JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Y'all have probably heard it all before but I was unable to find conclusive answers for these questions...

First off lets assume I've already found the perfect ammunition to use for the set up and that the factory barrel has already been threaded.

I'm thinking of getting a 6" silencer for my Beretta 92 but I'm not sure of the following:

- For the 92 is a muzzle booster/indexing piston required for the gun to function reliably?
- Will adding a silencer without a muzzle booster on a 92 damage the gun (with and without reduced power springs)
- Does the silencer have any chance of bending from being mounted without a muzzle booster/indexing piston in the 92?
- Is having extremely tight matching threads necasassry even when both the suppresor and the barrel are advertised as having the same thread?
- Would using crush washers dangerously increase the chance of baffle strikes even with a hole diameter of say 0.4219 inches for 9mm?

These are my questions which I've struggled to find definitive answers for. I understand that some might say, and might say correctly, that "...well it depends" but I am looking for deffinitive answers. Essentially, what is the consensus of seasoned silencer community? Also I read somewhere that with 92s, locking block modifications or straight up custom (oversized and fit basically) locking blocks may be required or may solve/limit the negative outcomes of these issues. Thats more of a 92 specific question but if anyone knows anything about it I'd be all ears.

Anyway thanks for reading, just want to make sure I don't blow my fingers off/damage my precious 92.

Hope y'all had a happy thanksgiving

Last Edited:
Crush washers are a no go. As in, don't even consider thinking about it.

Without a Nielsen device the 92 does not cycle reliably. I have tested this.

I don't understand about the tight threads. Any reputable silencer and threaded barrel will have very tight tolerances. It is a moot point. I use a silencerco omega 9k with piston and spring. With mine

My 92 certainly was not damaged by using a fixed barrel threaded adapter. It just didn't cycle reliably. Because the barrel does not tip, I wanted to see what it would do. It was inconsistent , but it cycled more than I thought it would though. However the opposite is not true. Putting a Nielsen device on a fixed barrel rifle will mess it up potentially by the silencer jackhammering on the barrel.

But just get the piston for your 92. It works a lot better. Which silencer are you looking at?

Any can weighing more than ~6 oz will impact your 92 cycling.
Liberty boosters are great. Lil spendy. There are a few more that work well for cheaper. SDTA makes a reasonable price one. BOOSTER
Whatever you buy, thread pattern is what matters, so watch that.

Last Edited:
- For the 92 is a muzzle booster/indexing piston required for the gun to function reliably?

Yes, most of the time. I've seen some old pistols that will cycle with very lightweight cans, but most require a reduced weight recoil spring and/or hammer spring.

- Will adding a silencer without a muzzle booster on a 92 damage the gun (with and without reduced power springs)

Adding the suppressor will not damage the gun, but shooting it with a reduced recoil spring and no suppressor might.

- Does the silencer have any chance of bending from being mounted without a muzzle booster/indexing piston in the 92?

Only if dropped on a hard surface from a high enough height. It would also do the same without a booster.

- Is having extremely tight matching threads necessary even when both the suppressor and the barrel are advertised as having the same thread?

On the 92, if it's an original barrel that has aftermarket threading, you only have 0.330" of thread, so tighter threads will prevent it from unscrewing.

- Would using crush washers dangerously increase the chance of baffle strikes even with a hole diameter of say 0.4219 inches for 9mm?

Don't use crush washers when mounting silencers, they pretty well grantee alignment problems.

Also I read somewhere that with 92s, locking block modifications or straight up custom (oversized and fit basically) locking blocks may be required or may solve/limit the negative outcomes of these issues.

Not aware of anyone making oversized Beretta 92 locking blocks designed to be fitted. If you want to get it to run without a booster, you'll most likely need to change the recoil and hammer spring. The Factory recoil sprig weight is 13 lbs and hammer spring is 19 lbs. You'll have to reduce the recoil to around 10ish pounds and the hammer spring to 18 lbs. That been said, it can vary greatly from gun to gun. You might try Brownell's part # 965-322-000WB, this has a 10lb recoil spring and 18lb hammer spring. Even with this it may not cycle with heavier cans. You'll want to limit your use to 147grn or heavier ammo as lighter weight ammo may cause damage to the frame.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top