JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These are all great replies, many are tempting to go over my pricepoint but Ive got several bookmarks to go over.

Way over budget but scope and mount with free shipping for now .https://palmettostatearmory.com/vortex-strike-eagle-1-6x24-gen2-riflescope-w-ar-bdc3-reticle-vortex-sport-cantilever-30mm-ring-mount-2-offset.html

Last Edited:
It's a tad higher than you wanted to pay...
Leupold VX Freedom AR 3-9 x 40. I found a smoking deal a few months ago for under 200 bucks.
Lifetime warranty. Made in Oregon.

Nikon P-223 3x32 scope is on sale at Natchezss.com for $89.49. I have two and like them a lot. The clarity is great, no color fringing or distortion. Adjustments are precise and repeatable. The size and magnification is perfect for field use with an AR carbine. Mount them with a high rise ring set for $75 or so from Brownells or Midway and you're good to go.

Im used to 1/4" and am wondering what the accuracy would be out longer distances like 200yds with a 1/2" click adjustment?

Say your gun had perfect accuracy, all bullets going into one hole. With 1/2" (or 1/2 MOA) scope adjustment, at 100 yards, you will be able to dial the scope in so that the max error is 1/4", and the minimum error is zero. At 200 yards, just double that - the max error will be 1/2", and the min error is still zero. Being 1/2" off is not very much.

One added benefit is that with 1/2" adjustment, it MAY take fewer clicks to adjust for a long range target, and fewer full revolutions of the turret.

Nikon P-223 3x32

I like this scope too; however I wonder if 3x is too much power for really short range shooting, such as home defense.

Say your gun had perfect accuracy, all bullets going into one hole. With 1/2" (or 1/2 MOA) scope adjustment, at 100 yards, you will be able to dial the scope in so that the max error is 1/4", and the minimum error is zero. At 200 yards, just double that - the max error will be 1/2", and the min error is still zero. Being 1/2" off is not very much.

One added benefit is that with 1/2" adjustment, it MAY take fewer clicks to adjust for a long range target, and fewer full revolutions of the turret.

I like this scope too; however I wonder if 3x is too much power for really short range shooting, such as home defense.

If all things are equal, and the rifle was a perfect tack driver.... The most I could be off is 1/4inch at 100yds.... Which is 1in at 400yds.
Thats probably way more precision than I am capable, my guess is 1 half MOA dial is fine.

Ideally I want a variable scope starting at 1x for close range.

I'd buy something used of higher quality before I bought new junk. Hard to go wrong with used Leupold, Burris, etc. as they're covered by a lifetime warranty. Vortex has some nice scopes, but they also make some crap.

Last Edited:
I have this one on my AR. It is an awesome scope. Spend a little extra and get something you will truly enjoy using. Get a set of good rings, and don't look back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads