JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I caught the tail end of this a couple of weeks ago. It is due to be repeated on the History Channel on Thursday at 7a.m. and again at 1p.m.

It is a 2 hour show focused on a family's handling of TEOTWAWKI (at least the last 40 minutes or so did). Seemed very well done. Thought some of you might want to catch it.

Yeah I saw it, is it me or has anyone else noticed the increase in the amount of such shows, Livin for the Apoalypse, Day after Disaster, Doomsday preppers, falling skies, Track me if you can, worse case scenario, the colony....

Yeah I saw it, is it me or has anyone else noticed the increase in the amount of such shows, Livin for the Apoalypse, Day after Disaster, Doomsday preppers, falling skies, Track me if you can, worse case scenario, the colony....
I have also noticed... I ask myself... are they just reflections of our communal fears or are they foreshadowing events to come?

Costco/Walmart advertizing long term storage food
Small survival stores popping up in strip malls
The importation of cheap foriegn made ammo
The proliferation of black rifles
Every firearms based discussion forum having a survival/prep sub forum

All of this is geared to MEET demand it is not creating the DEMAND. The internet has allowed people to share points of view (good, bad ,crazy, or what have you) and like minded people gather (just like Wildabeasts or Zebras do) and as they discuss others are drawn in (who because of the shared interest in firearms happen to read the subforums on firearms based discussion groups) And it snow balls.

Same as the Fall Out and Blast Shelters of the late 50's early 60's when we were all going to be Nuked any day by the Soviets. One day the neighbor decides to put a 2' thick ceiling on his swimming pool and add a blast door. Next thing you know you are calling a contractor to dig a hole in your backyard or down at the hardware store looking at new wheelbarrow.

Humans are herd animals we tend to gather in herds that have similar charactoristics. In this case it is the notion that things are headed to heck in a small government supported handbasket.

And those retailers that watch market trends are not going to miss a chance to make sure when the bubble bursts and we all end up having to pay off the credit card bills they are the ones collecting the money. Or if we were able to pay with cash that they are the ones counting it into the bank.

Now who comes out the "winner" I have no idea no one does but its a nice hobby and most the stuff we can eat or make go bang so why not.

I think you have a valid point. We are large enough in numbers these days to be a targeted Demographic.

In some ways it is good for making some useful items easier to find, but it also promotes the marketing of junk that sells because of the "survival factor" (see Gerber's Bear Grylls' Knives, etc).
Costco/Walmart advertizing long term storage food
Small survival stores popping up in strip malls
The importation of cheap foriegn made ammo
The proliferation of black rifles
Every firearms based discussion forum having a survival/prep sub forum

All of this is geared to MEET demand it is not creating the DEMAND. The internet has allowed people to share points of view (good, bad ,crazy, or what have you) and like minded people gather (just like Wildabeasts or Zebras do) and as they discuss others are drawn in (who because of the shared interest in firearms happen to read the subforums on firearms based discussion groups) And it snow balls.

Same as the Fall Out and Blast Shelters of the late 50's early 60's when we were all going to be Nuked any day by the Soviets. One day the neighbor decides to put a 2' thick ceiling on his swimming pool and add a blast door. Next thing you know you are calling a contractor to dig a hole in your backyard or down at the hardware store looking at new wheelbarrow.

Humans are herd animals we tend to gather in herds that have similar charactoristics. In this case it is the notion that things are headed to heck in a small government supported handbasket.

And those retailers that watch market trends are not going to miss a chance to make sure when the bubble bursts and we all end up having to pay off the credit card bills they are the ones collecting the money. Or if we were able to pay with cash that they are the ones counting it into the bank.

Now who comes out the "winner" I have no idea no one does but its a nice hobby and most the stuff we can eat or make go bang so why not.

Hey boats; most people are dumb and clueless When I lived in the PRK years ago they thought I was nuts because I asked all the women to have a pair of shoes they could walk home in. The Disaster folks predicted that most people would follow the freeway because that was all
they knew about a route home....

Well, I think we can learn a lot buy watching shows and movies (based on actual events) from WWII and pre-WWII Germany, people did a lot of things that just to survive. I knew an older who lived in germanay in 30' as a teenager and was around in poland and russia right WWII, She would tell me stories of what is like, to make along story short she said a lot of the movies about wheel barrows of money to buy a loaf of bread, people had to make a choice either feed themselves or their family and hold back like they had nothing from others and let others starve, or starve themselves the next week.

Just google "millions starved to death" and scan a couple of pages. It's happened many times in the past century and even in the past 20 years. Right now it is estimated that 6 million children starve to death each year in this world.

What makes us think we're so special if society breaks down?

My mother in law is Dutch and survived the war as a kid in Amsterdam. She talks about walking miles of railroad track to find bits of coal dropped by the trains to heat and cook with. they would glean potato peels and other discards from where the Germans were fed. Being rounded up in the streets and forced to watch executions still bothers her today.

Well, I think we can learn a lot buy watching shows and movies (based on actual events) from WWII and pre-WWII Germany, people did a lot of things that just to survive. I knew an older who lived in germanay in 30' as a teenager and was around in poland and russia right WWII, She would tell me stories of what is like, to make along story short she said a lot of the movies about wheel barrows of money to buy a loaf of bread, people had to make a choice either feed themselves or their family and hold back like they had nothing from others and let others starve, or starve themselves the next week.

Heck, just talk to some of the Hispanic immigrants about why people risk life and limb to come to the US. As bad as we think things are here, people still risk death to come here because they are starving at home

My mother in law is Dutch and survived the war as a kid in Amsterdam. She talks about walking miles of railroad track to find bits of coal dropped by the trains to heat and cook with. they would glean potato peels and other discards from where the Germans were fed. Being rounded up in the streets and forced to watch executions still bothers her today.

Yeah it is something to know someone and get first hand stories about what went on Europe during the 30's and 40's, especially after I had spent two years over there in the early 80's. My dad was born in 1929 West Virginia and Mom in 1932 Virginia, they and my grand parents told lots of things years ago. and said that one day it would here again but it would be even worse, because everyone would become dependant on the grocery stores, power company and all the other modern conveinces and when it happened this country be a real mess, not many people even know how to get grass to grow, how are they going to get a garden to to spit up anything but rocks and weeds

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top