JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

They are all garbage in my book. OEM mags are some of the least expensive factory mags out there and the just plain work, why anyone would consider anything else, even for "range mags" is beyond me. And WTF is this "range mag" BS anyhow? Do you really want less than reliable mags for range use? I know I don't, if I want to do malfunction clearance drills that is what dummy rounds are for.
There is a couple times I have bought mags that were for "range use". The one was for an old P89 I bought just before the great Clinton ban. I bought a few USA mags that Midway was selling because they were shockingly cheap. They worked so well I bought a few more. All are VERY cheaply made but all work. Guessing this is more the pistol not the mags but still would never trust them because they feel so flimsy. Even bought a couple 20 round mags for it made by them. They are so shoddy that they are hard to seat but even they work. Again probably more the pistol. After that ban went away bought more OEM for it.
Only other time was the great panic before this last one. Bought a couple PCC's that used Glock and as happens price of the real mags was insane. So bought a few ETS, and KCI. They would not work 100% in any of the 3 rifles I had at that time and I gave them away. When that panic was over I bought a BUNCH more OEM. That is the only reason I can see to buy something I do not trust, is if the good ones are over the top pricey and people want something to play with at the range. For how well they are made Glock mags seem shockingly cheap to me considering how well they are made when there is not a panic shortage going on. I have never managed to wear one out and doubt I ever will unless I run into one factory defective.

There's a good deal on a 3-pack of OEM g17 mags
That's not a bad deal!! Used though typically go for around $15/ea so... not "fantastic" without free shipping. IMHO.

3 for 9 will get you free shipping (over $125) and 4 for 12 they added on a free otis uni. cleaning kit... if it matters. Kinda junk, but free never hurts.

I can't speak for all, but range mags, to me... are a cheaper alternative that prolong the life and maintain reliability of my OEM's. That said... my first priority is to have OEM's in the quantity I want per firearm... FIRST. Others might differ, but my number is 10ea for glonks. Beyond that, when a fantastic deal presents itself.. I'll do range mags. (Or in the case of today.. a great deal on OEM's... I'll buy more of those beyond "need" too!!)

I still cycle my OEM's at the range on occassion, but primarily it's the "range mags" that see the most cycling and drop abuse.

That said too though... I don't agree that any ol mag will do... even for range use. They should still be reliable enough to be used as backups for SD or there is simply no point in keeping them at all. IOW, keep you rolling while the OEM's are being reloaded.

That's what kids are for and it's always good to make backups. :s0140:

I am looking at purchasing some aftermarket Glock 9mm magazines for both G17 and G19 size frames. These would be for range use. Which brands do you recommend?
MagPul. Good product, and I like the way the 15-rounders fit in my G19 as opposed to the way Glock mags that came with the pistol fit. A small niggle perhaps, but big after shooting a few magazines and having the base plate of the Glock mags irritate the palm of the hand. Just sayin, YMMV

Has anybody tried the P80 glock mags?
Thread I haven't seen yet. I'm fairly new to these. Got em before the semi recent mag ban WA….
Reading through my first thoughts:

I don't recommend AMEND2 products… I use them sometimes at range but I had to modify angle of mag base plate and they hold open with one rnd still in mag.

Everything else runs as it should

KCI- I have in many rnd capacities and like well enough but don't see them lasting forever.

Magpul is nice… though no steel liner or rnd count holes in back

P80s are closer to OEM … near copy.

image.jpg image.jpg

Thread I haven't seen yet. I'm fairly new to these. Got em before the semi recent mag ban WA….
Reading through my first thoughts:

I don't recommend AMEND2 products… I use them sometimes at range but I had to modify angle of mag base plate and they hold open with one rnd still in mag.

Everything else runs as it should

KCI- I have in many rnd capacities and like well enough but don't see them lasting forever.

Magpul is nice… though no steel liner or rnd count holes in back

P80s are closer to OEM … near copy.

View attachment 1425033 View attachment 1425035
The reviewers of the p80 mags seemed to either love them or hate them. There wasn't too much middle ground. I am just looking to try some cheap mags for range use only.

The reviewers of the p80 mags seemed to either love them or hate them. There wasn't too much middle ground. I am just looking to try some cheap mags for range use only.
KCI
PMAG
P80

Will do just fine.
May I ask what you like to plink…
"Self defense" premium ammo?
Manufactured range ammo?
Reloads?
If so… cast lead?

Just curious what folks are killing paper with more.

If recently discovered cast poly for lower velocity paper killing.

KCI
PMAG
P80

Will do just fine.
May I ask what you like to plink…
"Self defense" premium ammo?
Manufactured range ammo?
Reloads?
If so… cast lead?

Just curious what folks are killing paper with more.

If recently discovered cast poly for lower velocity paper killing.

Haven't been shooting in a while but mostly fmj's. Looking to put away some mags before we can't.

Haven't been shooting in a while but mostly fmj's. Looking to put away some mags before we can't.
In that case I would buy OEM. ALL the after market get mixed results. Some work like OEM, in some guns. Some will not work worth a crap. If you can afford some OEM buy them. They will outlive you and they just work. I am not sure its possible for a normal shooter to wear one out.

They are all garbage in my book. OEM mags are some of the least expensive factory mags out there and the just plain work, why anyone would consider anything else, even for "range mags" is beyond me. And WTF is this "range mag" BS anyhow? Do you really want less than reliable mags for range use? I know I don't, if I want to do malfunction clearance drills that is what dummy rounds are for.
Dummy rounds don't produce actual malfunctions other than failure to fire. Stove pipes and feeding issues can come from garbage aftermarket mags.

The Korean mags are actually surprisingly reliable. They are good for dropping on gravel, dirt, concrete, etc. and used to be had for $10-$12

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top