JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I participated in a service rifle match with a loaned M1 Garand for fun a few months ago. Now I'm looking to return and run my AR-15. The only thing I'm having issues with is finding a decent sling that can 'loop', but not looking for anything expensive. Just simple web sling would do me just fine. I've heard just go with the old USGI canvas style, but looking for opinions. I'd love links to products too if remmended.

That said, any ideas on using QD mounts for this sling? The stock has a QD hole ready, and have mlok on the stock (thinking I should put a QD mount there too). Haven't really used a sling on an AR yet, so this is new territory.

Ideally it's just me being cheap, but something in the $20 or less range, i'd go up to $30 if you made a case for the sling. Ideally just something that's not plastic clasps and crappy. I'd rather not drop the rifle someday.

Plenty of choices for a GI style web sling on eBay (some with free shipping) or buy one directly from www.AmmoGarand.com

Then.....
There is also the leather syle reproduction of the old M1903 (or M1907, M1917) style of sling. They don't always have to cost an arm and leg. Look around.

Aloha, Mark

PS....The slings mentioned above work with the standard style of sling loops. Adaptation/modifications might be needed if your rifle does not have the "standard style" of sling loops.

I get mine 1.25" wide. Beware of those offering 1" wide slings. That is, unless you really want that.

Last Edited:
I used to run one of these on my Colt HBAR for 600m matches:

I started with one of those cotton GI slings. It stretched like hell, switched to the leather one above.

Here is a excellent video on the subject from Konrad, Konrad YouTube sling video

High power has pretty hard use on a sling. If going leather, buy a sling from a manufacture recommended by high power shooters. Other leather slings will stretch, are too short, oblong frog holes and pull keeper thread before a season of matches are over. A leather sling will cost you $50-$80.

Fields slings are made locally and sold at matches. I would consider this the cheapest option. I have about two seasons on mine and it is about ready to get retired to light duty. Fields Sling at Creedmoor

If just starting out, buy the web sling and use a sharpie to mark it for the adjustment lengths you determine will work. I like the original USGI slings better than the reproductions ammogarand sells. The originals have a thinner webbing and metal and seem to work easier.

Estacada has a match tomorrow and later in the month. Stop by and talk to the shooters if not shooting the match. If you have not already attended High Power training, OSSA has their calendar posted and the Douglas Ridge classes and matches are on it. Those guys do a good job going over what you need to be successful starting.

Another good source of information will be the Civilian Marksmanship Rifle and Pistol Marksmanship Training in May at Estacada and Douglas Ridge. The CMP and Army Marksmanship Team will be teaching. Information can be found here, CMP Marksmanship 101

As far as attaching your sling, HP rules require attachment at a certain location on the hand guard. The rear is a little flexible but it has to be attached in parade configuration for offhand even though you don't use it. Also there is restrictions on when and how you can put your sling on before your relay is called to the line. I use a standard configuration and put it on after getting called to the line, so those restrictions do not apply and I don't remember the details.

GI web sling to get started, then move to leather if needed. I run a Les Tam, Ron Brown, and a Fields sling for different rifles. I will be at the Estacada match tomorrow, it should be great weather for a match!! Lots of good folks will be there who can help with equipment options. The "Fields Memorial Match" is held in April at Douglas Ridge, and if God willing, Betty will be there to sell you an excellent sling. No QD attachments for CMP service rifle matches, but NRA "Match Rifles" can be customized all you want.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the m1 web sling is the starter, and if I go more heavy into it, I'll look at brand leather.

Some mentioned a match in estacada this weekend? The estacada rod and gun club, Douglas ridge, or somewhere else?

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the m1 web sling is the starter, and if I go more heavy into it, I'll look at brand leather.

Some mentioned a match in estacada this weekend? The estacada rod and gun club, Douglas ridge, or somewhere else?
Tomorrow at Estacada Rod and Gun Club. Registration usually at 8 am and match starts at 9am.

