JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
<broken link removed>

Clayton County, GA - Golden Retrievers possess a friendly, eager-to-please demeanor, and are the fourth most popular family dog breeds (by registration) in the United States. Boomer was a golden retriever that on Saturday morning was shot and killed by a Clayton County police officer. Police had received a complaint that there was someone selling meats from a truck on North Shore Drive. When the officer went to the street to investigate, Boomer ran towards her barking. She ordered the dog to stop, but when he didn't, she shot and killed him.

Boomer belonged to Lawrene King's teenage son, who was home at the time of the shooting. The King's yard has an electric fence, but no sign to let anyone know it was there. Boomer always barks when seeing someone and has never bitten anyone. The officer didn't take the time to find any of this out, nor did he bother to use any non-lethal methods of stopping the dog if he felt in danger. Police officers carry mace or pepper spray which is very effective in stopping dogs. What about a taser? What if there was a child with the dog?

"My neighbor saw the whole thing," King said. "He was shocked how quickly the officer pulled his gun."

Boomer died within 25 feet of his front porch.

King said she wasn't home when Boomer was shot, but three teenagers were in her house. King said she received a frantic call from her 19-year-old son Jonathan.

"Mom! He killed my dog," King said her son screamed.

The officer remains on duty.

This scares me. I have a Black Lab who goes ballistic when someone is at our door. While it can be aggravating when it is friends or family it is also comforting to know that she will give a stranger pause ... a lot of pause. Dogs, regardless of breed can be aggressive about anyone coming into their boundaries. Unless they recognize you as a member of their pack they can be adamant about letting folks know "that is close enough stranger." I would hope that most LEO's would resort to a baton, spray or even Taser before shooting.

This scares me. I have a Black Lab who goes ballistic when someone is at our door. While it can be aggravating when it is friends or family it is also comforting to know that she will give a stranger pause ... a lot of pause. Dogs, regardless of breed can be aggressive about anyone coming into their boundaries. Unless they recognize you as a member of their pack they can be adamant about letting folks know "that is close enough stranger." I would hope that most LEO's would resort to a baton, spray or even Taser before shooting.

Our loving lab is the same way, she sounds like a rottweiler from a horror movie. That is exactly why we keep the gate closed when she is out. She is calm cool and a lickmonster if she is out in public or on leash, but don't come on our property without one of us with you.

I raise coonhounds. They are hunting dogs first, but also companions. We use an electronic fence combined with chain link to keep them on our property. There's a big difference between a stranger alert and real aggression. An aggressive hound goes for a one way walk in the woods. I won't breed one and I won't sell one to a customer. So aside from being a danger to everyone around them, they are useless to me.

In my experience, citronella sprays have no effect on large dogs. Mace will probably stop just about any canine. But in the end, I have no problem with putting down a dog that threatens to bite instantly and on the spot. I have had a male bluetick that went 90 pounds and when he turned aggressive he was put down immediately. My opinion of people who own pit bulls is that they have asked for whatever they get. When you buy dogs that have been bred for fighting and protection you should expect to get aggressive behavior. No amount of after the fact denials and apologies carry any weight with me. It's like owning a handgun. You better have it under your control at all times because ultimately you are responsible for what happens.

Sorry, if the dog isn't under control and it aggressively approaches anyone, dead dog. Pet or not, the "warm fuzzies" of dog ownership are fine, but when an unrestrained/unleashed dog attacks. The dog's life is forfeit, period.

Next case.

I'm narrow minded; my self and my family have been attacked by dogs too many friggin times to objectively comment....

The latest dog-saga on the coast is another example of the abject failure on the part of the jurisdiction AND the media.

Background; an Australian Shepherd recently ends up on a coastal cliff; reported on 911 (FAIL), spotted by a drone, rescued by First Responders, and widely-celebrated by the media.

What's wring (edit: wrong) with this picture?

The owner was apparently NOT sited for FAILING to follow the g-damn leash law!

Abject Failure!

:confused:

Last Edited:
I'm narrow-minded; my self and my family have been attacked by dogs too many friggin times to objectively comment...

The latest dog-saga on the coast is another example of the abject failure on the part of the jurisdiction AND the media.

Background; an Australian Shepherd recently ends up on a coastal cliff; reported on 911 (FAIL), spotted by a drone, rescued by First Responders, and widely-celebrated by the media.

