JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If it was me a dangerous game rifle that I plannd on using would not have a scope It would have a peep sight with a ivory front post. When something is bent on trying to stomp you at close range the fewer things that can go wrong the better. Scopes do not belong on big bore stopping rifles.

If it was me a dangerous game rifle that I plannd on using would not have a scope It would have a peep sight with a ivory front post. When something is bent on trying to stomp you at close range the fewer things that can go wrong the better. Scopes do not belong on big bore stopping rifles.
If the gun is to be used for "stopping", my opinion is that you're right.
The Ruger Hawkeye African I had sported a great set of sights, almost like JRuby described. Big ol' white dot front with an open, v notch rear that had an white line indicator. I believe the Ruger engineers were on the money with this choice.

Yeah, I scoped that rifle because it was capable of much more, but it would only have taken a coin to dismount the Ruger rings and scope.

I hunt with a 9.3x62. In no way a stopping rifle that I think highly off. I scoped it as well. In some countries its large enough to hunt the big five. It is no stopping rifle it is a hunting rifle. Big difference.
To me a stopping rifle doesnt start til you hit 40 cal and about 80 grains of powder and close to 400 grains of lead for dangetous game.

Ruger M77 in 375 Ruger. 20'' barrel Hogue sock glass Nikon pro Staff 5 3.5-14x40 with custom elevation turret from 100 to 500 yards. That's gun push Hornady 270 gr SP-RP 2740 fps.
image.jpg_thumb.jpg

This gun is for sale.

Nice rifle without question but not a dedicated stopping rifle. A stopping rifle is typically used inside one hundred yards where it maybe you or it that survives.

Should have gone with the 45-120 or the 45-140. Maybe a 50-110?

Having no intention of ever going to Africa to spend my very hard earned money (sounds cool to dreamers like me though) I've found the .45-70 to be pure poison on everything that's been on the recieving end of the old girl and wouldn't balk at it for more than this country offers, especially with the loads produced today.

Besides that, she's a beautiful old girl and nicely compliments the stainless lever action in the same caliber she sleeps with in the safe. One should look at the potential of the modern 45-70 loads before it is dismissed out right

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top