JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an AP m5 lower and just raised I have the lower parts kit also.

So I figured I would start building, but need a buffer tube etc.

I think I would either build it as a 308 or 6.5cm.

I would probably be looking at a 16 or 18 inch barrel, not going super long precision at this point.

I have built a couple ARs.

My questions.

Are parts basically the same as AR15? Triggers, safety selectors, castle nuts and end plates?

Carbine length or rifle?

What else should I know?

Buffer spring and buffer? I really like my Geissele super 42's on my AR15s.

Thanks

Lots of good resources in the forum here. Please look at these two threads:

Here's some of my experiences and opinions.
Be careful when using terms describing platforms. Armalite AR10 and DPMS (AR308,LR-308,etc) are not generally interchangeable. Some parts will crossover, some not. Even some vendors incorrectly mix terms. As linked above, Wing has a pretty good chart, including which AR15 parts will work.
Use the same manufacturer for your lower and upper. I have been able to use Aero lowers with other uppers, but there's no guaranties for fit, finish or function. There are combinations that absolutely will not work.
The gas and action system work hand in hand and can be challenging. Things like adjustable gas block are not required but do widen your build parameters. Rifle length receiver extensions are easier to configure and more forgiving than carbine length REs, but either are usable with the correct action spring and buffer length/weight.
As far as your particular build, you may have to narrow your choices to get any useful information. I would not consider a 6.5 Creedmoor with a barrel length of less than 20". I prefer 18" for my .308 Win but feel that a 16"or 20" are fine depending on intended use. My .358 Win is well suited with a 16" barrel. Fixed or adjustable stock is determined by my intended use.
I'd be happy so share some of my build specifics if it would be of any help. Good luck!

My questions.

Are parts basically the same as AR15? Triggers, safety selectors, castle nuts and end plates?
Parts listed yes

Carbine length or rifle?
Depends on type of buffer you want, or what type of Stock.

What else should I know?
LOTS, research is your friend. DPMS pattern or AR10 Pattern, or DPMS Gen2

Buffer spring and buffer? I really like my Geissele super 42's on my AR15s.
There are several ways to setup a 308.
I setup mine using a Valtor A5 extension with 308 Rifle spring and a AR15 8 OZ buffer. Shoots so smooth.

Thanks

Thanks for the help everyone.

Here is what I did

I had the Aero kit without trigger. I bought a LaRue mbt for an unknown project, and it found a home.

I bought a magpul moe sls with buffer tube from that giant sal jit did the other day. It has an Ar15 buffer and spring, but I can find a use for those or sell them.

I also had an ambi safety.

Lower is "built" minus buffer and spring.

I went with the carbine because I wanted adjustable length of pull.

Now I need to decide what caliber and find an upper.

I don't really need anything specific, so I may be open to other calibers.

Thanks again.

Don't forget that your gas system (Rifle, Mid, Carbine) will determine your buffer tube, buffer and spring. 16 inch barrel will generally be mid-length. 18-20" mid or rifle length gas systems. Upper and BCG will be the same for both .308 and 6.5. I got a lot of my stuff at Sporting Systems in Vancouver. They are a lot of help. You may have to stand in line there for a bit due to covid restrictions.

I have a Silent Captured Spring AR-10 Heavy H2 GEN 2

And this is the full build:
AERO M5E1 BUILDER SET W/15" HANDGUARD (regular old black)
Proof Research 16" CF PR-10 Barrel
SLR Ti Sentry8 w/Aero melonite gas tube
Deadair Keymount muzzle brake
Magpul MBUS gen2 front flip sights (with KNS 'V' notch post)
KAC Micro rear flip sight (peep)
Lantac 308 E-BCG
Radian NiB Raptor charging handle
Radian NiB Talon safety
Aero M5 td & pivot pins
V7 Ti bolt catch
V7 Ti mag release <<<found out later this was too short, had it threaded out too far and lost it on the range (order a longer/deeper button, or a mag release with a longer threaded rod, either or)
KNS anti walk pins
Hiperfire Eclipse
Magpul UBR gen2
JP Silent Captured Spring H2
Ergo Tactical Deluxe grip
V7 Ti grip screw

Absolutely no reason for the titanium parts other than I liked the color. Be prepared, these rifles are heavy!

Last Edited:
Don't forget that your gas system (Rifle, Mid, Carbine) will determine your buffer tube, buffer and spring. 16 inch barrel will generally be mid-length. 18-20" mid or rifle length gas systems. Upper and BCG will be the same for both .308 and 6.5. I got a lot of my stuff at Sporting Systems in Vancouver. They are a lot of help. You may have to stand in line there for a bit due to covid restrictions.

This isn't quite true. You can have a 20" barrel with rifle gas and a carbine buffer/tube/stock, or you could put a rifle-length buffer/tube/stock on a 14" barrel with carbine gas. There is definitely interaction between the two and some combinations will be easier to get working reliably, but with adjustable gas systems and different weights of BCG and buffers, you can make just about any combination work.

Last Edited:
This isn't quite true. You can have a 20" barrel with rifle gas and a carbine buffer/tube/stock, or you could put a rifle-length buffer/tube/stock on a 14" barrel with carbine gas. There is definitely interaction between the two and some combinations will be easier to get working reliably, but with adjustable gas systems and different weights of BCG and buffers, you can make just about any combination work.
I guess I should have said "generally speaking." Yes you are correct. I was considering that this seemed to be the OP's first M5 build and was offering basic information. There are a lot of variables based on the barrel/caliber he ends up buying.

For myself, there has to be a very specific and damn good reason NOT to use an A5 system, it is truly the best of both worlds. Bottom line, if it won't with an A5 you have bigger than buffer issues.

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/vltor-a5-buffer-system-overview.297340/

FYI, I never buy in "kit" form in favor of individual components, which at this point in time are all readily available and that is not always the case...A5H2 and A5H3 buffers are often out of stock, to a lessor degree so are the tubes, BCM has been the most consistently available with their RE.

My typical builds consist of:
Vltor A5H2 or A5H3 buffers depending on use
BCM Intermediate RE
Sprinco Green Spings