforcement", such as it is, consists of speed-triggered automatic cameras set up in vans underneath overpasses. You know when you're coming up on one cuz they all look the same, they all park at a certain angle to aim the camera at the oncoming traffic, and they all camp out underneath overpasses. At night, you can see the flash go off from the van's back window as the cars in front of you blow by these vans. We used to slow down for them when we first got there, but then we noticed that most Saudis duct tape over their license plates or just don't even have a front plate. Cops don't care about it. So before too long we were speeding down the highways like everyone else. Got to the point where we were waving and making goofy faces at the cameras for our mug shots! :s0140:

One last thing... I think Saudis drive the way they do because of Islam. Ever heard the word "InshAllah"? It means "if God wills". If God wills it that you are to die today in a blazing, fiery crash at 100+ mph, then there's nothing you can do about that. Imagine how liberating for the mind and soul that must be, to know that you can basically drive like an bubblegum all day and every day, and when you survive, it's because... InshAllah! And if you do die in a flaming mass of twisted metal someday, then that, too, was because of InshAllah. The absolution from any amount of personal responsibility must truly be freeing...

The sides of the road in Saudi Arabia are literally, and I mean literally, strewn with the mangled, burnt-out, rusted hulks of cars in which somebody had to have died. They don't even bother to pick them up and haul them away. They're just left there, like monuments to the dead...

Last Edited:
"I'll prolly catch a load of bubblegum for this, but the United States, despite what everyone is claiming in this thread, comes in a fair second."

I mostly agree, except I think French drivers are best. An unusual combination of fast driving without being assholy driving.

Worst driving I ever saw was in Libya. I doubt there is a car in that country without a dent.

The Italians, IMO, are pretty good drivers, too. Sure, they drive fast as hell, but it's a controlled fast as hell. Unlike the Saudis...
And while passing, you can scream down a long line of cars, and at the end of it, as the approaching vehicle is rapidly closing the distance between you and it, the last car you just passed will always let you back in. Won't speed up or try to lock you out. I liked that about the Italians...

I would imagine the Libyan drivers are about as bad as or worse than the Saudis. It's their inherent air of self-importance and haughty arrogance...

Last Edited:
I've lost track of the number of times I have been passed on double yellow line roads, turn lanes used as passing lanes, tailgators etc . etc. Me, I blame it on the automatic transmission that allows highly unskilled drivers to operate a vehicle with a 'pedal to metal' mentality that never got past the 'bumper' car ride they did in middle school!

Plus, it must be mandatory there for all to sustain horn honking or I guess they'll be ticketed.
Italians have fixed that problem through evolution. They're born with a third hand that is reserved solely for honking the horn. ;)

Thanks for the witty reminder, chuckle.

I drove all over Italy. Loved it and the people. Great food too.

Come to think of it, I drove all over Europe. Never even had a 'close call', now New Zealand was a difficult place for me to drive, but staying terrified keeps you on yer toes...

Thanks for the witty reminder, chuckle.

I drove all over Italy. Loved it and the people. Great food too.
Spent many years there growing up. Have returned many, many times for fun and excitement, whenever I get bored in the States. :D

Newest PP: The snotty/haughty insult of declaring I've succeeded in life due to my 'white privilege'.

I lived an extremely difficult life as a kid hitchhiking all over the country with my alcoholic father for well over a decade.

Ever slept under an overpass, go days without eating, sleep in abandoned wrecked cars or sneak into a dark barn to sleep in the hay loft and hope Mr. Farmer doesn't catch you and well, you get the picture.

Those were the easy times, sometimes it was very dangerous. Almost died in two car crashes as one driver who picked us up was out of control drunk (and we were stupid enough to get in his car) and the other was suicidal. Not to mention almost freezing to death and I won't go on though I have many other stories of horror with nearly getting killed experiences.

Once I took over my life at 15, things slowly improved.

I persevered, worked, got an education, became (I say with modesty) wealthy, though it took many years of effort.

'White privilege'?

No.

White, yes...

I don't drive fast much anymore. Unless I'm in a rental car, then I haul balls on back roads. In fact I did 120 in a Ford Explorer this week between Missoula and great falls.
No cars out there much.
I do fail with aggressive drivers though. I get nascar on folks to fast once and a while.
I do see stupid people act like I did as a kid. And it looks stupid.
It's like watching some loud mouth at a party. I just let them act stupid and watch.

I've lost track of the number of times I have been passed on double yellow line roads

The safety nazis tend to put double yellow lines everywhere, even where it would be safe to pass. People get fed up with that.

Ever drive in Paris?

That's quite an experience.

Plus, it must be mandatory there for all to sustain horn honking or I guess they'll be ticketed.

I lived there for a year, so yeah. It was exciting and enjoyable. Back in 1980 there was no horn honking, which would have been considered rude; headlight flashing was what French men usually did. I suspect these days it is the North Africans who have moved in, who are doing it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top