JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was pumped to see it mentioned 40 S&W too, but on the chat line they said 40 S&W will not be available 'At this time'. I already have two AR-9's, a Angstadt and a PSA. The Aero looks better, but mine works, I want a better caliber.

From their FAQ:
"

Do I need a gas block and gas tube for my EPC?
No, the Aero Precision EPC operates on a straight blowback system and does not require a gas block and gas tube as traditionally found in other AR15s.

Is my EPC-9 compatible with AR-9 parts from other manufacturers?
It depends, we recommend using all Aero Precision parts in your EPC to avoid potential compatibility issues, but the EPC is compatible with a variety of different parts.

What calibers can my EPC-9 receiver set accept?
The EPC-9 receivers are compatible with 9mm and 40S&W.

What magazines are compatible with the EPC-9 lower receivers?
The EPC-9 Lower Receiver is compatible with standard frame GLOCK G17/G19 pattern magazines.

What handguards are compatible with the EPC-9?
The EPC-9 accepts most AR15 barrel nut/handguard combos that are compatible with milspec upper receivers.

Will the EPC-9 accept 10mm/45 parts?
No, the EPC-9 is caliber specific and is only compatible with 9mm/40 parts and components. 10mm/45 parts and components will be launching in the future.

What does EPC stand for?
EPC stands for Enhanced Pistol Caliber.

Can I shoot my EPC suppressed?
Yes, you can, so long as your suppressor is rated for the caliber you intend to shoot, and you do not use a Nielsen Device/booster assembly as the EPC uses a fixed barrel.

What is the recommended buffer weight for the EPC?
7.7oz

How does the EPC function?
The EPC utilizes a direct blowback system, which directly uses the kinetic energy generated from the discharge of the cartridge, to push the bolt back and cycle the action.

What is a last round bolt hold open?
A last round bolt hold open, a feature built into the EPC upper receiver, allows the bolt to be locked open on an empty magazine.

What makes Aero Precision's EPC lower parts kits special?
Aside from not including parts already installed on the lower receiver, each EPC lower parts kit that incudes a fire control group, utilizes hardened trigger pins to meet the high demands of blowback AR platforms.

What muzzle devices will work on my EPC 9mm barrel?
The larger bore diameter of the 9mm requires a 9mm specific muzzle device that allows proper clearance for the projectile. You will also need ensure the muzzle device is the appropriate thread pitch for your specific 9mm barrel (all Aero Precision 9mm barrels use 1/2x28 threads)."

I'm a fan ofAero, but I'm seeing anything ground breaking with the EPC-9. It looks be a solid choice if one was wanting buy a factory built PCC vs putting one together yourself.

I went the factory route the 1st time. My next one I put together myself, to my specs and preferences (optimized for speed steel matches). Both have their pros and cons. At any rate, I love me some PCC! Of course YMMV. :)

Wonder if they will offer 16" barreled uppers for 9mm..

I'm thinking this will more or less be a "paper launch" though and they will sell out within seconds.

yeah, I was disappointed it was another blowback 9mm PCC. For the asking price, there's really nothing here that can't be had for $2-300 less. Missed opportunity really.

yeah, I was disappointed it was another blowback 9mm PCC. For the asking price, there's really nothing here that can't be had for $2-300 less. Missed opportunity really.
Really, there aren't much you can do to get it gas operated given the small charges involved :rolleyes: CMMG Radial blowback system seems to be it. Sure one could try toggle action like the Luger/Borschardt(spelling?) but it ain't effecient. Recoil operation might be interesting with a moving barrel and a concentric spring delay but accuracy may suffer. Tilting barrel basically the same; a 16" tilting barrel may not be accurate at all.
Cam lock delay, be interesting. Roller delay, that's H&K's and they'd likely send a C&D letter :rolleyes:
Hi Point's straight, massive pot metal delay blowback works... ugly and heavy but it works :rolleyes:
Uzi style open bolt concentric blowback gives the ATF fits because of "ease of conversion to illegal FA" :rolleyes: (And why Semiauto Uzis are closed bolt)

Tilting bolt might be interesting, FN FAL and SKS operates on a similar principle but with a gas piston/rod system.

:rolleyes: I didn't say nothing just not much :rolleyes:

Edit. Anyways. One could also do a Double Action revolver style hammer/firing system in a magazine fed pistol carbine?
The guys at the Franklin Armory did something like that. I don't think it ever made it anywhere though. If it did, it would likely have a starting msrp of $3000.

I feel like the direct blow back bolt could be shortened and a buffer spring or dual buffer system added internally eliminating the need for a buffer tube on 9mm models. But gun companies are mostly lazy, and usually just slightly modify an already existing design in hopes it works better. Basically a larger version of the Glock springs in the front of the slide but added behind the shortened bolt. But I'm sure that would take manufacturing and R&D to get right. But then could also be an upgrade for every 9mm AR out currently.
I didn't expect Aero to make something game changing but I figured they would have made more of an effort to make it their own PCC. They are tooled up and what would a little machine time and R&D been to better the direct blow back design, but they ran with the same design other companies already produce, playing it safe and a day late dollar short. Could have came out when PSA released their version and been a more competitive market.

And most of the parts do not match or are interchangeable like they indicate, yes grips, safeties and fire controls work but receivers, BCG's, do not always work well with other makes

I have Angstadt with Angstadt, PSA with PSA the magazine release's and ejectors are way different (PSA quite rugged, Angstadt noticeably more 'refined')

All that said, if you do not already have a AR-9 the Aero looks like a good choice.

Let me know when the 40 parts show up.

If someone could offer a 10mm,
45 acp and 9mm carbine that competes directly with the Hi Point carbines, and uses AR ergonomics and parts...and is priced lower than a budget entry level 5.56 16" carbine... you bet your butt that they'll see an enormous demand for it!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top