JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just submitted my paperwork for my first suppressor and picked up an Aero M5 lower to build while I wait. Upon some research it seems a bit harder to find a "rifle" build kit for it as it is a DPMS "high" design. There is very little absolute info out there on this. Does anyone know who sells a kit that is compatible with this lower? Like what PSA does (I've heard they use a modified DPMS "low" design. Please steer me in the correct direction before I spend money on the wrong kit.

It is a DPMS "High" upper receiver that Areo makes. You can also mate a different brand of manufacture upper receiver that is DPMS "Low". Those 2 terms refer to the height of the Picatinney rail above the center line of the rifle bore. The DPMS profile is the the more popular of the lower receivers, and refers to the shape of the rear of the receivers where they mate together. The DPMS is curved just like a mil-spec AR15 lower, while a Armalite style is a couple of different angled cuts.

It is a DPMS "High" upper receiver that Areo makes. You can also mate a different brand of manufacture upper receiver that is DPMS "Low". Those 2 terms refer to the height of the Picatinney rail above the center line of the rifle bore. The DPMS profile is the the more popular of the lower receivers, and refers to the shape of the rear of the receivers where they mate together. The DPMS is curved just like a mil-spec AR15 lower, while a Armalite style is a couple of different angled cuts.

Ok, that helps. I read about clearance issues with charging handle as well as the buffer tube threads.

Here is a visual of exactly what @waglockfan said

DE85D547-366B-4EC6-BAB4-E56D515EF904.jpeg

There can be issues with some brands when they are mixed. Stay with a "high" handguard if you get a "high" upper receiver. Aero precision makes decent stuff. Their M5 handguards are pretty nice. The enhanced handguards fit their enhanced upper receiver, or the regular receiver with the use of a special adapter nut. SLR and Odin Works make high and low spec handguards that alsowork very well.

So, being I only have a lower at this point then I can go with a high or low upper? As long as I get the correct height handguards? I was under the impression that I must use a "high" upper with this lower. I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly, LOL. Are there any known build kits that will work with this lower?

I believe Noreen Firearms makes a DPMS pattern upper receiver without the provision for the Forward Assist like what is shown in the photo on the Armalite pattern lower receiver.

You'll have to decide what handguard you want as well as the receiver. If you like a "high" handguard" and there is no version offered in "low" you will need to get a high receiver.
Many people here have used Aero receivers with zero problems over the years.
As far as an upper kit...the sky is the limit. See what your local gunshop may be able to get for you in terms of a handguard + receiver combo. Then pick a barrel, gas system parts, bolt group, charging handle, and the muzzle device that will accept your can.
Be cautious as to the mounting system you can uses. You will need to leave some clearance between the end of the handguard and the mount for the can....if your handguard covers it up, you may not be able to attach your can unless the handguard has a inner diameter large enough for the can to fit inside of.

You'll have to decide what handguard you want as well as the receiver. If you like a "high" handguard" and there is no version offered in "low" you will need to get a high receiver.
Many people here have used Aero receivers with zero problems over the years.
As far as an upper kit...the sky is the limit. See what your local gunshop may be able to get for you in terms of a handguard + receiver combo. Then pick a barrel, gas system parts, bolt group, charging handle, and the muzzle device that will accept your can.
Be cautious as to the mounting system you can uses. You will need to leave some clearance between the end of the handguard and the mount for the can....if your handguard covers it up, you may not be able to attach your can unless the handguard has a inner diameter large enough for the can to fit inside of.
I think this answers my question, it's just that most sights don't list what pattern or if it's a low or high. Most kits seem to be patterned with DPMS and I was confused about compatibility with any upper.

That is the issue many find with .308 AR builds. Their is no mil-spec measurement standard. The basic idea of it all is for the ability of the lower to be able to accept AR15 triggers and safety assemblies. The magazine catch is longer in order to make up for the wider magazine well. The bolt catch is physically larger, and the front and rear pins are slightly longer as well.

The uppers have their high and their low profiles. Manufacturers have sort of settled on those 2 variations and do what they can to make the parts that people want to use.

That is the issue many find with .308 AR builds. Their is no mil-spec measurement standard. The basic idea of it all is for the ability of the lower to be able to accept AR15 triggers and safety assemblies. The magazine catch is longer in order to make up for the wider magazine well. The bolt catch is physically larger, and the front and rear pins are slightly longer as well.

The uppers have their high and their low profiles. Manufacturers have sort of settled on those 2 variations and do what they can to make the parts that people want to use.
Perfect! I'm on their (Aero) site right now ordering an enhanced upper as well as a handguard. I'll grab a barrel, BCG, and other stuff needed soon. They sold me a LPK when I bought the lower so I'm just a few parts away from assembly in the near future!

Perfect! I'm on their (Aero) site right now ordering an enhanced upper as well as a handguard. I'll grab a barrel, BCG, and other stuff needed soon. They sold me a LPK when I bought the lower so I'm just a few parts away from assembly in the near future!

You are definitely in good hands with Areo! They make an excellent product and they are vocal supporters of 2a here in Tacoma

Cool. I have come to enjoy the Aero Atlas R-One M5 handguards. Pretty sleek and strong design, and they are a local company I do not mind supporting. I have also used their Atlas handguards on regular AR15 builds as well. Good stuff.

Cool. I have come to enjoy the Aero Atlas R-One M5 handguards. Pretty sleek and strong design, and they are a local company I do not mind supporting. I have also used their Atlas handguards on regular AR15 builds as well. Good stuff.
Glad to hear that, I picked up a new Aero AR15 lower as well at the same time for a 300blk build for the new "muffler".

Get your LPK parts kit, specific to their M5E platform from Aero also, if you haven't already. Had an "AR10" LPK which appeared more like an AR15 one, relabeled as an AR10. It didna work. Got an Areo one too, and was done with it.
A nice tirgger pack like CMC is money well spent.
I went through two "DPMS AR10" collapsible buffer tubes and one fixed buffer tube before getting it right. Wasn't a problem 'cuz I put those on other builds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top