JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently pulled the trigger on an Aero Precision FDE M5 stripped lower- I have been trying to find one for months, so I was very happy to find it relatively close by in AZ. I have a few reasons for going the build route instead of ordering one direct from Aero Precision- but the big reason is the anti- 2A attitude the California state government has toward semi-auto sport rifles, and how much more difficult it is get one of these rifles into the state in 2017. In any case, my stripped lower is headed to my LGS, and it should be here soon.

My question for the Aero Precision M5 owners is "what barrel are you running, and why did you choose it?". I hear good things about the Ballistic Advantage barrels, but the 20" 416 stainless barrels will bring a 55 oz weight with them- do they make a lighter, fluted version of this barrel? Thanks for your replies.

Geno
16142820_1381928605193213_1391534478915089152_n.jpg

I own 5 of them, other than a current battle with Aero over a hand guard not fitting (Aero guard on Aero enhanced upper) I have been happy with all of them.

One has a Areo barrel, two have Rainer Arms barrels and two have Faxon barrels.

Honestly the one that is the most fun has the light profile Faxon 16" on it. Oddly it's was also the least expensive of the bunch to build.

I have a couple of those receivers.
Have not built them yet.
I think that for a decent barrel, you are going to be at about 3-1/2 pounds.
I'm going to use a 22" Creedmoor on mine, which I think is the perfect length for the large frame AR.
Here is a link to Rainier Arms that opens to their 6.5 Creedmoor barrel page.
Toggle around to the different pages and get an idea of what you want will weigh.
6.5 Creedmoor Barrels

RA is a 5 star online retailer that does not carry any junk.
Their prices are honest and their shipping is lightning fast.

Also certain small parts do not play well with the M5.
I suggest reading all the M5 Build threads that you can find.
Here is the first one that started shortly after the M5 receivers were released...
Aero Precision M5 Build - Lessons Learned - Page 1 - AR15.COM

Good luck with the build !

That is good advice. I have kind of nailed down what I like.

A couple of points.

Use Aero take down pins, standard DPMS .308 ones are not quite long enough.

I use a Armalite AR10 mag catch with a Seekins button

I also use a Armalite AR10B bolt catch.

I have found even using Aeros bolt, buffer and spring that the bolt will travel into the receiver at the extension boss. You can keep it from crashing by putting 2-3 quarters in the bottom of the buffer tube. Just check to make sure the bolt goes back passed the bolt catch with the quarters in place, if not pull one out.

Pretty much everything else is just parts ;-)

Have fun!

Last Edited:
If you are picky and it seems sketchy to "fix" it with $.75 cents in spare change I found the Slashes heavy buffer with matching spring solves the problem (but is a lot more expensive than three quarters)

LOL, I'll readily pull the change out from my lint filled receptors. Then again, I'll make a slug out of aluminum with dbl stick tape to drop in.
On another note, I'm glad this topic came to light. The input, I will like.

@slimer13
What benefit does 3 groove give over 1/11-5R?
I'm still sitting in the back of the research class

Last Edited:
LOL, I'll readily pull the change out from my lint filled receptors. Then again, I'll make a slug out of aluminum with dbl stick tape to drop in.
On another note, I'm glad this topic came to light. The input, I will like.

@slimer13
What benefit does 3 groove give over 1/11-5R?
I'm still sitting in the back of the research class

Honestly, I didn't know and had to look at theirs FAQs. Apparently it extends barrel life in the hotter cartridges which are traditionally barrel burners.

I've only started to do my research into the parts I will use on my build- to keep things simple, I'm going with the Aero Precision Gen 2 upper with the matching 15" Keymod receiver. I'm trying to keep costs down- I'll be using the AP LPK, but have a Magpul MOE+ grip waiting to go on the lower, no fancy trigger kit for now. I'm also using the AP buffer tube kit- I'll try the quarter trick if it works. I'm also looking at using a magpul STR stock.

Barrel choices for me (so far) are the Ballistic Advantage 20" 416 stainless barrel, or the Faxon fluted 20" stainless barrel w/ QPQ coating. I'm looking at the Aero Precision Ni-Boron BCG- if anyone has any feedback on this BCG in the M5E1 upper I would appreciate it. I'm also looking at using AP's ambidextrous charging handle- I have no preference to brand, so if there are any pros/cons with this CH I'd like to hear about it too. I still need to select a gas block and gas tube as well. So far my parts list has my build at around $1400- not bad considering the parts chosen. Of course a scope and mount will push the build into the $2k range- I may move the Vortex Viper HS 4-16x 44 onto this rifle as well. Opinions on my parts list so far are welcomed- thanks for your input.

Geno

16442722_1382591351793605_871599982_o.jpg

I don't like the Aero charging handle. I have one and prefer the Raptor hands down.

I have all theee of the Aero BCG (phosphate, Nitride and Nickel Boron). All seem great, just a matter of dough.

I have a couple of those receivers.
Have not built them yet.
I think that for a decent barrel, you are going to be at about 3-1/2 pounds.
I'm going to use a 22" Creedmoor on mine, which I think is the perfect length for the large frame AR.
Here is a link to Rainier Arms that opens to their 6.5 Creedmoor barrel page.
Toggle around to the different pages and get an idea of what you want will weigh.
6.5 Creedmoor Barrels

RA is a 5 star online retailer that does not carry any junk.
Their prices are honest and their shipping is lightning fast.

Also certain small parts do not play well with the M5.
I suggest reading all the M5 Build threads that you can find.
Here is the first one that started shortly after the M5 receivers were released...
Aero Precision M5 Build - Lessons Learned - Page 1 - AR15.COM

Good luck with the build !

I'm curious if the AP BCG issue has been resolved- I will definitely hold off on buying an expensive Ni-Boron BCG until I can find a post that states that it works just fine with the BA or Faxon 20" stainless barrels. $220+ is just too much to invest in a BCG, only to have it FTF in the same brand upper. I also need to get the headspacing gauges- anyone do this on their M5E1 build already?

Geno

Here's my M5E1 as completed- I'm planning to upgrade the stock AP M5 trigger group with a Rise Armament RA-140 SST. I have a range report on my build thread.

Geno
View attachment 367947
Would be great to see the complete parts list since these can be finicky about which parts work.
In particular:

Takedown/pivot pins
Bolt catch
Magazine catch
BCG

Thanks in advance

Would be great to see the complete parts list since these can be finicky about which parts work.
In particular:

Takedown/pivot pins
Bolt catch
Magazine catch
BCG

Thanks in advance
My build was mostly all Aero Precision- I used the M5 LPK to avoid any issues with the takedown pins (and you will have them if you try to use anything else on an M5). Bolt and magazine catch were also AP- worked with no issues. BCG is the AP black Nitride unit- well oiled, but not over oiled. Charging handle is a Radian Raptor.

Hope this helps,
Geno
5-1-17_ build time.jpg

Love that muzzle brake!!! Great looking gun! How does it shoot?

The muzzle brake is a VG6- works very nice. I'm pulling shots to the right because of the high pull required from the milspec trigger group- I have a Rise Armament RA-140 coming to replace the stock trigger. Even despite this issue and lack of more precise control, I can offset my aimpoint and get tight 1.5"-2" groups at 100-200 yds. I'm betting once the new trigger is in, those groups will be on target. Right now the rifle is capable of more accuracy than I can produce with it as is.

Geno

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top