4.4.3 Sling Attachment
Slings must be attached directly to the front sling swivel; a sling hook may not
be used to attach a M1907 pattern or M1 sling to the front sling swivel. Quick
detachable sling swivels are permitted on the handguard/fore-end and/or
butt-stock.

According to the rule book QD swivels are allowed.

I've had good luck with the webslings both natural and synthetic but nothing works quite as well as the thick leather 1907 style (not the thin leather stuff commonly sold at big-box stores).

Turner slings is a great brand but expensive. It'll last you a life-time, unless you intend on using it as a strap to sharpen a barbers razor.

The price range you are looking to stay within would actually enable your buying two of the M1 style; so why not get one made of natural material and another of man-made and then after trying them this summer give us all report on your findings. Always good to get a new perspective.

I run surplus GI A2 slings on both of my M4 pattern AR's. I use QD swivels. They work just fine. Unlike those fancy bungee slings, you can use the surplus A2 slings as a tourniquet if needed. If I'm feeling a bit randy and want luxury and comfort, I'll use my old M-60 padded sling. Now that's living.

@cigars, Where do you pick up surplus GI? Just surplus stores? Checked and didn't see any. Amazon is like $22 for just m1 usgi cotton sling. My local match has some for $15 which I'll get soon.
Last ones I got were.
@cigars, Where do you pick up surplus GI? Just surplus stores? Checked and didn't see any. Amazon is like $22 for just m1 usgi cotton sling. My local match has some for $15 which I'll get soon.
The last bunch I got from a surplus store online but they are out of stock. I paid 7 bucks per, brand new in package. I use them for other bags I have as well as rifles. I did a quick check on ebay and there's a bunch out there. Amazon is likely over priced.

You might want to look at the 1907 military slings made by AE Nelson Leather down in Scio, Oregon. Family run business, superb craftsmanship
top quality leather. Been buying slings from they for many years, never been disappointed. www.nelsonleather.com. Don't buy cheap crap, it never pays in the long run.

You might want to look at the 1907 military slings made by AE Nelson Leather down in Scio, Oregon. Family run business, superb craftsmanship
top quality leather. Been buying slings from they for many years, never been disappointed. www.nelsonleather.com. Don't buy cheap crap, it never pays in the long run.
I was an armorer in the Cav. The USGI black slings are durable and dependable. The only ones I ever had to replace were ones that had been through countless Reforgers, gunneries and field ops. I would say they can take a beating. Uncle Sam set a standard for them and that seemed to be good enough to take the abuse from the troops. Nothing wrong with leather slings though, I'm just not inclined to spend the money. I do still have and use my issue leather shoulder holster from 30+ years ago.

I was an armorer in the Cav. The USGI black slings are durable and dependable. The only ones I ever had to replace were ones that had been through countless Reforgers, gunneries and field ops. I would say they can take a beating. Uncle Sam set a standard for them and that seemed to be good enough to take the abuse from the troops. Nothing wrong with leather slings though, I'm just not inclined to spend the money. I do still have and use my issue leather shoulder holster from 30+ years ago.
And I very much agree with this. USGI, Navy, M-14, M-16, all different names for the same sling.

Earlier ones were woven cotton, later ones were woven Nylon. To look at them they were identical.

I used them, Vietnam and Cold War eras. Very effective as a shooting sling as well as a carry sling. And very quickly adjustable.

And never was stretching an issue.

I have a few, still new, as we speak.

P1040169.JPG

I just checked where I've bought mine. Surprise-Surprise... They ain't cheap any more.:confused:

Last Edited:
I certainly did not mean to imply that anything other than leather is no good. What I was trying to convey is, no matter what what you buy purchase the highest quality you can afford.

What you will find with most service rifle shooters is a fixed front sling swivel, that is part of the free float tube under the handguard. White Oak Arms sells the free float tube with the swivel attached. It allows for a tight sling witout tension on the barrel. It is personal preference, but I would find it uncomfortable to mount the sling swivel on the side of the handguard, especially without a free float tube.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top