JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am about to order this book by Alan Korwin, " After You Shoot"

It covers the subject of you calling 911 right after defending yourself, out of breath and adrenaline pumping and how that call can be held against you in a court of law.

You’re gasping for air. You’ve just stopped a would-be murderer cold with your sidearm—Do you have the right to remain silent? Then why would you immediately dial 911 and talk into a police voice recorder? How do you make that call and stand on the advice that says, “Don’t say anything”?

I am intersted in your comments and experience in this situation.

Hi, there has been a shooting please send help

What is your location.......

I am at 123 Cool Rd

What is your name.......

Joe Bob

What happened......

I don't know just send help. I don't what to answer any questions or something to that effect.

I would think youd WANT to let them know you have fired, and are wherever youre at with the firearm until the popo get there...

I surely wouldt want to put the gun away till the cops showed up. Who knows if somebody ELSE is in the house, thereabouts or going to get more people... The cops knowing you have a gun would be a good idea . I would think.

Simple advice here.. retain a qualified, self defense-pro gun lawyer in advance and keep his/her card handy. If there's a shoot, call the lawyer and have him/her call 911 for you and explain what has happened with minimal info, and in fact no direct info from you that could be used against you, later

I would think youd WANT to let them know you have fired, and are wherever youre at with the firearm until the popo get there...

I surely wouldt want to put the gun away till the cops showed up. Who knows if somebody ELSE is in the house, thereabouts or going to get more people... The cops knowing you have a gun would be a good idea . I would think.

By telling them you shot you just admitted to YOU shooting on a recorded line....... Don't know if you are right or wrong, just saying. But by saying there has been a shooting they know and you have admitted nothing.........

IF you are still covering the bad guy when the cops show up EXPLICITLY follow their commands.

say as little as possible, if possible meet them outside in the open, act like you are a mute. put your gun down and raise your hands when you see them pulling up, when they ask anything, point. when you absolutely have to, give one word answers, do not eloborate. when they start to ask who,what, when, where or why,
reply "if you are questioning me I think I need legal advice"

Its amazing that people will turn to the net for one of life's most most important questions.

For the cost of a case of ammo or so, find a good defense attorney who is versed well in use of force issues, and sit down with them and go over what to do. Usually the first visit or hour is free, so use your time wisely.

The money and time spent there may well be the best you will ever spend.

not sure if you would want to seek a lawyer about shooting a person in SD before it happened. Because then they may say you had conspired to shoot someone being that you went to seek advice about what to do afterwards at an earlier date. Not sure thats a relevent arguement but it came to mind

not sure if you would want to seek a lawyer about shooting a person in SD before it happened. Because then they may say you had conspired to shoot someone being that you went to seek advice about what to do afterwards at an earlier date. Not sure thats a relevent arguement but it came to mind

How far do you take that line of thought, isn't buying a gun for self defense also conspiring? How about firearm training, surely that is because of your plan to kill someone?

Attorney client privilege holds up in court.

I am DEFINITELY open to ALL input pertaining to this issue. It interests me, as Ignorance is NOT bliss.. It gets you hurt killed or thrown away in a concrete box.

You are simply retaining legal counsel in advance. There's no proof of prior "intent" unless you provide it

Any problem with saying: "There is an injured person at my house. Please send the police and ambulance immediately. I will stay on the line but I have nothing further to say at this time." If deemed prudent by the situation secure the firearm so the police aren't more excited than they already will be.

Any problem with saying: "There is an injured person at my house. Please send the police and ambulance immediately. I will stay on the line but I have nothing further to say at this time." If deemed prudent by the situation secure the firearm so the police aren't more excited than they already will be.

I dont know that it would be wrong, anything is better then nothing. Personally I think "there has been a shooting" would bring the proper response. If you state "there is an injured person" there will also be 101 questions and will seem more out of place if you are choosing to remain silent.

Also from my standpoint as EMS I don't want to walk into an "unsafe" scene like that thinking someone has a broken leg...........

But will you or your spouse be calm and cool headed and say only that after a traumatic home invasion? This is one reason to retain counsel, because it's what they do for a living

Calm, cool and collected are probably out the window after the situation. I believe that you have just became a defendant in the world as we know it now.
It will probably land you in jail for the night, at least. Expect to spend around 10k defending yourself in court,,, and remember, everything you say will probably be recorded and used as evidence. Both defending you, and possibly prosecuting you.

If your CHL or defensive firearms training class did not cover this subject thoroughly and did not take you through actual and mental rehearsals so that your response is reflexive, and then provide advice about establishing a legal defense plan in advance then you were underserved.

If your CHL or defensive firearms training class did not cover this subject thoroughly and did not take you through actual and mental rehearsals so that your response is reflexive, and then provide advice about establishing a legal defense plan in advance then you were underserved.

What class? No classes required in this state. One less step in firearms infringement here.

How far do you take that line of thought, isn't buying a gun for self defense also conspiring? How about firearm training, surely that is because of your plan to kill someone?

Attorney client privilege holds up in court.
:s0155: As one who sleeps with an attorney on a regular basis, and has for 30 years, I can endorse all who have advised getting to know a good attorney who is conversant with self defense issues and who has actual criminal defense court experience I also, on advice from counsel, heartily endorse the "I prefer to be questioned in the presence of my attorney" crowd. The police have a duty to collect the facts. Nothing says you can't control when and where they do that. In fact your constitutional right ensure you can.

What class? No classes required in this state. One less step in firearms infringement here.

Yes, I know but he's a resident of Oregon where there is, however slight and inconsistent, a training requirement. Otherwise the search for knowledge critical to being an informed armed citizen is gleaned from opinions and speculation on the error-net.

To "Petes", I will echo the thoughts expressed by some here thus far and that is if you want true legal guidance find an attorney who specializes or at least has experience in defending armed citizens. Books can only take you so far and unless the author focusses on specific nuances of procedures, protocols and practices of Oregon law you may not get the most applicable info.

I will also add this caveat, if you immediately make a request for counsel and say absolutely nothing you'll likely end up meeting with your attorney in lock-up some hours or days later. Contemporary, effective and relevant trainers can provide you with the information to help you make decisions about what to do or not do and what to say or not to say following a deadly physical force confrontation.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top