What's wrong with this picture?

The owner was apparently NOT cited for FAILING to follow the g-damn leash law!

Abject Failure!

The prosecution... rests.

The missing link in almost all of these accounts is the owner. Like others have said before, pet or not, if it is being aggressive and threatening me or my family, then I will deal with it as I see fit to mitigate the threat. It's not my or anyone else's responsibility to guess the dog's true intentions if it's charging at me in the middle of the street. Keep your dog confined, or keep it on a leash. I'm a dog owner/dog lover, but some people's attitude towards dog ownership blows my minds. It's not your right to let your dog harass and threaten people.

The missing link in almost all of these accounts is the owner. Like others have said before, pet or not, if it is being aggressive and threatening me or my family, then I will deal with it as I see fit to mitigate the threat. It's not my or anyone else's responsibility to guess the dog's true intentions if it's charging at me in the middle of the street. Keep your dog confined, or keep it on a leash. I'm a dog owner/dog lover, but some people's attitude towards dog ownership blows my minds. It's not your right to let your dog harass and threaten people.

Our society has its priorities wrong. We treat animals as if they are people. They aren't. The "peace, love, dope, Hare Krishna" crowd tend to deify animals. The undereducated and those of lower intellect still do. They are livestock, or "living property" and need to be treated as such.

We, as intellectual creatures, are held to a higher standard. Animals can and should be, eliminated if they pose a threat to human lives. We kill rats and mice because they carry disease, right? A vicious or volatile animal is as much a threat as a sensitive bomb that requires deactivation.

"Poochie" doesn't have human rights. Get over it.

Ideally, you would pepper spray it. The idea that a dog would be more aggressive after getting sprayed is ridiculous hit it in the face and it will turn heel faster than it came at you.

I would hope that if my dog were loose and being a bubblegum that the person who found it sprays him or tazes the dog before he shoots it. But I would understand if the dog was being aggressive. Much rather my pet be destroyed than have to have it destroyed and deal with a civil lawsuit and prison if it kills/hurts another person.

You caught on quickly, grasshopper! Fido isn't worth a civil suit, nor is it worth a mauled, maimed or killed child.

I worry about warning shots in general with their legality. I would NEVER describe a shot as a warning after the fact. If I missed the first shot, I would chalk it up to stress of the situation and stick to that.

Well there is also my favorite way to handle the situation, the "snowflakes" approach. Take the offending pooch to a safe spot and over a double shot low fat extra foam latte explain the virtue of a wagging tail over growling and nashing of teeth. Give the dog a big hug and go your separate ways. The dog to his loving family and you to the next confrontation down the butterfly infested sun drenched, but not too warm, lane. When you come to the fork in the road...take a left.

I was treed on top of my patrol car by a large aggressive mongrel dog after spraying it straight in the face from less than 10 ft away, the MACE didn't do more than make it angry, but it finally went away and I didn't have to shoot it.
I'm a softy, SOMETIMES just don't count on it.
Gabby

Heard shots in the neighborhood and we went to check,found a cop in a confrontation with a dog owner. The dog had come through the screen when the cop approached to check on reports of a loose aggressive animal.
Dog was Shot to the ground.

We went back to our bbq
Lets see...cop comes in unannounced, dog protects his space, cop shoots dog. Give me a freaking reason the cop draws and shoots at a Place where innocent people are most surely in residence. More info is needed

Lets see...cop comes in unannounced, dog protects his space, cop shoots dog. Give me a freaking reason the cop draws and shoots at a Place where innocent people are most surely in residence. More info is needed

Reason?
Sounds like he shot it to keep from getting bit by a out of control dog.

Not in the home. The dog came out of the house into the street after the cop, and it wasn't the 1st time . The dog had already been going after people in the neighborhood.

I'm narrow minded; my self and my family have been attacked by dogs too many friggin times to objectively comment....

What's wring (edit: wrong) with this picture?

The owner was apparently NOT sited for FAILING to follow the g-damn leash law!

Abject Failure!

There's a leash law on the beach? Is it for the libs or dogs?

There are various neighborhood bulletin boards like "Next-door." Finding the one that is most active for your neighborhood can be a good way of staying on top of things like dangerous dogs, break-ins, and other neighborhood shenanigans.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top