JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There isn't much information -- the link to the text is at the bottom of the list here: Initiatives & Referendums - Elections & Voting - WA Secretary of State

The entire text of the initiative is as follows:

No gun until 21

It is a common practice to set legal ages that require a greater level of maturity. Purchasing and possessing a firearm necessitate the same, or greater, ability to act responsibly, and data shows that young adults account for a disproportionate number of gun homicides and suicides. We believe by strengthening our minimum age laws for purchasing and possessing firearms, we will help protect our young people and the public at large from all too common tragedies.

Intent

An act to prohibit the possession or sale of firearms to persons under the age of 21; appending the verbiage in RCW 9.41.040 in all sections from "eighteen" years of age to "twenty one" years of age appending the verbiage in RCW 9.41.042 from "eighteen years" to "twenty one years".

A new section to be added to RCW 9.41.040 (9) stating "A person having been granted emancipation under RCW Title 13 chapter 13.64 would also be granted an exception and be allowed to legally purchase and possess firearms"

Annoying and badly written. If we are to append "twenty one" to "eighteen", then the statutes would read very strangely. For example, RCW 9.41.042 would look like this if we appended 21 to 18: "RCW 9.41.040(2)(a)(iii) shall not apply to any person under the age of eighteen twenty one years who is: ...."

I'm guessing this is not an organized effort and more along the lines of the guy a few initiatives up in the list who absolutely loathes people who fly fish.

When emotions drive the day. No gun, huh? Would no vote, no military service, no alcohol, no "medical weed", no abortion, no driver's license (37K killed annually) ever pass muster? I don't think even China can make enough knee braces to stop all of the jerking going on.

Just simply raise the age of majority to 21, that would cover just about everything. Why pick and choose? If you can't be trusted to own a gun, why should you be trusted to vote or sign a contract or buy a lottery ticket or......

Public Records.... this is a thought exercise / knowledge share for those that are interested in a quick bit of research.

Dropbox - Public Records.pdf

The link is to my dropbox folder with a .PDF file comprised of a ten minute web search (screen shots) to ascertain how serious this initiative might be. All of the screen shots are publicly available information and any savvy researcher can figure this out.

Not taking any any steam from the petitioner in any way shape or form just doing my own research. Practice what I preach. !!
Now we wait for the time line in the petitioning process to run it's course.

~Whitney

I just want to say that hassling the guy would be bad publicity and likely counterproductive because it would help him get publicity. This doesn't look like a serious attempt anyway, because without some serious resources getting the signatures will be impossible.

I think one major issue with this law from a legal standpoint, presuming the language gets straightened out, is the weird situation it would create for 18-20 year olds who were not emancipated and want to hunt, but don't have family, have a bad relationship with family, have family who are prohibited from having firearms, or doesn't know anyone who can loan a firearm for hunting purposes (RCW 9.41.113(4)(g)(vi)) -- this group of people won't have the opportunity to engage in hunting because there is no legal route for them to come into possession of a firearm.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top