JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would love to see this tested in court. The attempted purchase should be recorded and submitted.

Last Edited:
Is anyone here an 18-20 year old who has actually been turned away from buying a rifle or ammunition at Dick's (including Field and Stream), Walmart, Fred Meyer/Kroger, or Bi-Mart at an Oregon location? If so, I'd like to speak with you. I'm an attorney in Grants Pass, but I represent clients throughout the state of Oregon. Please message me.

And if any 18-20 year old wanted to take it upon his/herself to attempt buy a rifle or ammunition at any of these stores and is turned away, please message me I'd like to speak with you.
When I took FFL procedure training from the ATF years ago, they said that you don't have to transfer a gun to anyone you were uncomfortable with. My distrust of lawyers in general trumps any other consideration. We also need to issue hunting licenses for them as well as homeless. It would greatly improve our society.

When I took FFL procedure training from the ATF years ago, they said that you don't have to transfer a gun to anyone you were uncomfortable with. My distrust of lawyers in general trumps any other consideration. We also need to issue hunting licenses for them as well as homeless. It would greatly improve our society.

They weren't talking about discrimination based on a suspect (such as age, race, religion, etc.) -- they're talking about an individual. Some obvious meth-head walks in with face tattoos, visibly drunk, and acting angry -- that's a valid reason. Turning away everyone 18-20, or all women, or all Asians -- that's discrimination.

They weren't talking about discrimination based on a suspect (such as age, race, religion, etc.) -- they're talking about an individual. Some obvious meth-head walks in with face tattoos, visibly drunk, and acting angry -- that's a valid reason. Turning away everyone 18-20, or all women, or all Asians -- that's discrimination.
Discrimination is legal as long as it isn't applied to a protected group. 18-20 year olds are not a protected group. You are correct about race, sex, religon, and parties listed in the constitution.

Last Edited:
With Votes and draft, should come all legal adult rights whether they be upstanding or vices, good or bad.
If that isn't good enough, then the nanny crowd allowing the age to vote to be lowered to 18, and maintaining the 18 draft is just plain sick and hypocritical!!

With Votes and draft, should come all legal adult rights whether they be upstanding or vices, good or bad.
If that isn't good enough, then the nanny crowd allowing the age to vote to be lowered to 18, and maintaining the 18 draft is just plain sick and hypocritical!!
We haven't had a draft for 40(?) years? In the military you don't get to handle a gun unsupervised without extensive training that sometimes requires multiple months or years. I would have no problem raising the age to vote, drink or any other "adult" activity to 21.

Discrimination is legal as long as it isn't applied to a protected group. 18-20 year olds are not a protected group. You are correct about race, sex, religon, and parties listed in the constitution.

If sexual orientation is a protected class I would assume age is also. In Oregon age (over 18) is a protected class when it comes to hiring.

If sexual orientation is a protected class I would assume age is also. In Oregon age (over 18) is a protected class when it comes to hiring.
Off course sexual orientation has been added in some jurisdictions but not age unless you are old (again in some jurisdictions) the list of protected groups is short........all you have to do is read them. There some catch all rules (like equal protection under the law that is the basis for the LGBT rulings) but age of owning a gun would hardly fall under that......

Off course sexual orientation has been added in some jurisdictions but not age unless you are old (again in some jurisdictions) the list of protected groups is short........all you have to do is read them. There some catch all rules (like equal protection under the law that is the basis for the LGBT rulings) but age of owning a gun would hardly fall under that......

At the federal level I would agree but as we all know state by state laws and protected classes can and do very greatly. State law can offer a significant amount more protection.

Don't know, nor care about Idaho when it comes to an Oregon thread, but in our state you are 100% wrong. ORS 659A.403 - Discrimination in place of public accommodation prohibited - 2015 Oregon Revised Statutes
18-20 year olds are completely protected by state law to NOT be discriminated against because of their age.

On a side note, where do you get off saying that the homeless and lawyers need to be hunted down and killed?

We haven't had a draft for 40(?) years? In the military you don't get to handle a gun unsupervised without extensive training that sometimes requires multiple months or years. I would have no problem raising the age to vote, drink or any other "adult" activity to 21.

Nor would I, but as it stands, 18's can die for you right? As most of us did, drafted from my era, and with little choice.
I just turned 18, hadn't even graduated from High school when I got my draft notice to report on completion.
Many going in then, my friends, didn't come back.
You say we don't have a draft, Uh, you mean Now.
Anybody going to guarantee that statement for all future 18 year olds? Good luck with that.

As a relevant aside, I consider voting maturity and responsibility, with the potential it has for damage to be inflicted on ALL LIVES, to be on an infinitely higher level than individual gun ownership.
By the numbers, you have relatively few out of sorts who would do harm with a gun but millions voting for Obama and Bernie Sanders.
I believe voting rights and dying for America are inexplicably joined at the hip with all other rights of adulthood and is all, or nothing.

Don't know, nor care about Idaho when it comes to an Oregon thread, but in our state you are 100% wrong. ORS 659A.403 - Discrimination in place of public accommodation prohibited - 2015 Oregon Revised Statutes
18-20 year olds are completely protected by state law to NOT be discriminated against because of their age.

On a side note, where do you get off saying that the homeless and lawyers need to be hunted down and killed?
That training was not Idaho but California.......and the FFL rules are federal, not state specific. It was taught by the ATF.

I say it very easily........and have supported the ideas most of my life (and I noted it needs to be done legally with government permission) ......it comes from another one of the bill or rights......the first amendment. Do you really think there is a judge in Oregon that would strike down a law raising the minimum age of gun ownership to 21........they didn't when pistols were limited the same way. Young people can do many things, like join the military without parental permission after the age of 18 but we still have and enforce truancy and alcohol consumption laws until the age of 18 and 21 or a high school graduation. The act of becoming a fully vested adult is an incremental process with different abilities and rights allowed at different times. Those times have moved back and forth with little impedance since we have been a country. I doubt there will be much impedance with this law or policy whatever it becomes either. If you make too much trouble, the retailers will solve the problem by not selling guns to anyone like the largest gun outlets in the country (Sears and Wards) did after the 1968 gun law passed. Stores already have huge pressure from the left to stop selling guns, your movement could easily be enough to tip them that direction. That sounds like a great accomplishment. (or shooting everyone in the foot)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads