Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Aggressive cyotes?

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Drkside45, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Drkside45

Drkside45 chehalis wa Member

You ever had a cyote act aggressive towards you?. My Dad and I were talking about this,of coarse they usually are very sly,and unseen,But last year when I shot my deer at dusk,It was dark by the time I feild dressed it.A pack of maybe 8 to 10 yotes were in the gut pile emediatly.I had about 1/2 mile pack out.Them pesky suckers followed me very close,in front and behind me.It was hard to see them it was so dark.I finaly had to drop my deer and open fire on them,not hitting any that I know of.They wanted my deer pretty bad.I made it out fine,but how far would they have gone? My Dad says they wouldnt have bothered me,but thats not the feeling I had that night.Me and a buddy since then have been hunting them in the same area and have bagged two so far.You ever encounter somthing like that with yotes?

2. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

3. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

Two of them tried to take down my neighbors big Great Pyrenees a few winters ago. She was a little old and not so fast and they were trying to take her down as she retreated. I scared them off but it was impressive to watch. I thought she was going to get them but then she started running from them and they were trying to take her down by the rear leg.

4. ArmedAmish

ArmedAmish Sherwood, OR Member

We've had a few yotes on our farm get very brazen when they come after our chickens. They come in mid-day when the chickens are free-ranging. We can run right at them and they'll look at you like "So what are you going to do???".

AR my friend, that's what...

Bryce

5. SAR1846

SAR1846 Oregon Member

Had some coyotes hang around & bother the horses/ponies at my friends ranch. Even had one come around the place when I was bbq'ing some tri-tip.

For a long time, I would just shoot over their heads, or just in front of them to scare them off. But, since my friend started bringing his daughters to the ranch, they're regulated to shoot on sight status, esp. near the ranch house.

6. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Ever eat in front of your dog? Then you feed it?
    It devours the food in a couple bites.
    When you gut an animal,you are ringing the dinner bell
    Dropping one should calm them down,or help them decide if they want to follow you.

Go read about the guy who went to pick up his elk and was forced to leave it because of the wolves.
    You may start liking the coyotes

7. Onajoyride

Onajoyride Tigard Member

I am in Tigard OR and willing to travel a little ways to any of your farms or ranches to reduce the yote populations. I have all my own gear and a can so the lil old ladys next door wont hear a thing. Feel free to call me 503-799-1218

8. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Maybe not 'aggressive' but a couple years ago a group of us were at our annual Memorial Day campout outside of Sisters near Green Ridge. Two friends and I were having a few around the fire and everyone else had already gone to bed but we three are the night owls and as we became quiet we heard rustling around in the brush no more than 15 - 20 yards outside of camp and suddenly one let out a high maniacal screech. More like a "Hey get outta my yard" screech than anything else. Personally I like their sounds. A lot of them nest just on the edge of my property in the spring and on nice nights in the early evening till late I hear them yipping and howling, probably playing with their newborn pups.

9. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

I was reading an article on Coyotes the other day while sitting at a Doctor's office - think it was Outdoor magazine - they were talking about the difference between western Coyotes and eastern coyotes - they were saying that eastern coyotes are usually much larger than western and that genetic testing has shown that they are wolf-coyote hybrids. The eastern coyotes being hybrids are not only much larger - some over 120 lbs. but they also are much more aggressive than the western "pure bred" coyotes. over the last several decades they have expanded further and further west. So far they haven't made it to the west coast - almost all of the pockets of population were east of the mississippi.

10. CreepingDeath

CreepingDeath Albany, Oregon Active Member

I to will travel! Swift, Silent, Deadly. Feel free to send a pm if there is anything I can do to help reduce the overpopulation of Canis latrans.

11. mjbskwim

This is pushing me to take up the dog hunting!!

12. daiello91

daiello91 NW Oregon Active Member

/\ That.

Coyotes are like domestic dogs in the sense when hungry they can be brazen, but are generally easy to get to run away.

13. mjbskwim

Hey look at the hunters in Alaska that learn to gut and quarter their game in minute as to GTFO before the Grizzlies come to claim their share.

14. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I was scouting the day before deer season on the ranch that I hunt on. I stopped to talk to a guy who rents part of the property for wheat farming. While he was loading his seeder I asked him if he'd seen any deer around and we got on the topic of coyotes. They are thick as fleas around the ranch and he'd seen lots. He said he'd seen two of them eating a calf as it was being born not long ago and they weren't the slightest bit concerned about him. He went home and got a rifle and by the time he got back there were 3 of them. He killed 2 of them.