Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Advice requested regarding 1911 type .45 ACP purchase

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PMB, Apr 7, 2013.

1. PMB

PMB Vancouver, Washington Active Member

Howdy all,
    I don't know enough to go out and buy a .45 ACP at the moment.
    I have seen so many people selling different models, and most sellers talk about the good points. Also seen quite a lot of comments from guys asking for trades, and lots of them say things about "But no Kimbers!" Or "No Glocks!" or "No.....___________"

All of my handguns are S&W, Ruger, Colt or quite old.

I know that there are going to be personal experiences with the companies- but does anyone have an objective way to figure out the long term durability and design quality without buying each one ?

Maybe a good link to someone's review of the top 10, or something like that?

Thanks!

2. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Maybe the person doing the advertising has too many Kimbers, or Glocks, of Kahr's or whatever.

Personally I like Kimbers but also own Kahr's S&W's, KelTec, Taurus, etc.

3. revjen45

revjen45 Snohomish County Well-Known Member

Buy the best you can afford. #1: Colt Series 70.

HKFooey, carracer, rocky3 and 5 others like this.
  4. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

m1911.org

I have two Colts, and one Ed Brown. You get what you pay for. Be patient. Stay away from The Brazilian and Philippine guns.

KTM530XCW and (deleted member) like this.
  5. ron

ron Vancouver, Washington Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I have bought and sold many 1911s over the years of competitive shooting. In the old days if you wanted the best you bought a Colt and then spent
    hundreds of dollars on tightening the barrel and slide, sights, beaver-tail grip safety, ect. The Colts today are a little better but in my opinion you are
    paying a lot for the name 'Colt'. I have owned Colts (including Gold Cups), Kimbers, Springfield Armory, ect. Now you can buy a 1911 with all the stuff
    we use to pay a Gunsmith to install. My old Kimber that was made in Clackamas after many thousand of rounds shoots excellent groups as good as any 1911
    I have owned. I have heard of problems with newer Kimbers but I have no first hand experience with the new Kimbers. The new Springfield's I consider are top
    grade 1911s. I have shot the Ruger 1911. Fit and finish and accuracy is top notch. If cost is not an issue the 'custom' grade 1911s are definitely
    a cut above the 'production' 1911s. Such as Les Baer, Ed Brown

6. jb11

jb11 salem Active Member

I loved my colt gold cup series 70 national match.I sold it like an idiot and I have not stopped kicking myself for it for the past 7 years.

7. nautox

nautox Kirkland, WA Member

This article has helped me a lot whenever I get the 1911 bug.
    He actually bought and shot many 1911's from hundreds to thousands of dollars and wrote a good unbiased thread about them.

Buyer's guide for all you 1911 addicts......

BAMCIS and (deleted member) like this.
  8. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

basically they are all good, people chose which one they have 1) because that is what they can afford or 2) they have a bias towards one brand over another 3) that was the type that was available when they were looking for a 1911.
    there really isn't a bad type of 1911 or any other type of gun nowadays because if a company is putting out a bad gun they will not be in business for very long
    my :twocents:

9. Rotty

Rotty Skagit County Active Member

I'll have to say my experience with 1911 style handguns is very limited. I am liking the CZ97 that was recommended to me a few months ago. Easy to use, so far very reliable and I find it to be very accurate. What attracted me to the CZ97 is that it has a 10 round magazine vs an 8 round mag and the excellent reviews.

Based on this forum I have also looked at the Kimbers, S&W & Citadel style 1911's. Good luck with your search and if you are able to test fire a few then I would recommend doing so. I found my search for a 1911 to be rather exciting.

Please share your findings. I am always interested to hear what other's discover.

10. theficklefinger

theficklefinger Eugene New Member

Tons of crap out there and everyone who ever pulled a trigger likes to play arm chair gun expert. Start doing your home work if you care, or walk in like other idiots to S/M gunstore and have someone that never goes shooting tell you what to buy.

