JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't subscribe to a man-made EMP every being a threat because our controllers have too much invested in the surveillance grid.

That doesn't mean a naturally-occurring solar event is not possible.

Comet ISON passing by on Nov 8th this year may never well stir up some action.

When I read up on it I was thinking 'great!' - it isn't like the dozens of other things, inc possibly the start of WWIII isn't bad enough. It never ends, that is why you have to take this stuff with a grain of salt. We are not in control of our destiny. So screw it. What happens, happens. "Prepare" the best you can like any squirrel would do, but that is about all you can do at this point.

Just read the Forstchen book ("One Second After") too. Only took me two days I was so sucked in. Really makes you think. Even got my mother-in-law to read it while she's staying with us. Definitely worth taking some time to read if for no other reason than to get you thinking in a "what would I do in that situation" frame of mind.

Freeways, bridges, overpasses will be blocked as will city streets

Unfortunately I learned about EMP a long time ago. I think faraday cages could be helpful but I wouldn't count on them be 100%. We had shielded computers for classified info but that decades ago and I am sure things are much more secure today, unless you are connected to the internet. i do think older vehicles and new spares of electrical parts would be a good investment. My ultimate SHTF vehicle would be converting my 1963 Ford 4x4 to wood gasifier power. It worked well for the Germans during WWII. You won't win any drag races but no need for petrol.

Brutus Out

Well, don't you first of all need a vehicle that runs on points? Second, once electronic ignitions became the norm(mid-late '70's?), wouldn't those be taken out by an EMP?

I don't have a belief that any ONE disaster is going to happen. I am of the belief that many different scenarios could wreak havoc. I believe an EMP would have to be naturally occurring or done by a crazy religious group. The powers do have a lot to lose if the grid is not only disabled, but completely wrecked. We keep a couple handheld CB radios and a few other things in a small cage. I hope to have a '60's Ford pickup soon. If it goes that far, I can haul the bed and rear end with a few horses.

I am worried about the big heart attack or some disease from the GMO type foods or the no food value processed foods. EMP could happen ,stuff always happens. Some people have lives too soft to always worry about the inconsequential things. No running cars Walk and you will work with the like minded neighbors to survive.

I've read about the bicycle attacks. one thing to note is that they almost always happened in large cities, in close quarters, in broad daylight.

SHTF; I'm not moving by day. nor am I going to turn lights on my bicycle.

(also; I don't live in the big cities.)

to be honest; if SHTF up in Portland; EVERYONE is a target.....regardless of what they're on or in.

I would consider a 1.6L IDI VW diesel. No electronics required for the engine to run and you could have a mechanical gauge for oil pressure. They get 45+mpg and don't require any electronic equipment to time the injection pump. All you would need to do is buy some spare relays (glow plug timing relay, etc.) and a spare instrument panel and seal them up in aluminum foil and put them in any type of faraday cage you can come up with and you should be good after an EMP. Also, the VW IDI diesels will run on straight waste veggie oil or 100% biodiesel with the right equipment. You can also get kits to mount a 1.6L turbo diesel in a Suzuki Samurai and you have a pretty cool off road capable vehicle that will be very useful. With a fuel consumption of 45mpg and a 14 gallon tank you get a range of 630 miles and if you store 20 gallons of diesel you have a range of 1500 miles.

Unfortunately I learned about EMP a long time ago. I think faraday cages could be helpful but I wouldn't count on them be 100%. We had shielded computers for classified info but that decades ago and I am sure things are much more secure today, unless you are connected to the internet. i do think older vehicles and new spares of electrical parts would be a good investment. My ultimate SHTF vehicle would be converting my 1963 Ford 4x4 to wood gasifier power. It worked well for the Germans during WWII. You won't win any drag races but no need for petrol.

Brutus Out

No drag race wins? Why would anyone want to live without drags? LOL!!!

78 honda twinstar for getting around after emp.

You have to wonder though, all of the nuclear facilities rely on power to cool their stuff... when the circuits all crap out, and they blow through the diesel for their generators to cool things down.... What then?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top