JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to upgrade and outfit the ol' 10/22. What're your guys' experience with aftermarket barrels? Definitely don't need a $300+ Volquartsen and I don't care if it's stainless or not, threaded is a plus. Just looking for a good, solid bull-barrel profile barrel that won't break the bank or add an unneccasary amount of weight. I'll still be be packing it around the woods.

I picked up one of the upgraded Ruger drop in trigger assemblies a while back from Bi-Mart. They were marked down half price(god knows why I only bought one) and for the price, I have zero complaints there.

Finally, has anyone used the Magpul 10/22 stocks? For the price, I figured you can't go wrong but the feel of wood always seems to be a bit nicer. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say.

Green Mountain is your ticket. I have three done up with them and they shoot very well. I even put one on my 22 Mag.

I have stocked mine in Hogue overmolds and my Chevy Team Challenge gun is in a B&C with a custom Shilen barrel.

C1o4xEu.jpg

RUlhVhe.jpg

Greg

start with the easy stuff first:
(brownells has most of the upgrades)

replace the trigger mechanism with your choice (ruger's is reasonable)
add modified mag release
replace front sight and rear w/techsights (worth the money)
add muzzle brake
oh ya, glass the barrel down (get smithy to do it as it is more professional

tune and sight to your wonderful shooting style.

I also vote green mountain. They make some accurate barrels. Some my buddies have outshoot my factory heavy barrel, and that one is no slouch. The next one i build, is going to have a gm on it..

Looking to upgrade and outfit the ol' 10/22. What're your guys' experience with aftermarket barrels? Definitely don't need a $300+ Volquartsen and I don't care if it's stainless or not, threaded is a plus. Just looking for a good, solid bull-barrel profile barrel that won't break the bank or add an unneccasary amount of weight. I'll still be be packing it around the woods.

I picked up one of the upgraded Ruger drop in trigger assemblies a while back from Bi-Mart. They were marked down half price(god knows why I only bought one) and for the price, I have zero complaints there.

Finally, has anyone used the Magpul 10/22 stocks? For the price, I figured you can't go wrong but the feel of wood always seems to be a bit nicer. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say.

Heres how id do it:

1. Green mountain barrel.
2. Bolt release mod. Easily done.
3. Kidd bolt buffer.
4. Hogue or other aftermarket stock. Found on ebay at surprisingly affordable prices.
5. Volquartsen target hammer: $37.00 at ebay.
This is just for starters. If you get real serious, think about swapping out your bolt for a custom match grade bolt with proper headspace, radiused and recontoured, and firing pin properly pinned. Kidd and volquartsen make some nice parts.

I like iron sights and so......Ruger 10/22 Helpful Information
or
Liberty Training Rifle: How to Prepare | Project Appleseed
Download the PDF or Word Doc

Basically, for me it was......

1. Tech Sights.* I went with a TSR100
2. Green Mountain 0.920 bull barrel
3. VQ hammer kit
4. Bolt buffer
5. Home modified bolt release/hold open
6. Hogue Overmold stock
7. Sling Mounts from Uncle Mike's
8. Sling

*IF you insist on a scope. Save your money and don't buy the Tech sight. But now, you'll need a scope rail and scope.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I had a Green Mountain bull barrel on mine along with a Hogue overmold stock. I removed them and went back to the factory barrel and wood stock.

Why? It was heavy, and the rubber stock was too "grippy" for my liking, and had some failure to extract problems even with thorough cleaning. The failure to extract could have been in part due to the tighter Bentz chamber on the Green Mountain barrels.

All I know is this. With the factory barrel and wood stock, rubber bolt buffer, Brimstone Gunsmith Tier 2 trigger work and decent little scope ........ it's a great rat/pest, can and paper shooter. I got the Brimstone work before Ruger offered it's upgraded trigger group but the cost is about the same.

Mine has a Hornet Products trigger and Volquartsen barrel in a Boyds stock, topped with a Swift Premier 4-12. I was just shooting it the other day and it will shoot some small groups when i do my part and the wind is cooperating. Nice and light for hunting. I only did yellow because i hadn't seen one. I was having fun blowing the center out of the targets at 50 yards. Real gusty conditions but made the best of it. Ammo was Federal American and Champion mostly and some blazers and Winchester also. Cheap stuff. After 3-400 rounds it likes the chamber cleaned with the cheaper ammo. Good times. :)

Kidd makes some nice stuff and is priced well. BARRELS
Here's a nice one for $185. KIDD .22lr Ultr Light weight barrel for the 10/22® or Ruger® 10/22®

IMG_1910.JPG
IMG_1912.JPG
5 shots at 50 yards with Federal 38 grain HPs
IMG_1920.JPG
IMG_1915.JPG
IMG_1922.JPG

Last Edited:
I've got Feddersen barrels on both my 10/22's they out shot my gm barrel with all ammo tested.
Hogue is a good hunting stock but not the best for target shooting, Titan makes a great target stock got mostly Kidd parts sitting in mine topped with a Vortex 4x16 scope, My favorite target is a sheet of paper with 20 dimes printed on it set at 50 yrds.

Nice rifle Mrmillspecer. I've been thinking about wiping the dust off of mine and taking it to the range. 10-22's are just a lot of fun..

It's nice to shoot a few hundred rounds and not worry about cost. And it has been a while since mine was out as well. I could never blow the star out of the target at the carnival with the 100 round machine gun , but can do it from 50 yards with a 10/22. In far less rounds. Its fun just finding out what ammo it favors. I was also shooting the Buckmark pistol at 50 yards and was surprised with a 10 shot group under 3". With open sights.

It's nice to shoot a few hundred rounds and not worry about cost. And it has been a while since mine was out as well. I could never blow the star out of the target at the carnival with the 100 round machine gun , but can do it from 50 yards with a 10/22. In far less rounds. Its fun just finding out what ammo it favors. I was also shooting the Buckmark pistol at 50 yards and was surprised with a 10 shot group under 3". With open sights.

You had me laughing. That's one of my favorite games to play at the carnival. I had my youngest daughter trying to shoot the star out, last time we were there. One thing Ive found with any 22lr is ammo selection is of the utmost importance. It doesn't matter if it's the most expensive ammo on the shelf, you don't know if it's going to shoot well in your rifle until you try it. Here's how one of my 10-22's did after trying a few different types of ammo:

VxkOIip.jpg

Another 10-22 I had loved the dang 525 count federal hp's (bulk pack). I wish I still had that rifle...

My primary rat rifle has a KIDD ultra light barrel and KIDD single stage trigger. Tack driver. A buddy has the Magpul stock, I like it a bunch. Bonus that the Magpul is ambi for when your lefty friends want to shoot it.

I plan to upgrade my spare 10/22 with a WhistlePig barrel.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top