JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm interested in buying or building a .22LR take-down rifle, but know little about them and not sure where to start. So, who makes good ones? Are there any that hold zero? What do you wish you'd known before buying yours?

Cheers!

Yeah I'd vote 10-22 Takedown. The AR-7 is ok, but kinda sketchy. I had one for a while, I'd not look at one again.

My youngest son has a 10/22 takedown. Very nice rifle..!! I haven't gotten behind it, but he's very happy with it. Given the amount of aftermarket stuff available, I think it would be high on my list of firearms to consider.

I've been looking at the ruger 10/22 takedown. It's been advised, from what I've seen, that you stick with barrel mounted sights as the connection between barrel and receiver will not be good enough to maintain accuracy. Then again, how far are you shooting a takedown?

AR7 is a flimsy toy, I've had two different sorts. I had a Norinco Chinese browning copy that shot well, as did the browning itself. So close was the copy you could use browning parts. Still, not up to snuff in my mind. I didn't like the ammo loading and ejection down the sleeve.
If you really want to put one together out of the sock and repeatedly find zero, I'd go with something newer and less Buck Rogers-esk, Also a little magazine instead of a tube would be a real plus.
Not had one, but the Ruger 22 back packer looked plausible when I saw them. but hands on should tell for sure.

I have owned many older single shot bolt action .22LR rifles.
And while not really a "take down"....they all came apart with a single screw... ( The receiver / barrel and the stock )
As a general rule held they all held their zero with either iron sights or a scope.

The Stevens Favorite is a excellent take rifle , with a falling block action.

Might be a option here for the OP.
Andy

If it's intention is for small compact survival thingy. Ruger or Ruger clone take down is extremely hard to beat. The Magpul stock one is damn cool and would fit the bill as a survival weapon. If that's what you are going for. If you are not going for survival/preparedness I'd say pass on the takedown. I owned one when they first came out. Sold it after a few years. Really cool concept, but if you don't see yourself needing it for survival or plan on keeping it stored broken down in a small case for survival it's rather pointless and I'd say just get a regular rifle. I basically stored mine assembled in a safe, and because it came with a neat little bag, I'd take it apart to transport it, then reassemble it at the range, after I realized how stupid that was I just sold it and stuck with regular 22lr rifles.
1629747957460.jpeg
The only one that still intrigues the crap out of me is the Tactical Solutions Owyhee. It is a takedown bolt action based on the 10-22. I only wish they would make a non takedown version.
1629747978345.jpeg
Edited to add:

If you want something small for storage or transport, I'd highly recommend a pistol or SBR over a takedown. A 10-22 pistol or SBR or 22lr based AR15 can be very small and you are not truly loosing much over a 16" barrel. 0134036D-470F-4E1E-A57E-19F736160B6D.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top