Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Advise needed, traveling to Califonia CCW laws...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Russianfist, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Russianfist

Russianfist Sweet home, Oregon Active Member

Hi all.

I am planning a trip to go see family in Califonia late summer and will be driving to San Diego through LA. I want to carry but I don't know what the regs are. Does anyone know where I can get info, or does anyone know first hand what the CCW laws are for out of state residences are?

2. gnarkill

gnarkill Richland, WA Member

3. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

Your best chance to be able to have a ccw in Kalifornia is if you can get Northern Cali to become a separate state and get your family to move up there. It'd be much easier than going to Southern Cali in hopes of CCW.:(

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  4. SICARIO

SICARIO Oregon City Active Member

5. Russianfist

Russianfist Sweet home, Oregon Active Member

Thanks for the links guys.

It's been a very long time since I have been down there and I see a few things have changed.
    You used to be able to get a CCW if you transported money from your business to the bank and things like that but WOW! How sad :(

I wonder how it works if you are an LEO from another state on vacation?

6. Karma

Karma the woods in Oregon Active Member

I had heard that a law was passed allowing LEO's to carry in every state. You might check it out.

7. greydog111

greydog111 peoples repubilik of Oregon Active Member

Best advice- Don't go. Cali is at best a third world society. The criminals have more rights than the law abiders, permits mostly don't exist, and if you can hold your gold plated "9" sideways and cap someones skanky a**, you are a winnah! Greydog.

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  8. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

I have a friend who's a retired deputy from Washington. He just keeps a card with his photo and name on that says he is retired from the King Co. Sheriff's Dept. That's all he needs to carry. Congress passed some law (I think during Bush admin) that allows current and retired military and leo to carry anywhere so long as they have their military or leo id badge.

9. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Trying to make sense out of the CA laws!!
    Going to be going from the Portland OR area to Phoenix A?Z with a couple day stop over in CA in our motorhome. I know my CPL (WA) and CWP (OR) are no good there. Trying to determine what I can take and how.
    Win 1300 in 12 GA with 18½" barrel I think is OK
    Kel-Tec SU16-C with 10 and 30 rd mag. Think I need to disassemble the mag while in CA.
    Taurus Public Defender not legal as it's a SBS in CA
    Kahr P45 with CT laser, OK
    Taurus PT-145 with LaserLyte laser, maybe OK
    Del-Ton AR-15, think it's considered an "Assault weapon" and, if a resident, requires registration, not sure about it if I'm just there a couple days.

Have tried Googling the laws and all it did was confuse me more!

10. BroncoFan

BroncoFan Eastern Oregon Well-Known Member

Advice - Don't carry concealed or if you do and get caught be prepared for SHTF. Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act of 2004 allows current qualified and some retired LEOs to carry exempt from state CCW laws but you're subject to federal laws. Other than that you're not good to go. Keep anything over 10 round capacity at home, especially evil black rifles with detachable mags (importation can be construed not to your benefit).
    Just got back from a week long trip to San Diego. Kept my glock in a locked container and ammo seperate until I got to my hotel room. Unnerving as bubblegum. Don't care to go back.
    Check out Handgunlaw.com Good info there.
    Handgunlaw.us

11. oldbrass

oldbrass WA Active Member

In washington you still need a CC permit for retired military, I retired from the army in `06 and asked the same thing, Its up to each individual state to decide on exemptions for permit fees, however you still have to do a background check, even retirees commit felonies.

12. shayne

shayne port townsend Active Member

When i drive through california my guns are cased ,locked and in the trunk and my rounds are in a locked box behind my seat . I reload as soon as i get in my hotel. I have read up and all of this is legal.

13. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

According to the sites I can take my 30 rd mags but they must be disassembled while in CA, AR's need to be locked in a case out of the passenger area.

I don't plan on concealed carry as I previously posted, I know my WA CPL and OR CCW are not any good there.

14. doubletap007

doubletap007 Beaverton Active Member

everyone should be sure to let the communist republic of california know that since they will not honor your second amendment rights as an american that you will no longer support their state by visiting,buying any california products,support their sports teams in any way,watch their movies produced in hollywood,or recognize them as an american state.

15. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

SHOW ME My son is in the military stationed in CA and thats not what he has to deal with.

16. Z-PDX

Z-PDX Clack Member

LEOSA act. LE only, not military. Current and retired (with card) LE only.

A couple random thoughts here. I travel to CA to see family on occasion. I carry. And I will tell you, even within the full bounds of the law, it is a risk. Albeit wildly slight. I am certain that every officer / deputy is not aware of the Federal provisions that grants LE the right to carry. And I don't want to be the one that they learn on. Very, very, very unlikely as I honestly can't see myself having any contact with another officer other than for a traffic ticket.

What's the real risk of carrying in CA? I can't imagine a scenario (outside of legit self-defense) where a squared-away, law abiding citizen, on vacation with their family would be subject to a person search. So the risk of getting caught seems about the same as getting struck by lightning. What is the risk of getting involved in a violent crime? The answer to that can vary.

But a man tasked with keeping his family safe must weigh the risks against the rewards.

I believe pepper spray is generally available in CA.

As always, check you local laws, internet advice is worth what you pay for it, caveat emptor, etc., etc.. ad infinitum.

17. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

This is pretty close to perfect answer here. I make the kid come see me.Hate that place.
    So be careful with the pepper spray too.
    The motor home becomes your abode when you are parked,so you can have a loaded gun...when staying the night at the RV park.
    The ARs are to have some button kit so the mags don't detach? or just 10 rounders can be installed? There is a kit if you were to go shooting there.

A coasty was under the belief that the reciprocity law passed and he could carry down there now.
    I told him he would end up in jail if caught. I think they would throw anybody they could in jail just to test
    And if you did defend yourself in a very cut and dry situation? No doubt some prosecutor would file murder charges against you.

Hey,have fun down there

18. shayne

shayne port townsend Active Member

i have a book called the travelers guide to the gun laws of the 50 states . It comes out every year and is pretty helpful.

19. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

What does it say for Cally? "Why you wanna go there?" Or "you're screwed" ?

20. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

Holy smoke! I have a whole extended family there. Nobody's been shot, raped, robbed, or frightened by minorities:paranoid: in 65 years.