11. Grommit327

Grommit327 Buckley Active Member

For a good value 1911 the Ruger is hard to beat. I like Kimbers but they are very hit or miss. Nothing wrong with Springfield either

12. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

I hate SM gunstore. Its a long story but they don't get any of my business ever since when I was in AFG I sent my wife went in there looking for a particular AR. They were condescending toward her for being a woman and asking about an AR they never heard of. "If I've never heard of it then it's not worth having". She ran out of there as fast as she could.

Oh, and the AR in question was BCM. Now I own three of them.

Back to the subject at hand: To the OP (PMB) as I alluded to earlier half the fun in finding "The gun" is in the search itself.

13. dobeman

dobeman Hillsboro Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

no 1911 expert here, but if you get a spec-compliant 1911, all parts from one should be interchangeable with another. When you start customizing, you might lose some of that.

and depends on what you want the 1911 for - to remember the years gone by... i.e. a true original military 1911... I guess what else is a 1911 good for - to lob .45 bullets. How accurately you want to lob those bullets will determine to an extent the model gun you buy, or, how much work you have done it after you buy it.

1911 has it's critics. Some say it's a crappy gun. I've heard it said by internet people claiming to have been in the military that you can put a 1911 in a bag, shake it, and end up with a disassembled bag of 1911 parts. I don't quite believe that.. but anyway.

there are other ways to get into .45ACP than the 1911 of course. I have a 1911 built on an Essex frame (no name 1911) and a Kahr compact model 45.

and it's always nice to simply buy the best one can afford, but all of us don't have the money tree in the yard, so buy something decent that you can still afford.

14. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

If $ are unlimited: Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Dan Wesson. My personal choice would be the Dan Wesson Valor.
    Dan Wesson Valor | CZ-USA

I am quite happy with my Springfield Loaded (model PX9109LP). I was seeking this exact model since i think it has a reasonable balance of features for the price. It is a full-size 5" model (aka Government model) and includes night sights. I've only taken it to the range once but I shot 150 rounds without a single problem. The pistol was also accurate and consistent at 25 yards (I am no ace shooter).
    Springfield Armory

I did purchase some additional "47D" magazines from Wilson Combat.
    Wilson Combat 1911 Magazine | 8 Round .45 ACP | Full-Size-Wilson Combat

Peter

15. DeanfromOregon

DeanfromOregon Wilsonville Amateur Ascended Master Platinum Supporter

When I got my first one I just fondled them all and bought the one that felt the best in my hand and had the best trigger for me. I had four distinct brands to choose from. I have a couple more now and still no regrets but that first one is still the one that feels the best to me.

Knowing what I know now, I can see I got lucky. :)

16. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

After you narrow down your choices go here 1911 Manufacturers - 1911Forum and go to the subforums for the manufacturers you are interested in. See what owners of those brands of pistols have to say about them. You can also ask questions about different models.

17. Boedy

Boedy Sublimity, Oregon, United States Active Member

Dan Wesson CBOB is what I have and its a fine weapon. I have had a few Kimbers in my day but but prefer the Dannys.

18. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

a good place to start your collection, and it will be a collection. Is a metro Arms American Classic II.
    "Stay away from The Brazilian and Philippine guns." horse apples. Metro Arms are from the P.I and wonderful well made gun it is too. I carry it. I shoot it and never a problem with it.

19. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

I'm picking up my Colt 70 Repo today!

20. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Just like AR's, everyone and their brother is making a 1911.

But sad to say they ain't like the days of yore when one company (Colt) was making everything. Now you have many companies contracting out their parts to many other companies, and who knows where the specs are when they get to the dealer shelf.

Most are put together by assemblers. If one part doesn't fit, they reach back into the bin and try another until they get one that does. Not the way to pass on quality to the buyer.

I'd recommend Colt, Dan Wesson and STI. They have the least amount of warranty returns per x number of 1911's sold.

If ya need some help with the internal clockwork, drop me a PM and wwe can get together and I'll go over the workings with you. No charge...